• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One-day trails in Northeast

igoroks

Hi,

We are coming from Israel to a trip in New York and New England in the beginning of September this year.

As a very important part of our trip, we want to go to 3-4 loop hikes, each of them one day long. We are in quite a good shape, and we can walk about 10 miles in a day.

I've been reading about trails in Acadia NP, Baxter SP, The Adirondacks, the White Mountains, and other places. But I still can't decide, which trails we should choose. Can you suggest, what you think are the best 3 or 4 trails for us in this whole area?

We enjoy all the components of hiking: Nature, exercise, the views.

Thank you,
Igor.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hi,

We are coming from Israel to a trip in New York and New England in the beginning of September this year.

As a very important part of our trip, we want to go to 3-4 loop hikes, each of them one day long. We are in quite a good shape, and we can walk about 10 miles in a day.

I've been reading about trails in Acadia NP, Baxter SP, The Adirondacks, the White Mountains, and other places. But I still can't decide, which trails we should choose. Can you suggest, what you think are the best 3 or 4 trails for us in this whole area?

We enjoy all the components of hiking: Nature, exercise, the views.

Thank you,
Igor.

Welcome.
10 miles a day at Acadia is quite different from 10 miles at Baxter. Please define your "good shape." Please give an indication of what kind of single-day vertical elevations have you done before? You can hike all day at Acadia and never climb more than a few hundred vertical feet. How many hours a day to you expect to hike? Do you expect a goal such as a summit?

WJenness

Also,

Things like crowds...

Mt. Washington is a fun day hike, and not all that taxing... but if you're looking to get away from crowds, it won't be your thing...

-w

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
In mid September you can't really go wrong...what a glorious time to hike and be outside in the Northeast. Acadia National Park is a stunningly beautiful place. Being after Labor Day, I'm sure most of the crowds will be gone....on the Ocean....and there are some beautiful hikes. Although, as some have stated....not the most technical or strenous....but you can certainly get a workout.

However, coming from Israel...not sure where you'll be basing yourself out of. Acadia is quite the trip from the NYC area....not as bad if you're starting out in Boston. Lots of variables to consider....

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd check out this site for the White mountains http://hikethewhites.com//

Day hikes I'd suggest are:

Franconia Ridge Loop (9 miles)
Moosilauke Loop (7.5 miles)
Tripyramids (11 miles)

Tripyramids is a very difficult hike and one that is longer than 11 miles if you are coming from Waterville Valley.

Franconia is simply stunning and probably the most hiked loop in the Northeast. Depending on your ability, it could be moderate or difficult. The descent on the Old Bridle Path, when you are tired or when the trail is wet, can be tricky.

And I don't know which loop is recommended for Moosilauke, but if it is from Ravine Lodge, there are many good options and the trails are, by and large, not too difficult, except for the AT from Kinsmen Notch South. So that might be a good option and the views are amazing.

Other good options include Mount Abraham in VT (5 miles RT on the Long Trail, moderate hike and high start).

Do note that with Baxter it is way the hell up there...as in 2 hours NORTH of Bangor. Access may be limited and day hikes are longer because of the terrain. It is very remote. Stunning scenery, but remote. Best for an extended visit.

igoroks

Also,

Things like crowds...

Mt. Washington is a fun day hike, and not all that taxing... but if you're looking to get away from crowds, it won't be your thing...

-w

Well, I've been reading about Mt.Washington.. And somehow I got an impression that:
  • The hike is usually longer than one day
  • The weather is very unpredictable (even in the early September?!) and can be a problem.
  • It is the highest, but not the most interesting of the mountains in the area.
Is it wrong?

Thanks,
Igor.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I've been reading about Mt.Washington.. And somehow I got an impression that:
  • The weather is very unpredictable (even in the early September?!) and can be a problem.
Is it wrong?

Thanks,
Igor.

Mount Washington is NOT a hike I would recommend for those reasons and more.

And what is your hiking experience?

igoroks

Welcome.
10 miles a day at Acadia is quite different from 10 miles at Baxter. Please define your "good shape." Please give an indication of what kind of single-day vertical elevations have you done before? You can hike all day at Acadia and never climb more than a few hundred vertical feet. How many hours a day to you expect to hike? Do you expect a goal such as a summit?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

We can climb 4000 vertical feet in a day, but it is not necessarily needed. We can enjoy a flat trail as well.
We expect to hike for about 8-10 hours in a day.
Summit is a nice to have.

Igor.

igoroks

However, coming from Israel...not sure where you'll be basing yourself out of. Acadia is quite the trip from the NYC area....not as bad if you're starting out in Boston. Lots of variables to consider....

We will be renting a car, and driving from NYC north to Acadia, and back through NH, Vermont, Adirondacks (and possibly even Finger Lakes and Niagara if we have time left).

Beetlenut

We will be renting a car, and driving from NYC north to Acadia, and back through NH, Vermont, Adirondacks (and possibly even Finger Lakes and Niagara if we have time left).

Franconia might be the best bang for the buck. Right off the highway, and lots to do and see. Many good day hikes out of that area, and you could stay over just down the road in Lincoln and do Moosilauke too.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I would do Marcy, Mansfield and Mt. Washington. The 3 highest peaks in their respective states, and Acadia. Every area has it's own feel and that is one of the coolest things about the NE. Smal and diverse.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you can hike 4000 feet of elevation in a day, you can handle any hike in the northeast. Mount Washington is the highest and has a 4000~ elevation gain depending on your approach route.
Is it wrong?
A hike of Mount Washington is usually a full day event taking 8 hours round trip for "book time" from most directions without any side trips or alternate loops. The weather is unpredictable any where in the mountains but definitely Mount Washington has the most variables. I think Mount Washington has an AMAZING number of interesting things, more so than any other single mountain in New Hampshire. The summit is not one of those amazing parts of the mountain though and I think most hikers are let down when they reach the summit due to the "zoo" factor. Recommended but with reservations.

However, I would recommend the Franconia Ridge Loop without any reservations. There is a reason it is one of the most hiked loops in New Hampshire. Classic eight mile loop with three waterfalls and a ridge walk over three peaks with sensational 360 views along the ridge. Can't go wrong with this loop except on weekends or in bad weather.

Arcadia is a great recommendation. No big hikes here in terms of vertical but an amazing place to enjoy the outdoors with a few small mountain hikes on the ocean. Great option. Probably best to set aside a few days to explore the entire park.

Baxter State Park should surely be in the short list though I have no experience. I think the recommendation that this should be done as an extended excursion and not just a quick hit for one hike is sound advice.

Someone else can speak for the Dacks, I imagine there are some impressive hikes up there. Personally, I would skip VT but that is just my taste in dramatic over sublime. VT has good hikes but just doesn't have the dramatics you'll find in the Whites of NH and Dacks of NY.

Oh don't forget "you can't get there from here". East to west across Northern New England will take you a long time but it can be done. From Arcadia, I-95 down to Route 302 will get you to the Franconia Ridge/Mount Washington/White Mountains/etc. and then you'd have a long haul of I-93, I-91, Route 2, I-89, and ferry across a lake to get to the Dacks. Long haul to try to bag the highlights of New England. You could just do Arcadia and then Baxter in Maine and to heck with the rest of the region.

skibum9995

I agree with everyone recommending Franconia Ridge, one the the best short hikes around. Another good option is Garfield, 10 mi round trip, pretty moderate grades except for the last bit.

In the northeast Baxter can't be beat but doing just a day is a hassle and a tease. In addition it's in the middle of nowhere, making it hard to get some variety in your trip.

igoroks

Thanks for all the suggestions!
So we are quite sure now that we will go to Acadia and Franconia, and possibly to Mt Washington.

What about the trails in the Finger Lakes and in the Niagara Falls areas? Are there any specific trails there that can compete with all the trails that you mentioned?

Thanks,
Igor.

igoroks

Franconia Ridge Loop

And I have few questions about the Franconia Ridge Loop:
  • Is the trail marked?
  • What can be the weather/temperature on the trail in the first week of September?
  • Where can I get a map of the trail?

Thank you!
Igor.

Beetlenut

And I have few questions about the Franconia Ridge Loop:
  • Is the trail marked?
  • What can be the weather/temperature on the trail in the first week of September?
  • Where can I get a map of the trail?
Thank you!
Igor.

1. All the trails in that area are very well blazed!
2. Could be mid 80's and very humid - could get into the 40's at night - weather is more fickle in the Fall.
3.If you drive by Pinkam Notch, you can stop in and buy individual maps of the area. There is a Franconia area map printed on Tivek that would probably run you a few dollars. Or you could register for a free account online at the AMC site https://www.wmgonline.org/register/index.cfm?action=choose and check out the maps they offer.