• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/9 Storm Discussion Thread

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
Pics

Exit 18 off the thruway reporting....

I got about a foot of fluffy light pow. Blue skies and sun now, but temps are still cold (=no meltage). Heading up to mount snow tommorow.....

Oh..heres some pics... New Paltz, NY

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

LineSki15

Wow conditions are going to be amazing tomorrow huh?
You guys think it will be crazily crowded on the slopes tomorrow. who cares right?

JimG.

Staff member
Hunter reporting 8" also, 8" at the base and "more up top". 8" seems like a fair estimation of total snowfall.

Also, snow has stopped.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
ctenidae said:
It's currently raining in Boston

Don't rain on everyone's snow parade. Go find some bourbon. And that is an order!

:dunce:

About 8" in NW RI (where I work) and still snowing at a good clip with a bit of sleet mixed in.

ctenidae

Would that I could, Marc.

Fully expected some rain this afternoon, though. Darn that pesky warm ocean! Ought to bode well for the wountains, though, as the winds wrap around.

Catul

ALLSKIING said:
Catul said:
Still coming down hard here (NW CT) at about 1 - 1.5" an hour, got about 10-12" on the deck already. Ski Sundown was great powder this morning!
10 to 12 inches :blink: I thought they were calling for only 6 or so.

Just came in from snowblowing/shoveling - measured it at 10", and it was still going while I was blowing; about done now, I'd estimate between 11"-12" for sure up here, nice! :D

Zand

:eek:

Snow's coming down at about 2" an hour and the winds have suddenly picked up to about 30 MPH. I can't see the road 100 feet from my house. Snow's just about up to 10" and we've got another hour or two to go.

ctenidae

It's back to snow again in Boston. So heavy, I can't see 1/4 of a mile across the river. Crazy.
Heavy, wet rain/snow mix- mostly snow. Glad I don't have to drive in it.

Zand

13" here in Leicester currently. Some drifts are up over 2 1/2'. Snow has lightened up some, but still looking at another few inches before all is said and done. Visibility is currently about 1/2 mile here.

To measure big snows, I usee these 2 pipes and wellhead sticking out of the lawn. The pipes are a foot high and the well is a foot and a half. The pipes are completely buried and the wellhead is visible, but a few more inches will take care of it as well.

I guess NECN was right when they said 12-18" for our area instead of 6-10" like everyone else.

bvibert

Staff member
We got at least 12" here in NW CT! :D :beer: Id say it was falling at a rate of at least 2" an hour for a while.

ChileMass

Hey - someone just turned off the switch - it has been DUMPING here for the last 3-4 hours, but it just stopped in the last 5 minutes. Weird. It ws coming down at least 2 inches per hour for a while.

Went out a few minutes ago and unfortunately it look slike the last few inches were very heavy wet stuff after 6-8 inches of light stuff before. I'm estimating a solid foot of snow here just east of Worcester......

dmc

JimG. said:
Hunter reporting 8" also, 8" at the base and "more up top". 8" seems like a fair estimation of total snowfall.

Also, snow has stopped.

It was an awesome day - easily 8" - drifts over the knee - my friend Lora stands a little over 5 foot and she kept idssapearing...
Clairs was the early call.. And it did not dissapoint...

The whole Eastside was great!... Lots of snow...
Ask me about the skiing on "reserved trails" when I see you tomorrow... ;) I think i need a tune now...

I bet Hunter is at 100% in a week...

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
JimG. said:

Also, snow has stopped.

It was an awesome day - easily 8" - drifts over the knee - my friend Lora stands a little over 5 foot and she kept idssapearing...
Clairs was the early call.. And it did not dissapoint...

The whole Eastside was great!... Lots of snow...
Ask me about the skiing on "reserved trails" when I see you tomorrow... ;) I think i need a tune now...

I bet Hunter is at 100% in a week...

Nice! I'm very pumped up for tomorrow. I'll be there early for an 8:30 chair.

RISkier

ctenidae said:
It's back to snow again in Boston. So heavy, I can't see 1/4 of a mile across the river. Crazy.
Heavy, wet rain/snow mix- mostly snow. Glad I don't have to drive in it.

Well, I did drive in it. I work in Providence, thought it was all over and then it got very intense this afternoon. Snow mixed into the rain and was packed by traffic into pure ice. I've not seen that part of I95 that icy. We probably only had 3-4" inchs here, maybe not that, but the roads... Took almost 2.5 hours to get home (24 miles), felt like I flying in places. Like Dorothy says, there's no place like home.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
We got at least 12" here in NW CT! :D :beer: Id say it was falling at a rate of at least 2" an hour for a while.
Indeed. A solid 12" here. Amazing day, eh. Bri? Here's the Sundown trip report.

Imagine if this sucker moved a bit slower?