• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Thread

hammer

Greg said:
Exactly. In fact the plumber that installed it in our house never even tapped the line. It's a simple matter of clamping it on a cold water pipe nearest to where you need to run up behind the fridge and then turn the valve to tap the line. Piece of cake. Depending on how long you need to run the tube, it's a 20 minute thing, tops.
Those valves are neat, but one caution...I had one installed in my basement to run a water line for a whole house humidifier and the valve would tend to get clogged...

loafer89

Marc said:
Example #3,453,265,301 of how anecdotal and individual experiences often mean little or next to nothing when quantifying the reliability of a brand or model.

And it always seems to be either cars or appliances, but holds true for most other things as well.

Maytag just settled a class action lawsuit over problems with the Neptune front load washer and dryer, so my trouble with their products is not an isolated thing. The washer caused flood damage to my ceiling (I have an upstairs laundry room) when the main circuit board fried and the washer door opened after the wash cycle.

As Greg mentioned he has had no problems with his machines, perhaps they are not Neptune front loading machines? If not, these are the model numbers covered in the lawsuit settlement:

List of Included Model Numbers:

MLE2000AYW

MLE2000AWW
MLE2000AZW
MLG2000AWW (GAS STACK UNIT)
MAH3000AAW
MAH3000AEW
MAH3000AGW
MAH3000AWA
MAH3000AWW​

MAH3000BGW

MAH4000AWW
MAH4000BWW
MAH4000AWQ
MAH4000BWQ
MAH5500AWW
MAH5500BWW
MAH5500BWQ
MAH55FLBWW
MAH55FLBWQ
MAH6500AWW
MAH6500AWQ
MAH7500AWW
MAH7500AWQ
MAH7550AAW
MAH7550AGW​

div.gif

Home | Important Dates | Maytag® Neptune® Model Numbers | Class Notice

Greg

Staff member
smitty77 said:
My next project is a drop ceiling for the basement.
How did this go? Any hints/tricks? Seemes pretty straightforward once you get the perimeter of the grid installed, but I'd be interested in hearing any feedback as I've never done it. I'm nowhere near doing this as I still have some walls to build, doors to install and a bunch of sheetrock to hang, but the suspended ceiling is part of the project so I figured I'd ask.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
As Greg mentioned he has had no problems with his machines, perhaps they are not Neptune front loading machines?
No. As I said, they were very basic top loading washer and electric dryer. A few different settings, but really pretty basic. I think both costed less than a grand.

loafer89

Greg said:
No. As I said, they were very basic top loading washer and electric dryer. A few different settings, but really pretty basic. I think both costed less than a grand.

We went with their most advanced new models and it was a disaster almost from the start. They paid for the circuit board repair after we called and complained about the damage that the washer had caused. I think they knew at that point that they had problems with the machine.

We just spent $600 last month to replace the front door of the washer because the rubber gasket had torn and the washer was leaking water.

We are staying far, far away from their line of products in the future. I heard there quality slipped alot in th past few years. I bought them because my parents had Maytag stuff with little or no problems for better than 20 years.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Greg said:
How did this go? Any hints/tricks? Seemes pretty straightforward once you get the perimeter of the grid installed, but I'd be interested in hearing any feedback as I've never done it. I'm nowhere near doing this as I still have some walls to build, doors to install and a bunch of sheetrock to hang, but the suspended ceiling is part of the project so I figured I'd ask.

It's not too bad. Draw it out first so the cut ceiling tiles end up in smart places.

BeanoNYC

What kind of ceiling tiles will you be using Greg? Ones that sit flat on the grid or drop down a half inch or so?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg said:
I've not yet started... Probably wait until next winter when work gets slow again. I helped my grandfather hang one in our old kitchen about 15 years ago, and from what I remember it wasn't too bad once you got the perimeter rails hung. A co-worker has one of those neat lasers that mount to the wall, so that should help things out. As Kofer suggested, plan your 'grid' so that all of your cuts appear balanced and in less noticeable places. As for tiles, I'm leaning toward something a little on the fancy side that sits right on the rail. The ones that drop below are nice looking, but every cut tile needs some special "milling" with a razor blade to match the notched profile in the tile edge. Pain in the @$$ - Granpda cut at least a dozen like this. They had some nice pseudo pressed-tin-looking designs at Lowes or Home Depot, and I may go that route if I can find something I like.

Like a lot of projects, some careful planning and attention to details in the beginning (ie getting all of your perimeter and cross rails hanging plumb) will make the job go much quicker.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
This my ever continuing DIY project. I did have someone help me with the roof rafters, I hired a pro to tape the drywall and of course hired an electrician to wire the place. Other than that I pretty much did the rest myself, the inside is completed and we moved into the addition over a year ago. I am planning to have it totally completed by Aug 1st...my wife believes that too:lol: I have several other projects going on as well. I am addicted to This Old House on PBS but do not have the DIY network on the cable.

addition.jpg

Last edited:

noski

ski_resort_observer said:
This my ever continuing DIY project. I did have someone help me with the roof rafters, I hired a pro to tape the drywall and of course hired an electrician to wire the place. Other than that I pretty much did the rest myself, the inside is completed and we moved into the addition over a year ago. I am planning to have it totally completed by Aug 1st...my wife believes that too:lol: I have several other projects going on as well. I am addicted to This Old House on PBS but do not have the DIY network on the cable.]

interesting use of a pool ladder......is that a coincidence that it is leaning there, or do you really go up on and down off your deck on it...???

