• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Golf: Course Yardage Accuracy (or Lack Thereof)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Who's worked up? Just trying to make conversation.... seems like the original post got people talking. That is what we come to an internet forum to do, right?

you really should've incorporated Killington into this thread to maximize it's conversation potential. :lol:

maybe Killington will close the golf course early this fall. See if people go crazy. I for one, hope they do! :lol:

Hawkshot99

You get worked up by the lamest things... :)
funny...

I thought I was the only one. I dont look at the yardage #'s. I have no idea on the yardage I can hit each club, but I do know what it looks like. I just grab the club that looks good, and let her rip. (usually works out good too)

midd

I've never heard someone comment that the tee markers don't mesh perfectly with the card. I suppose its one of those things that you take for granted after years and years of playing.

campgottagopee

I've got a whole slew of those yardage books that I keep as souvenirs of some of my golfing conquests (or total and utter failures :rolleyes: ) of the past! :lol:

Proper yardage is a great thing for many players, although there are a good deal of folks out there for whom it really does nothing but slow down their pace of play as their attempting to figure out if they're 156 or 158 yards away and then procede to hit it only 135! :rolleyes:

Hey!!! You been spying on me?:razz:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I GPS'd my local par 3 to some interesting results. I measured to the approximate center of the green. Many holes were within 5 yards accuracy which is sound as I may not have measured the "exact" center of the green or the tee box markers may have been moved slightly. However, many holes had distance errors of 10, 15, 20, and even one that was 25 yards off! The hole that was 25 yards off had the mens tee where the ladies was supposed to be and a second tee box area behind the first tee that was unused. This hole is interesting because this supposed 165 yard hole had been a perfect 6I for me when I first start playing so I had thought 160 off the tee = 6I. I have since gained 10 yards and I am now using a 7I for this course. But my yardage estimate for this given club based on this hole was WAY off!

Accounting for center of green issues, that means I now hit my 6I 160 off the tee but when I first started playing, it was likely 145 only. Also, I have occasionally pulled out my 5H on this hole after I broke my 6I earlier this season and WAY over flew the green. I thought I had gained 20 yards on my 5H this season! Turns out, things were just measured wrong.

This also was an issue on another hole that was +10 off. I had always wondered why I flew the green with my 8I. Figured I just had good luck getting a perfectly swung shot on that hole more often than not. Turned out I was using too much club. On a par three where hitting the green from the tee is the only way to 2 putt, that is important.

These were all flat holes too. There are three hills on the course. One checked out accurately but the other two were so big that I trusted the marked distance better than the GPS because I don't think the GPS had factored in the uphill in its distance readings. Pretty interesting stuff and says a lot about getting to know the course.

drjeff

Hey!!! You been spying on me?:razz:

I had the reverse happen to me + my brother last saturday. Playing at Mount Washington, 1st loop around the course for both of us. Using my new range finder to get my brother yardage (from the next fairway over :rolleyes:) I tell him 155 (seemed a bit long to my eyes at the time, but hey we've never played the course before and it's my new laser range finder so it must be right! ) My brother hits his usual club from 155 and hits it solid. Airmails the green and lands pretty darned close to the sign for the next tee which happened to be almost directly behind the flagstick from the line that I used with the range finder. The flagsticks at Mount Washington DON'T have the little reflectors on them that many courses do now and a thin white flag stick/flag didn't register as well as the larger lightly stanined wood tee box sign!

"Toys" are great, but often good old fashioned instinct can be better/quicker!

drjeff

I GPS'd my local par 3 to some interesting results. I measured to the approximate center of the green. Many holes were within 5 yards accuracy which is sound as I may not have measured the "exact" center of the green or the tee box markers may have been moved slightly. However, many holes had distance errors of 10, 15, 20, and even one that was 25 yards off! The hole that was 25 yards off had the mens tee where the ladies was supposed to be and a second tee box area behind the first tee that was unused. This hole is interesting because this supposed 165 yard hole had been a perfect 6I for me when I first start playing so I had thought 160 off the tee = 6I. I have since gained 10 yards and I am now using a 7I for this course. But my yardage estimate for this given club based on this hole was WAY off!

Accounting for center of green issues, that means I now hit my 6I 160 off the tee but when I first started playing, it was likely 145 only. Also, I have occasionally pulled out my 5H on this hole after I broke my 6I earlier this season and WAY over flew the green. I thought I had gained 20 yards on my 5H this season! Turns out, things were just measured wrong.

This also was an issue on another hole that was +10 off. I had always wondered why I flew the green with my 8I. Figured I just had good luck getting a perfectly swung shot on that hole more often than not. Turned out I was using too much club. On a par three where hitting the green from the tee is the only way to 2 putt, that is important.

These were all flat holes too. There are three hills on the course. One checked out accurately but the other two were so big that I trusted the marked distance better than the GPS because I don't think the GPS had factored in the uphill in its distance readings. Pretty interesting stuff and says a lot about getting to know the course.

VERY TRUE!! On my home course, some of the old-timers who play 7 days a week from course opening in April to course closing in November can practically recite the yardages off each sprinkler head at my course (and my course has 3 disatnces on each sprinkler head for front/middle/and back pins).

Me, I need to rely so much on those yardages when I bring folks there for the 1st time since I'm much more of a "feel"/"instinct" player when it comes to yardage and club selection, since given identical wind conditions/elevation changes may very well use 3 or 4 different clubs for the same length shot just based on what "looks right" to my brain as I'm assessing what's infront of me. Drives my business partner, who I play alot of golf with, crazy as he's a "certain yardage = certain club" then maybe account for some wind type player. So if I tell him he's got 135 to the flag, he's 100% thinking 9 iron for him, whereas myself, who hits the ball almost identical distances to him with my irons, might pull a 6 iron and try and hit a low running shot because that's what looks like it will work best to my eyes/brain. Used to really drive him crazy when he'd ask me "what are you hitting??" and then he'd pull the same club and be way off, no he just asks me "what's the yardage??" :blink:

The other factor is the actual design/layout of the course, especialy tee boxes. Nowadays for most courses, even older, less well maintained courses, is atleast 3 medium/large sized tee boxes per hole, and by medium/larger I mean atleast 15 yards from front edge to back edge and the folks setting the tee markers tend to use most of that realestate when placing the markers. Whereas tee boxes of 15+ years ago were generally much shorter from front to back (maybe 10 yards atmost) and usually from wear patterns you could see that the tee markers were normally within 2 yards either side of the middle of the tee box. So based on modern trends you have the potential nowadays for alot more variability in the yardage a hole plays, and thats BEFORE you encounter a very modern course that will often have more tee boxes than sets of tee markers per hole which really brings into question if your playing from the tee box that the card yardage was measured too! :eek: