• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

cash for clunkers

drjeff

wow... Vague statements can still mean the same thing... You know what you meant.. And you knew where it was directed..

C'mon no offense DrJeff, but it was pretty obvious where this was directed.

At least he didn't basically quote the party line.

Think what you want, but I'll pretty much guarentee that what I was thinking and what you all think I was thinking are very different things

deadheadskier

Staff member
Must be an 80s/90s thing. He's decent, but genius is a bit of a stretch.

Hijack #2! Hooray!

I think the song is funny as hell for how cheesy it is. Probably one of Eddie's least genius moments.

As far as his standard comedy, for about 10-15 years Eddie was King. He's been hit or miss for the past decade or so.

drjeff

I think the song is funny as hell for how cheesy it is. Probably one of Eddie's least genius moments.

As far as his standard comedy, for about 10-15 years Eddie was King. He's been hit or miss for the past decade or so.

I'd say that for last 5 years or so, he's batting about .125 :eek:

Delirous + party all the time + SNL, probably Eddie's tri-fecta there ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
48 hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop #1, Coming to America

lots of funny movies in the 80s.

Now? He's pretty good at donkey voice overs, but that's about it. :lol:

Glenn

I have nothing more to add....so here's the best dmc picture evAAAAAAAr!

Big smile FTW:

DMCSKI80s.jpg

dmc

I used to be a mogul god... i need to get the that joint in CT you guys talk about and show y'all some old school moves...

mondeo

campgottagopee

Wow, interesting read------I will tell you this, and that is "Clunkers" is working. Without it I'm not sure where/how last month would've ended up or how this month would've started. I'll share this with you to give you some idea----in the last 10 days of July we did 57% of our monthly total number, 90% of them were "clinker" deals. This bill is generating tons (no pun :smile:) biz and the trickle down is being seen/felt with overtime being paid to office staff, techs and even hiring a body in the service dept.

You should see some of the crap people are trading in :puke:

1 takes the cake tho----1985 Pontiac Parisian wagon w/ 269,0000 miles.

wa-loaf

Wow, interesting read------I will tell you this, and that is "Clunkers" is working. Without it I'm not sure where/how last month would've ended up or how this month would've started. I'll share this with you to give you some idea----in the last 10 days of July we did 57% of our monthly total number, 90% of them were "clinker" deals. This bill is generating tons (no pun :smile:) biz and the trickle down is being seen/felt with overtime being paid to office staff, techs and even hiring a body in the service dept.

You should see some of the crap people are trading in :puke:

1 takes the cake tho----1985 Pontiac Parisian wagon w/ 269,0000 miles.

Funny how people call it a failure because it's too successful.

Vortex

If you see or feel the benefits its a good idea to many , if not many see it as a bad idea.

We should all look it it from the other perspective. If I was going to lose my job without this,,, how would I feel?. I am quite conservative with money,, I have supported this program with my money and thoughts. No sure I am in favor of just payouts and loans.

At least this plan helps consumers and employees in many sectors. Closes the circle a bit. Also does go along with the green theme. Many of the stimulas dollars are going to construction of more effiecient energy buildings. Cars are now falling into that realm. I am much happier to to see a program like this than just tax dolalrs given to car companies.

wa-loaf

Funny how people call it a success because it's too, uh, failureful.

:p

Regardless of how you feel about the need for the program itself, the fact is that more people than anticipated are using it. That they need to add more cash for it and the dealers, car companies, and buyers seem to be happy with it sounds like a success to me. You can argue about the politics of it and whether we should be propping up the car companies. But it is doing what was intended.

mondeo

Here's a question: what's going to happen to the auto industry over the next 5 years when everybody has new cars? What about the loss of spare parts sales to keep all the clunkers running? Service fees? Increase in warranty payouts? Even within the auto industry, it's a short term play.

campgottagopee

Regardless of how you feel about the need for the program itself, the fact is that more people than anticipated are using it. That they need to add more cash for it and the dealers, car companies, and buyers seem to be happy with it sounds like a success to me. You can argue about the politics of it and whether we should be propping up the car companies. But it is doing what was intended.

I'm waiting until we get paid, then I'll be happy. Right now, nervous---can you say "float"---geeee-zus are they making us jump thru hoops to get the consumers $$$$. Doesn't take long to have hundreds of thousands of dollars flapping around in the breeze.

campgottagopee

Here's a question: what's going to happen to the auto industry over the next 5 years when everybody has new cars? What about the loss of spare parts sales to keep all the clunkers running? Service fees? Increase in warranty payouts? Even within the auto industry, it's a short term play.

The industry has been down for so many years now I don't even think this short "burst" will bring it up to par.

wa-loaf

5 years? There's going to big drop-off as soon as the incentives are over in 2-3 months. I think there are plenty of us who have cars right now that don't qualify who are still going to need new ones in 2-3 years. I'm talking about success in the small scope of the program itself. Everything we do (or not do) always has some long term consequences we may not be able to predict. Hope the dealers are smart enough with their money to be able to weather the dry spell that will come after this.