• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

smoltz

2knees

it's time to hang it up johnny. how can they keep running him out there. disaster after disaster.

Paul

D-U-N... done!

And the new guy is no Masterson. He sucks. Should've taken Cleveland's first offer of Bungholez for Martinez straight-up.

Grassi21

I turned the game on in the 4th I think. When Melky popped his 3 run homer and the Yanks took the lead. Great stuff. First game I have watched all season. :)

2knees

Beckett, Lester and three days of rain---

how true. what happened to all the talk about Boston having too much pitching. How they were gonna have to trade somebody or move someone to the pen.

Bucholz, Penny, Smoltz have all been varying degrees of awful. Dice-K is a disaster. Wakefield, even healthy, is kind of a dicey proposition.

and not to armchair quaterback too much, but they traded their best option for another starter in masterson.

bigbog

In agreement...maybe 2 innings, 3 at the most...if pitch-ct is low. When I heard/watched interview of the traded Masterson(a middle-reliever)...knew a pro-Yankee Manchurian-Candidate person must exist in mgmnt!
Madroch!.....(kinda brings back painful memories of decades past eh'?)... That's what happens when mgmnt is made up of real-estate brokers.

$.01
STeveD

Last edited:

2knees

He needs to reach out to Moose and ask him what he did.

I have no idea how moose won 20 games last year. but he lived for probably 4 or 5 years with a severely diminished fastball whereas smoltz is just learning about life in the sub 95 range. and his breaking stuff is just rolling up there. no bite at all.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I was at the game last night. Not good times for a Boston fan.

I'm thinking they should move Smoltz to the bullpen. He seems get through the lineup once without any troubles, then falls apart the 2nd and 3rd time through. The problem is I don't know who to replace him in the rotation.

tjf67

PEDs? Ortiz can give him some pointers...

I never thought of that. Say it aint so. Moose was the man last year and went out the way he should have. there were a couple of years I would get sick when I knew he was in the line up.

tjf67

At the end of the day you are 8-1 against us so no worries sox fans.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The biggest thing about Smoltz is I hate seeing a Hall of Famer go down in flames by trying to hang on to the glory longer than it's still there.

Paul

The biggest thing about Smoltz is I hate seeing a Hall of Famer go down in flames by trying to hang on to the glory longer than it's still there.

montana_chiefs1218662673.jpg

emmitt_smith_cardinals.jpg

brett-favre-jets.jpg

p1_rice_all.jpg

powbmps

"The Smoltz Experiment" isn't going so well. Probably not one of Theo's better ideas.

Did you hear that the Sox were going after Felix Hernandez?

"The Red Sox apparently approached the Mariners and first tried to do a Hernandez trade with Seattle exclusively. Boston wanted Hernandez and gave the Mariners a list of eight prospects, from which Seattle would be allowed to pick any five.

They included:

RHP Clay Buchholz
RHP Daniel Bard
RHP Justin Masterson
LHP Nick Hagadone
RHP Michael Bowden
LHP Felix Doubront
OF Josh Reddick
SS Yamaico Navarro

Seattle turned that down. But that was just the warm-up act to the blockbuster proposal that followed."

2knees

From what i've read, Willie Mays may be the poster boy for hanging on too long.

2knees

"The Smoltz Experiment" isn't going so well. Probably not one of Theo's better ideas.

Did you hear that the Sox were going after Felix Hernandez?

"The Red Sox apparently approached the Mariners and first tried to do a Hernandez trade with Seattle exclusively. Boston wanted Hernandez and gave the Mariners a list of eight prospects, from which Seattle would be allowed to pick any five.

They included:

RHP Clay Buchholz
RHP Daniel Bard
RHP Justin Masterson
LHP Nick Hagadone
RHP Michael Bowden
LHP Felix Doubront
OF Josh Reddick
SS Yamaico Navarro

Seattle turned that down. But that was just the warm-up act to the blockbuster proposal that followed."

Yeah, I read that in the globe a few days ago. Apparently Theo has been lusting after Felix for a couple of years. Would've been really good as he's still very young and having a monster season this year.