• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: The Big Orion Cookout - 8/8/2009

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ok folks, here's what you've been waiting for. I had a great time. With out a doubt, some of the best BBQ I've had. I was on my A game. My best ribs to date. Corned beef was off the charts as well.

I'll break down the TR down into two sections. First up: Pics and photo stories, followed by Learning and Tips. Text that actually discusses preparation methods will be in bold.

Car loaded up
IMG_0223.jpg

The goods
IMG_0224.jpg

Clear day on the GWB
IMG_0230.jpg

Arrival
IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Nice place...there's more scenery shots later

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I think I'm in the right place
IMG_0243.jpg

Orion schwag
IMG_0246.jpg

Hmmmm
IMG_0249.jpg

Getting my prep area ready
IMG_0250.jpg

Keithray and Cincinnati Jack checking temperature on 2 pork shoulders
IMG_0251.jpg

That's my Orion on the left
IMG_0252.jpg

My plan was to get the 4 pound Corned Beef in 1st, then get my ribs ready. I timed it pretty well (for once).
IMG_0253.jpg

Here's the corned beef seasoned up. Last summer I bought some Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning. I didn't like it on chicken at all, but did like it on hamburger and I used it twice on corned beef in the Orion with great results. About 1/2 a Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat went into the drip pan.
IMG_0254.jpg

They do look nice when they are all shiny and new...
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
My corned beef is in. I used 50% Hickory and 50% Cherry. I knew I wanted Hickory smoke flavor in my ribs, but I wasn't sure how it would be with the Corned Beef (previous Corned Beef cooks were done with only Mesquite or Cherry). I knew Cherry goes well with ribs also, so I took a gamble.

On an interesting note, think I was the only one using a wood chip blend. I over heard Christian (the owner of Orion Outdoors) mentioning to someone else that he wasn't big into blends, but I have a feeling he might give that a try in the near future
;)

Well seasoned
IMG_0264.jpg

Buffalo Man's ribs going in.
IMG_0259.jpg

A macro shot of Buffalo Man's ribs
IMG_0260.jpg

He gave his ribs a yellow mustard rub, then applied his own spice rub.
IMG_0268.jpg

"Cajun Ken" getting his brisket ready
IMG_0269.jpg

He cut cross-hatches into his Brisket to get more moisture up in there. Great idea Ken!
IMG_0270.jpg

Here's my ribs, with the membrane removed off the back.
IMG_0271.jpg

Here's me pouring on my rub. A quick side note here. Everything I used was off-the-shelf products I got at the supermarket or BJ's. The rub I'm using is Jakes Grillin Pork Rib
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Close up of my ribs
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Flames
IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

This Orion is going to get some salmon soon. To get more smoke flavor into it, Christian recommended lighting it up and waiting until the wood chips start to smoke up real good before putting the salmon in and the lid on.
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Salmon going in...
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ok, back to my ribs. Here's some pics of them going in, and you can see the corned beef in the bottom. I let the rub sit on for about 20 minutes, and the ribs went in 40 minutes after the corned beef.
IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Keithray had suggested that at some point to take a walk around the park and enjoy the tranquility. I ran some stuff I wouldn't need out to the car, took a quick safety break and went for a walk. I'll admit, this place is a nice little slice of paradise, except for the way over friendly guy who felt it necessary to tell me his life story and then gives me his bussiness car and tells me to email him next time I come to the park. His card fell into some burning charcoal. :puke:

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ok, back at the cookout.
IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Very well seasoned (Keithray)
IMG_0344.jpg

Buffalo Man's ribs coming out
IMG_0346.jpg

My ribs coming out. I had two and a half racks fall down! :-o Talk about falling off the bone!
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Inside mine
IMG_0354.jpg

Ribs getting sauced up on the grill. Used Sweet Baby Ray's

IMG_0355.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Money shots of my ribs. Go get a napkin to wipe up!
These came out so well. Not to sound egotistical, but these were my best ribs to date. So amazing.
IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Corned beef - This too came out so much better than I expected.
IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Me and Christian
IMG_0377.jpg

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So, what did I learn (or things to try in the future)...

• Mustard rub on ribs (I've done this on brisket though)
  • Slice cross hatches into brisket
  • Fire up the Orion before putting the meat in for a smokier flavor
    • I think that putting in my ribs, 40 minutes after the corned beef helped make them more tender (along with the beer).
  • Let the rub for a bit before putting the ribs in
  • Walmart lump charcoal burns better than Kingsford
  • I'm sure there's more...

Christain is one cool dude who really enjoy's his BBQ. I hope to smoke up ribs with him again one day.:beer:
Oh yeah...everyone had amazing BBQ. For a region of the country not really known for good BBQ, the Northeast can kill it!

Beetlenut

Oh man,... I should NOT have read this TR at 11:30 at night! Now I'm hungry and have a wicked hankerin for BBQ! Dam you Root! Man that looked good! I may just have to invest in an Orion!

Glenn

Wow! Very impressive Root! This TR delivered! Now I'm hungry for ribs...and it's just after 8AM!

o3jeff

Looks like some good bbq'ing there.

I ended up firing mine up last night since Stop and Shop had ribs for $1.50lbs. I meant to take pictures but my company started to dig into them before I could grab the camera.

Grassi21

great tr. the wife and i lived in an apt. 1 mile away from the cove for 3 years. great little park. lots of dog walking for us over there.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
great tr. the wife and i lived in an apt. 1 mile away from the cove for 3 years. great little park. lots of dog walking for us over there.
I was surprised on how nice it was. If we were to plan a day at the beach, I'd seriously consider taking the 1hr 20mins drive North to Cove Island, opposed to driving almost 2 hours to get down to the Jersey shore.

Warp Daddy

Rooter --------------------YOU are the Doctor of Ribology ------------awesome report , drooling ==BTW luved the sihirt -- got one myself but the dude is tossing his golf clubs in a pond ---LMAO

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Rooter --------------------YOU are the Doctor of Ribology ------------awesome report , drooling ==BTW luved the sihirt -- got one myself but the dude is tossing his golf clubs in a pond ---LMAO
Would that be an R.D or Ph.R? I need to get this right for my business cards :p

Grassi21

I was surprised on how nice it was. If we were to plan a day at the beach, I'd seriously consider taking the 1hr 20mins drive North to Cove Island, opposed to driving almost 2 hours to get down to the Jersey shore.

We never did the beach thing there. But our older dog Crosby has swam there a number of times. :) We miss that place...