• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost ski areas website

ChileMass

There are some great old stories on that website. A real history of the origins of skiing in the northeast. I'm hoping NELSAP will get around to a description of Alpine Meadows in South Corinth, NY (also known as Adirondack Ski) which is where I worked and skied when I was in high school from 1974-1977. It was a great little hill with 1000' of vertical and very few people knew about it. It only had 3 T-bars and no snowmaking, so not a surprise that it's no longer around.

Joshua B

NELSAP is the best! On the subject of lost ski areas, I have a little site with pictures of some of my lost ski areas visits to Watatic, Whaleback, Crotched, King Ridge, Whittier, Mohawk, and Chickley Alp.

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:
NELSAP is the best! On the subject of lost ski areas, I have a little site with pictures of some of my lost ski areas visits to Watatic, Whaleback, Crotched, King Ridge, Whittier, Mohawk, and Chickley Alp.

Another nice site, Josh. :beer:

teachski

Website
teachski.com
While there are some lost area things on my site, I contributed most of that information I had to NELSAP.

My site does deal with old time skiing though...I have brochures and maps from many areas, mostly New England. Some date back as far as the 30's. For some areas I have trail maps from several different years. It is neat to see the changes areas have undergone over the years. My first Killington map, 1961-62 shows about 20 trails and mostly surface lifts and a couple double chairs. Contrast this to the current map, wow, what a difference. I also have different years of several other area.

In addition, I have postcards and other memorabilia that can help trace the advances in skiing through the years. I have more to put on still too, and I am currently reorganizing some things. I recently changed server, so if you find anything that does not work let me know please...it is a large site and I haven't checked everything yet. I will also be upgrading some of th pages, now that I have a new, better quality scanner.

My site ishttp://teachski.com

curlyfuzzie

Between the Catskill and Adirondack Parks
ChileMass -

I just came across NELSAP myself and am fascinated by it - They concentrate mostly on New England, but have begun to branch out into NY and other states... why don't you contribute info on Alpine Meadows? That's how they get their info - from former patrons/participants/owners. I remember Alpine Meadows, though I never skied there, I was always going to "some day"... :-? . I have friends from Saratoga Springs who used to ski there. Never got around to going myself, tho (usually went to Brodie - which is effectively "dead" now too... unless you snow-tube :(