• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Unread message notification

kcyanks1

The new SB/MRV site has a cool feature so that it not only shows you which threads have unread messages, but once you go into the thread, highlights the unread messages within the thread with an orange bar on the right side of the top of the message. Any chance on having a similar feature in AlpineZone?

Also, a similar suggestion that is not on AZ or the skimrv site - Is it possible from the main thread list within a forum to show which page of a thread has the first unread messages? For multiple-page threads it's sometimes hard to remember what page to start on.

Thanks, and both of your sites are great!

Greg

Staff member
kcyanks1 said:
The new SB/MRV site has a cool feature so that it not only shows you which threads have unread messages, but once you go into the thread, highlights the unread messages within the thread with an orange bar on the right side of the top of the message. Any chance on having a similar feature in AlpineZone?
It's not as obvious, but within the threads, unread posts are highlighted with this icon -
icon_minipost_new.gif

kcyanks1 said:
Also, a similar suggestion that is not on AZ or the skimrv site - Is it possible from the main thread list within a forum to show which page of a thread has the first unread messages? For multiple-page threads it's sometimes hard to remember what page to start on.
When viewing the thread list, clicking this icon -
icon_latest_reply.gif
- in the "Last Post" column will take you to the first unread post.

kcyanks1 said:
Thanks, and both of your sites are great!
Thanks for the kind words.

kcyanks1

Sorry for the stupid follow-ups ...

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
It's not as obvious, but within the threads, unread posts are highlighted with this icon -
icon_minipost_new.gif

Thanks. I see that icon on the thread list but I never noticed it within threads. Maybe I'm completely oblivious, but I went to a partially undread thread and didn't see it. Is it on the top/bottom/left/right of the posts?

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_latest_reply.gif
[/quote]

That seems to take me to the last post not the first unread post, but I'll have to test it again once a a thread I've already started has a bunch of unread posts. I tried it on completely new/unread threads and it took me to the last post.

Greg

Staff member
kcyanks1 said:

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_minipost_new.gif

Thanks. I see that icon on the thread list but I never noticed it within threads. Maybe I'm completely oblivious, but I went to a partially undread thread and didn't see it. Is it on the top/bottom/left/right of the posts?
Top left of the message body to the left of the post date/time/subject.

kcyanks1 said:
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_latest_reply.gif

That seems to take me to the last post not the first unread post, but I'll have to test it again once a a thread I've already started has a bunch of unread posts. I tried it on completely new/unread threads and it took me to the last post.
You are correct. It brings you to the last post, not the first unread post. An alternative way of checking the boards to see unread messages is to use the View posts since last visit link. That still doesn't address the span page problem though. Sorry. Don't know of a way to easily do it, but once you find the new post icon, it's not too hard to back up a page or two if needed.

kcyanks1

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_minipost_new.gif

Top left of the message body to the left of the post date/time/subject.

Thanks! Found it, I was just being oblivious before :)

Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_latest_reply.gif

You are correct. It brings you to the last post, not the first unread post. An alternative way of checking the boards to see unread messages is to use the View posts since last visit link. That still doesn't address the span page problem though. Sorry. Don't know of a way to easily do it, but once you find the new post icon, it's not too hard to back up a page or two if needed.

Thanks for the info, no need to be sorry.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_latest_reply.gif

You need to click on the
icon_newest_reply.gif
icon just to the left of a thread with new posts in it to be taken to the newest thread. Its kinda small and I bet most people just think its part of the link that just brings you into the thread, but it adds "&view=newest" to the link which takes you to the first unread post since your last session. Does that help??

backintoit

bvibert said:
You need to click on the
icon_newest_reply.gif
icon just to the left of a thread with new posts in it to be taken to the newest thread. Its kinda small and I bet most people just think its part of the link that just brings you into the thread, but it adds "&view=newest" to the link which takes you to the first unread post since your last session. Does that help??

Awesome! Thank you!

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
Greg said:
kcyanks1 said:
icon_latest_reply.gif

You need to click on the
icon_newest_reply.gif
Nice! Thanks B. I knew there was a way to do it. I know I made you a mod in this Help forum for a reason... :beer: