• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boots for flat feet

Chris_skis

A few years ago, I purchased on sale a pair of Salomon XWave 8.0.

Now they are so big and ill fitting that I do not want to spend any more money on them, and rather buy a new pair of boots and getting it right this time.

I know that each vendors makes boots to fit different people's feet. I have flat feet and use Sperfeet in my boots. I also have proheminent ankle bone which requires having the side of the boots "punched out" quite a bit. I am 6'0" and 160lbs, and an advance skier. I ski in Ontario and Quebec, so I ski ice.

What are your opinion on the best make for this. I was suggested Atomics M:9 or B:9.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
regardless of ski, i think you'll need a custom footbed. that should make all the difference. talk to a reputable boot fitter about your needs. they should be able to take a quick look at your foot and bring out a few pairs that would best meet your needs. go with the one that fits the best, then get a custom to take care of the flat foot. i have a pair of xwave 10s and flat feet and the custom helped.

Charlie Schuessler

riverc0il said:
...i think you'll need a custom footbed. that should make all the difference. talk to a reputable boot fitter about your needs. they should be able to take a quick look at your foot and bring out a few pairs that would best meet your needs. go with the one that fits the best, then get a custom to take care of the flat foot...
What is described above is the correct way to purchase ski boots...great advice!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I read your post and was totally going to tell you, just as RC did..that you sound like you could really benefit from a custom footbed. Also, it sounds like your last pair were not the correct size for you. While there will always be some pack-out in your liners, they should still be snug enough to fit after a few years. Definitely research and find a good reputable bootfitter. You might pay some more..but you'll be very happy later on.

bigbog

Chris, rivercOil has a number of good threads in here!
You want to end up in a relaxed, balanced stance in your boots. You just can't ski very well in boots that you're swimmin' in.

Chris_skis

I am wearing my old boots right now just to find out how they feel.

I am a runner and I do 50-60 miles a week during the summer and the marathon season. I amsaying this because my feet size change when you do a lot of running mileage. Some people feet may increase up to a full size.

Since my feet are a bit longer, I touch the tip of the boot. Unfortunately,I can bend my arch quite a bit but right now I have a nasty pinch on the lateral aspect on the metatarsal (mid foot) of the right foot. So the boot is a bit narrow on the midfoot for me but the volume is too large. I could almost bend my toes all the way down.

SKIQUATTRO

BOOTS

"THE" most important piece of equipment you can buy for skiing...dump the money into your boots and skimp somewhere else