• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is Alpinezone?

LVNLARG

Could the mods explain Alpinezone too us newbies ? Who writes the stories? Is it the mods ??? Who started it ? How old is it? Thanks! :beer:

BeanoNYC

I believe Alpinezone is Greg. He's the owner of this site. Any official story is posted by Greg (Alpinezone) The stories are press releases from various mountains and organizations.

LVNLARG

BeanoNYC said:
I believe Alpinezone is Greg. He's the owner of this site. Any official story is posted by Greg (Alpinezone) The stories are press releases from various mountains and organizations.

I realized he was the forum founder...was wondering if he did the news too....or if that pre-existed the forum. Also wondering if the resorts all send him releases or if he has to hunt them down. :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
AlpineZone is owned by Greg. Us moderators assist him in running the place to various degrees. Many of the articles are press releases. I have written some things and I moderated and organized this year's AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge.

bvibert

Staff member
LVNLARG said:
thetrailboss said:
I organized this year's AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge.
<<< What is/was that? "I want to insert a brainy with glasses learning emoticon here but there isn't one" :(

This year's Ski Area Challenge and last year's. Basically Greg and TB get ski areas to answer 10 questions from forums members during the off-season. Its worked really well the last two years.

LVNLARG

bvibert said:
LVNLARG said:
thetrailboss said:
I organized this year's AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge.
<<< What is/was that? "I want to insert a brainy with glasses learning emoticon here but there isn't one" :(

This year's Ski Area Challenge and last year's. Basically Greg and TB get ski areas to answer 10 questions from forums members during the off-season. Its worked really well the last two years.

Super cool. Just checked them out. :D

Greg

Staff member
The others summed things up pretty well. I started AlpineZone.com in December of 1998. In the early days, it was little more than a few of my own personal hiking trip reports and pictures on my SNET personal Web page. My brother-in-law was playing around with starting a few web sites and I thought it was pretty cool so I searched for a domain name that covered two of my passions - hiking/backpacking and alpine skiing. "AlpineZone.com" was available and I thought - hey, that's a pretty cool domain name...

During the 98-99 season, I began building a directory of New England ski areas. The early message board was a threaded style BBS and I soon added the first version of a skiing forum. For the 2000-01 season I went high-tech ( ;) ) and set up a linear-based message board using everyone.net. Also in 2001, I first offered Web-based Email via everyone.net under the domain name, AlpineMail.com. That concept was kind of a flop...

On July 1, 2001, I launched the first phpBB version of these forums. The early threads are still accessible via the search function today. During the 2001-02 ski season, it seemed like the only other person besides riverc0il that I chatted with on the skiing forum was myself... ;) It was somewhere around this time that I upgrade to phpBB 2.0.x. I think it was around 2002 that I included New York in the resort profile coverage.

This skiing board really began to take off during the 2003-04 ski season. It was around this time the site underwent a major visual overhaul thanks to former forum member, jlangdale. Stephen was also instrumental in helping with the ski area profiles script that season. I also expanded to include the rest of the Northeast (PA, NJ) as well as the mid-Atlantic (MD, VA, WV).

2004-05 saw the start of the ski area challenge as mentioned above, as well as the news section, which is again for the most part press releases submitted to me directly by the ski areas as well as a few custom articles. The forum remained active this summer and the site should continue to grow this season with several thousand visitors stopping by each day.

Hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane... ;) :beer:

LVNLARG

Greg said:
Hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane... ;) :beer:

Very much so. That was an excellent synopsis (with maybe a tad too much techie jargon). :lol: I personally hope you can reap some financial rewards thru banner adds and the like for all your years of persistance and hard work. :beer: I used to be on the ASC boards (mostly the SR one chatting with Skip King and Oz Skier) back in the early 90's. It was sad to see them go. Glad I stumbled on this one (Found you thru Skiing News Only FYI. :beer:

kickstand

LVNLARG said:
I used to be on the ASC boards (mostly the SR one chatting with Skip King and Oz Skier) back in the early 90's. It was sad to see them go. Glad I stumbled on this one (Found you thru Skiing News Only FYI. :beer:

Skip hasn't been with ASC in a few years, but still pops his into the Sunday River char from time to time. Once OZ sees this thread, I'm sure he'll chime in, but he's all growed up now and very much involved with Sunday River, their chat room and several other independent web design projects.

and just me being nit-picky - the Cyberlodge was late-90's. I first logged on in late 97, maybe early 98 and I was definitely one of the earlier members.

backintoit

Really cool. Thanks Greg for your persistance. The site is very informative.

I see the new XML RSS feed. I shutter to think what I would do if a feed told me every time someone posted. :blink:

I look forward to meeting you guys at some point.

Vortex

Hey Dave I see you did post. Sorry I missed the earlier posts.
Backintoit post elsewhere and has made events and gatherings. He has quite a gang.
Back to work. lol

LVNLARG

kickstand said:
LVNLARG said:
I used to be on the ASC boards (mostly the SR one chatting with Skip King and Oz Skier) back in the early 90's. It was sad to see them go. Glad I stumbled on this one (Found you thru Skiing News Only FYI. :beer:

Skip hasn't been with ASC in a few years, but still pops his into the Sunday River char from time to time. Once OZ sees this thread, I'm sure he'll chime in, but he's all growed up now and very much involved with Sunday River, their chat room and several other independent web design projects.

and just me being nit-picky - the Cyberlodge was late-90's. I first logged on in late 97, maybe early 98 and I was definitely one of the earlier members.

You know...I remember you too....you had the same name. Now if only I could remember mine ??? lol Yup... I recall OZ as a young anti-Zand-like ass kisser who I guess eventually ass kissed his way into a job. :lol:

LVNLARG

Charlie Schuessler said:
LVNLARG said:
Who started it ? How old is it?

...some troubled youths from a galaxy far away (CT) that had nothing but time on their hands... :wink:

CT is indeed a galaxy far, far away from what I know of it. My only extended experience would be Mc D's just outside NYC on 95. Everyone working there is Chinese :blink: :eek: , they ask you if you would like fried rice with your Big Mac :blink: :eek: and then the total for your combo comes to $13.00 :blink: :eek: . I sure felt like I was on another planet :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Where I live in Litchfield County is a lot different than 95 in lower Fairfield County...

Greg

Staff member
backintoit said:
Really cool. Thanks Greg for your persistance. The site is very informative.

I see the new XML RSS feed. I shutter to think what I would do if a feed told me every time someone posted. :blink:

I look forward to meeting you guys at some point.
Thanks for the kind words. Just an FYI - the RSS feed only indicates when a new thread is started, not when each reply is posted.