• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

smoltz

Warp Daddy

Altho a yanks fan i totally agree DHS . Its always sad to see a once great player just hang on too long . Altho you can't blame Smol.tz for taking the deal it was strictly a management faux pas. Sox are coming with major heater tonite should be interesting . Like Yogi always says tho it ain't over till its over

Paul

From what i've read, Willie Mays may be the poster boy for hanging on too long.

Good call... It's easy to come-up with NFL players (see above) a bit tougher with MLB due to having a minor league and the DL vs. IR.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know who I bet would still play if asked and definitely still thinks he can?

Rickey Henderson

legalskier

The biggest thing about Smoltz is I hate seeing a Hall of Famer go down in flames by trying to hang on to the glory longer than it's still there.

Steve Carlton at the end was sad to watch. However, baseball is a fickle mistress so I wouldn't count Smoltzy out just yet, not with his history and smarts. I also was astonished when the Sox traded away a young quality arm like Masterson.

mondeo

You know who I bet would still play if asked and definitely still thinks he can?

Rickey Henderson
Mondeo thinks Ricky Henderson probably wishes Ricky Henderson could still play and would if asked, but deep down realizes Ricky Henderson can't cut it in the majors anymore.

Really just going after the third person joke, not really voicing Mondeo's opinion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The legend of Rickey Henderson

to himself after a strikeout, "Don't worry Rickey, you're still the greatest ever" :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know, I feel bad for Smoltz, but I think the Sox made the right statement to the fans today cutting him. Epstein and Francona risked injury running that guy out to the mound one more time after how badly he's performed, especially last night. I know I had seen enough.