• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One-day trails in Northeast

bigbog

2 days of Baxter (to/from)= easier on the brain...

Hi Igorocks,
Anytime is a great time to visit northern New England. Be warned that the weather up here in Maine, notably up in the park(BSP) and along the coast(Acadia) ...(*Really anywhere in northern NewEngland) can turn to the cool and raw pretty quickly..but with proper clothing is not a problem....and can return back to warm and sunny...just as quickly...but on the average is great.
From Millinocket to BSP is all paved...and in fact that's your paved avenue to/from the Baxter area!(fwiw)..roads outside the park are dirt woodland roads with limited maintenance. The roads inside the park, if I correctly remember...are pretty smooth dirt woods roads without any problems for any rental auto...of normal highway clearance...but my $.01, as TB mentioned, I think, is that you should give any drive up to Baxter..plus hike or two, a couple days at the minimum...to simply keep one's mind from remembering it as a 48+ hour whirlwind. The slowed pace of existence out in the non-artificially created woodlands is one of the selling points for visiting/camping in Maine, being only ~10-12 hours driving from downtown Boston.
I once took a friend who wanted to do the 24hr roundabout..swoop up to Millinocket...down over the Golden Rd westward to PittstonFarm..and then back down...and back to south-central NH. At the end I sat there wondering if he ever got to fully experience anything but woods roads and highway. Like we paralleled the Penobscot's pristine WestBranch...AT NIGHT....seeing nothing;-) Need to spend a little time...the outdoors and wildlife is around every bend..

$.01

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
And I have few questions about the Franconia Ridge Loop:
  • Is the trail marked?
  • What can be the weather/temperature on the trail in the first week of September?
  • Where can I get a map of the trail?

Thank you!
Igor.

Go to www.outdoors.org (Appalachian Mountain Club) and get either the latest White Mountain Guide or the map for the Franconia/Pemigewasset Area.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Closer to NYC

A couple of nice doable one day trips from NYC in the Catskills would be:

Overlook Mtn outside of the real Woodstock. Old hotel foundations and an old Fire Tower (open some weekends volunteers depending).

Huckleberry Point also near there. Both this and Overlook have AWESOME views of the Hudson River Valley.

Giant ledge or Slide Mountain.