• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Thread

ctenidae

We've now ripped out our bathroom, and I'll be roughing in new plumbing this week. Went and dropped $1,300 at Home Depot for tile, pipe, drywall, and Wonderboard.

There's nothing I love more than loading up a bunch of drywall, except maybe unloading it. Urgh.

....glass coffee tables and rolled up benny's? that how you roll? :lol:

LMBFAO...well my coffee table is disgusting and painted black..but when I move into a new apartment..I want a glass coffee table...and I haven't done cocaine in months..lol

Ikea is where I buy furniture and some of it requires assembly..which I'm bad at but my Mom helps.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
We've now ripped out our bathroom, and I'll be roughing in new plumbing this week. Went and dropped $1,300 at Home Depot for tile, pipe, drywall, and Wonderboard.

There's nothing I love more than loading up a bunch of drywall, except maybe unloading it. Urgh.

The only thing worse is carrying bundles of shingles up a two floors on an extension ladder. Not too much drywall for a bathroom just be glad your not hucking 4x12 sheets for a whole house. :wink: Transporting 400 cement blocks for the foundation of my addition with a wheelbarrel down a hill was not fun either. :lol:

Moe Ghoul

Good to see hands on peeps getting it done. My wife has been after me to fancy up the counters and backsplash in the kitchen. I can shoot down granite, now that they've revealed it emits radon. Marble is too soft and stains. I kinda like what they are doing with conrete countertops. Maybe next year, lol.

ctenidae

Good to see hands on peeps getting it done. My wife has been after me to fancy up the counters and backsplash in the kitchen. I can shoot down granite, now that they've revealed it emits radon. Marble is too soft and stains. I kinda like what they are doing with conrete countertops. Maybe next year, lol.

I did concrete in my kitchen. Biggest peice of advice I can give you- get a mixer.
Hand mixing 19 bags of cement is not fun, expecially since by the time you get the last bag mixed, the first ones you poured have started to set up.

ctenidae

The only thing worse is carrying bundles of shingles up a two floors on an extension ladder. Not too much drywall for a bathroom just be glad your not hucking 4x12 sheets for a whole house. :wink: Transporting 400 cement blocks for the foundation of my addition with a wheelbarrel down a hill was not fun either. :lol:

Better down the hill than up, I suppose. I did about 400 bricks a couple of months ago- I still don't have any discernable fingerprints.

Only 7 sheets of 4x8 drywall and 5 3x5 Wonderboard, so not too terrible. 15 cases of 12x12 marble, though. And 3 bags of concrete, 2 bags of thin set, and 2 bags of grout. And 25 2x4s.

Moe Ghoul

I did concrete in my kitchen. Biggest peice of advice I can give you- get a mixer.
Hand mixing 19 bags of cement is not fun, expecially since by the time you get the last bag mixed, the first ones you poured have started to set up.

If I know myself, I'll get counters made from some faux finish material, some of the product looks decent. Then I just need a plumber for the sink, and I can tile the backsplash. My old formica counters still look good, a little Bon Ami and they come up spotless. I hate tearing something out that still looks good and is functional.

deadheadskier

Staff member
ctenidae

were you a contractor in a former profession? Seems like no DIY home project is off limits with you. I'll do some basic stuff, but crap like concrete counter tops and plumbing.....I'll pass.

ctenidae

ctenidae

were you a contractor in a former profession? Seems like no DIY home project is off limits with you. I'll do some basic stuff, but crap like concrete counter tops and plumbing.....I'll pass.

I think I helped build the Pyramids in a former life. Which would explin the enjoyment of beer.

Really, there are very few jobs I won't do. I do draw the line at connecting things to the breaker box or tying into the sewer lines. You know, the kinds of things that, if done wrong, are really a problem.

Terry

I am working on a laundry room project for my wife. It is kind of a standing joke between us, because I started it 20 years ago and never got very far. I have restarted it this summer. It is now plumbed, wired, insulated, walls are sheetrocked, taped and mudded. Next step is to sheetrock the cielling and then tile the floor. The only work I have ever hired out in my house has been the installation of a new electrical panel. This had to be done by a licenced electrician. :beer:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I am working on a laundry room project for my wife. It is kind of a standing joke between us, because I started it 20 years ago and never got very far. I have restarted it this summer. It is now plumbed, wired, insulated, walls are sheetrocked, taped and mudded. Next step is to sheetrock the cielling and then tile the floor. The only work I have ever hired out in my house has been the installation of a new electrical panel. This had to be done by a licenced electrician. :beer:

So far that's pretty much the only thing I won't do in my new old house, is anything that requires a licensed electrician for the permit. Other than that.... game on.

Terry

Oh and I almost forgot- I hired a guy to pour my garage floor because I didn't want to f#&% it up!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh and I almost forgot- I hired a guy to pour my garage floor because I didn't want to f#&% it up!

That's typically my only concern with doing various projects. I'll sheet rock, paint etc, but anything that I couldn't redo for cheap following a mistake, I'll leave to a pro.

BeanoNYC

I'm pretty proud of my latest electrical install. What do you guys think?

shower.JPG