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
noski said:
interesting use of a pool ladder......is that a coincidence that it is leaning there, or do you really go up on and down off your deck on it...???

Boy...nothing gets by you..:lol: Just a temp place for it. Unfortunately, cleaning the pool and getting it in shape for the summer has to get done by June 15th. I bought a used above ground pool, nothing fancy or really that expensive, for my youngest daughter, took me 2 weeks to put it in last summer. It's actually nice to finally buy something the kids want and actually use!!! I have yet to set foot in it. I'm a lake guy.

Greg

Staff member
smitty77 said:
I've not yet started... Probably wait until next winter when work gets slow again. I helped my grandfather hang one in our old kitchen about 15 years ago, and from what I remember it wasn't too bad once you got the perimeter rails hung. A co-worker has one of those neat lasers that mount to the wall, so that should help things out. As Kofer suggested, plan your 'grid' so that all of your cuts appear balanced and in less noticeable places. As for tiles, I'm leaning toward something a little on the fancy side that sits right on the rail. The ones that drop below are nice looking, but every cut tile needs some special "milling" with a razor blade to match the notched profile in the tile edge. Pain in the @$$ - Granpda cut at least a dozen like this. They had some nice pseudo pressed-tin-looking designs at Lowes or Home Depot, and I may go that route if I can find something I like.

Like a lot of projects, some careful planning and attention to details in the beginning (ie getting all of your perimeter and cross rails hanging plumb) will make the job go much quicker.
Thanks for the tips. Keep us posted on your progress. My deck installation commences this Saturday. One thing at a time. I could take two months off and work full time just on the house and still probably not get everything done...

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
So my delivery of 141 pieces of 2x8 and 5/4x6 pressure treated lumber arrived yesterday! :-o Gonna be a busy weekend. :D Hope it stays somewhat dry... :roll:
It took the better part of two (partly rainy) weekends, but framing is complete:

deck.jpg

Greg

Staff member
ckofer said:
This may sound weird but I'd put plastic sheeting under it now. Keeps weeds in check and prevents some moisture wicking.
Under it, as in under the joists, or the decking? I would think that in either case plastic would retain moisture. I plan to eventually screen in the area under the upper deck so I might tack down dome screening under the decking though.

skijay

I bought appliance number 1, the dishwasher. I went with another Kitchen Aid, but this is their "Pro Line". The KA fridge I was going to buy, did not match completely. The grain of the Stainless Steel is different (vertical vs horizontal). The scary thing about this dishwasher is that it makes hardly any noise. You only here the water leaving it! I thought it was broken at first.

Anybody who I told about my appliance purchases thinks I am some type of chef, I just respond and say I want something that will last 25 yrs like the factory appliances that were new to the house. Primary methods of cooking: Microwave, gas grill, convection oven.

I have been looking for the fridge and may just buy it online if I have to.
I found this one:

http://www.us-appliance.com/kski25cuft355.html

ALLSKIING

Staff member
skijay said:
I bought appliance number 1, the dishwasher. I went with another Kitchen Aid, but this is their "Pro Line". The KA fridge I was going to buy, did not match completely. The grain of the Stainless Steel is different (vertical vs horizontal). The scary thing about this dishwasher is that it makes hardly any noise. You only here the water leaving it! I thought it was broken at first.

Anybody who I told about my appliance purchases thinks I am some type of chef, I just respond and say I want something that will last 25 yrs like the factory appliances that were new to the house. Primary methods of cooking: Microwave, gas grill, convection oven.

I have been looking for the fridge and may just buy it online if I have to.
I found this one:

http://www.us-appliance.com/kski25cuft355.html
I don't know your price range but you can't go wrong with Sub-Zero http://www.subzero.com/subzero/description.asp?id=700TF

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
It took the better part of two (partly rainy) weekends, but framing is complete:

deck.jpg
And.............Done! :)

deck1.jpg

Terry

Looks good Greg. Good job. I am starting in on fixing my foundation this morning. It is a split stone foundation and the bottom stone is tipping into the cellar. The plan is to lift the house slightly to unload the stones, work out the top three stones on blockings and reset the bottom one. It should be interesting as I have never done this sort of work before. I have a friend who knows how to do it and I swapped labor with him. He is helping me , and I am helping him fix up an old truck. These stones are 30" tall and 8 - 10 feet long granite. He says it will be easy so we will see. I will keep you updated on the progress. By the way this is on a 200 year old farmhouse! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Terry said:
Looks good Greg. Good job. I am starting in on fixing my foundation this morning. It is a split stone foundation and the bottom stone is tipping into the cellar. The plan is to lift the house slightly to unload the stones, work out the top three stones on blockings and reset the bottom one. It should be interesting as I have never done this sort of work before. I have a friend who knows how to do it and I swapped labor with him. He is helping me , and I am helping him fix up an old truck. These stones are 30" tall and 8 - 10 feet long granite. He says it will be easy so we will see. I will keep you updated on the progress. By the way this is on a 200 year old farmhouse! :beer:
Sounds like one helluva project! How'd you make out so far, Terry?