• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Summer Vacation

Where do you like to spend your summer vacation and why?

• Ocean/Beach

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Mountains/Lake

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Home

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

drjeff

Not so much a vacation as I live there but I spend most of my time on Lake Hopatcong. We get to the shore to see friends every once in a while and go to the Pocono house every once in a while too. Summer hasn't been a great time to vacation recently with kids activities that seem to go year round. By next summer my daughter should be driving which should change things a bit.

Best summer vacation we had was back in 2004 when we spent a week on Lake Winnipesaukee. What a beautiful place and stacked with activities. Someday I'll get my house up there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I basically spent a good deal of my summers growing up on Winnipesaukee as my grandparents owned a house right on the lake in Wolfeboro. That's a body of water that I really enjoy. Me and my 13' boston whaler with the 25hp mercury hanging off the back on Winnipesaukee is/are the source of countless great memories of my youth! :)

bvibert

Staff member
I tend not to take summer vacations, but if I do I prefer to be in the mountains.

2knees

we go all over. We always do a week at the cape. Been going to Eastham for years as there are a couple of houses on my side of the family. Last 2 years have been at popponesset beach near barnstable. I prefer the eastham vibe but i wont get into that argument. We also go to New Hampshire, usually for a wrap around weekend. like thurs- mon. this year got truncated for various reasons. Alot of weekends in marshfield, as my mother in law lives right near Green Harbor and various weekends at the previously mentioned houses at the cape.

I love the beach. I love laying around doing nothing. to each their own.

ERJ-145CA

I thought it was only 18 miles...

Good place to go...as a former "local", I remember that the place was especially nice in September after the crowds left. What town do you usually stay in?

Maybe it is only 18 miles, I just pulled 22 off the top of my head. I stay anywhere that I find a place at the right price, usually on the Southern half of the island in the Beach Haven area, but I did stay in Ship Bottom one year.

hammer

Maybe it is only 18 miles, I just pulled 22 off the top of my head. I stay anywhere that I find a place at the right price, usually on the Southern half of the island in the Beach Haven area, but I did stay in Ship Bottom one year.
My grandmother owned a beach house in North Beach Haven (3 story, wrap-around porch)...used to go there on a regular basis in the summertime. We lived right on the mainland so the drive wasn't too long.

When I went to the beach on Ship Bottom a few years ago, I was a bit disappointed to see that they were having to add sand from the mainland to the beaches. I never appreciated it growing up, but the beach on LBI is definitely one of the nicer ones I've been to.

Nowadays going to the beach is no big deal for me...would rather head to the mountains.

dmc

Maybe it is only 18 miles, I just pulled 22 off the top of my head.

I'm sure it was 22 at some point... Who knows - in a decade it could be only 10 miles...

Such is the life of a barrier island... Unless all the rich people pay to move sand... then the poor beaches will suffer...
At one point the was an inlet somewhere around Beach haven...

dmc

I thought it was only 18 miles...

Good place to go...as a former "local", I remember that the place was especially nice in September after the crowds left. What town do you usually stay in?

After September it become "Alkie Island".... the lights blink yellow... and the locals settle in for a long winter of drinking...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I voted "Other". My wife owns (bought it before we met) the timeshare at Sheratan Vistana, right near Disney. She likes the "resort" feel to the place. Bars, pools, mini-golf, dancing and sometimes live music. It's a nice place, but I think she's more into vacationing in FL because that's what she's used to.

I'd rather head into the mountains, preferably near a lake or pond.

4aprice

I basically spent a good deal of my summers growing up on Winnipesaukee as my grandparents owned a house right on the lake in Wolfeboro. That's a body of water that I really enjoy. Me and my 13' boston whaler with the 25hp mercury hanging off the back on Winnipesaukee is/are the source of countless great memories of my youth! :)

The picture you paint sounds almost like the kids on Flipper I so idolized as a kid. A BW with a 25 Merc and Winni sounds like a blast for an kid/young teen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