• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Thread

Terry

I did some work with granite slabs last summer and it is amazing how accurately you can cut those big slabs by drilling and using feathers and wedges. It was a stressfull but fun project. PS - it is also back breaking work!

ctenidae

Nice work, Greg. Looks great.

We installed our kitchen cabinets last weekend, laid a room of hardwood floor in the study, laid the tile floor in the kitchen on Monday night, grouted Wednesday night, then took down 3 cabinets to install a fridge panel and re-hung the cabinets last night. Fun.

This weekend is for pouring the concrete contertops, installing microwave (best part: stove and oven are 220, microwave is 110 plug in. Get to run yet another electric line.) and dishwasher, hanging shelves, and installing the backsplash.

Our living room is a disaster area. I've got to get the kitchen done soon just to get to some level or normalcy.

hammer

I have a small area of wall space in my kitchen that I'm going to put tile on. I have the "score and snap" type of tile cutter, a pair of tile nippers, and a tile cutter attachment for my Dremel to handle the small stuff.

I know that I'm going to have to make some "notch" cuts in tile near where there are corners in the cabinets but I think I would only need to do a few of those. I'm guessing that the cuts for the outlets don't have to be too precise, either, since those will be covered.

Is it worth it for me to invest in any type of a wet saw? After I'm done with this project, I would not expect to be doing any more tile jobs for some time...

ctenidae

I can't imagine you'd need to own one... you can probably rent a wet saw from Home Despot....

You can buy one for $80 and take your time, or you can rent one for $45 a day, make at least two 2 hour trips to Home Cheapo, and then have to stay up all night finishing so you can avoid another day's charge.

We bought one. Of course, we did tile in 3 separate sections, and will be doing more eventually.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
If you just need to notch a few tiles you may be better to own a 4" angle grinder and an appropriate wheel. This is a pretty handy tool to own as you can install metal cut-off wheels for zipping through metal things.

It's also possible that all you need is a tile scriber:

hr.gif

In this section:
hr.gif

This page is © Copyright 2001-2008 helpwithdiy.com
hr.gif

Before you follow this guide you must read and agree to the terms of our disclaimer.
hr.gif

safety.gif
When working with ceramic tiles always wear safety goggles and thick work gloves !

Ceramic tiles can be extremely sharp when trimmed or cut.
hr.gif

Cutting tiles with a tile scriber

using-tile-scriber.gif
After marking the tile for cutting, place it face up on a solid surface.

Place a steel rule (or suitable straight edged guide) on the tile and line the ends up with your cut marks.

When you are happy with the positioning, use the tile scriber to firmly score the tile from top to bottom.

Some thicker tiles may need extra attention paid to the edges, score these independently if required. Once you have scored the tile, get to hand a chopping board (or similar) and a piece of thin wire.

Place the piece of wire onto the board in a perfectly straight line, it is better to attach the wire to the board if you are making a lot of cuts.

Position the tile face up onto the board lining up the wire with the score mark at the top and bottom of the tile, once positioned correctly apply pressure to both edges of the tile at the same time, the tile should break along the score mark leaving a clean cut.
hr.gif

© Copyright 2001-2008 helpwithdiy.com
hr.gif

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
New project:

Install natural stone veneer on cellar wall. I have been looking down the cellar steps at this concrete for about 7 years. I scored this nice flat rock from a commercial lot which I own and did the site work on last fall.

So far it's going okay but it's a damn good thing I'm not in a hurry.

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

tree_skier

I can't imagine you'd need to own one... you can probably rent a wet saw from Home Despot....

When I put the travertine down on my kitchen I bought a wet saw ($80) from home depot as it was about the same as a 1 day rental. Now it isn't as good as the rental units but it did the job and I still have it.

Isn't it one of our jobs to collect the most tools?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bump

Getting to be that time of year again.

Anyone know anything about wood routers, I was thinking of getting one, just not sure how much use I may get out of it.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Many years ago when I was a young wippersnapper I built stairs for Pulte Homes out in Wyoming and a router was one of my main tools. One use is if you want to put fancy edges on any piece of wood furniture and you can use them to make diferent ways for joining boards.Lots of diferents bits to figure out.

ctenidae

Bump

Getting to be that time of year again.

Anyone know anything about wood routers, I was thinking of getting one, just not sure how much use I may get out of it.

A router is one of those tools that is absolutely indispensible for the jobs you need it for.

And unless you're doing heavy woodwork, you'll probably need it twice in your life. They are great for edges (especially if you can put the side you mess up on towards the wall), they're good for routing out slots for shelves (if youcan put a tall book in to cover up the part you mess up), they're good for burning up wood, and they're awesome for covering everything within 50 feet in 1/2 inch of fine sawdust.

Paul

A router is one of those tools that is absolutely indispensible for the jobs you need it for.

And unless you're doing heavy woodwork, you'll probably need it twice in your life. They are great for edges (especially if you can put the side you mess up on towards the wall), they're good for routing out slots for shelves (if youcan put a tall book in to cover up the part you mess up), they're good for burning up wood, and they're awesome for covering everything within 50 feet in 1/2 inch of fine sawdust.

Agreed, however you can get a good router for under $200 if you look around. Its the cost of the bits that ends-up killing you.

Greg

Staff member
20 yards of top soil sitting at the end of my driveway. Gonna be a challenging next couple of weeks... :-o

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Cleaned out the garden beds and cut back a bunch of stuff. I should really mow my lawn but never got around to getting gas for the mower. Also restained a few tables. I guess its that time of year.