• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/9 Storm Discussion Thread

Zand

This one's for real. :wink:

Looks like this one should touch all of New England, even if it is just a few inches in the mountains. They're forecasting 3-6" for my area already, and maybe 1-2 feet in the Mid-Atlantic and Cape. :eek:

Big Game

I don't know....fool me once stoopid weather forecast, shame on you, fool me twice, ah...who am I kidding, I'll fall for the hype anytime all the time. Big Kahuna coming! I can feel it in my big toe!!!!!!

loafer89

The NWS forecast discussion is talking about 6"+ for Long Island on late thursday night into friday morning.

Greg

Staff member
You jinxed today's "storm", ya know... ;)

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Zand said:
This one's for real. :wink:

I can't wait to ski on cape cod, those hills rock, honestly, the mountains snows on sat night/sunday will be alot more benefical to ski areas than the nor'easter that'll go 50 miles south of the NE benchmark for big snows

Tin Woodsman

Unless you like to rock out at Yawgoo Valley, this thread is a waste of bandwidth. This storm, like all others this year, will push further south and east than currently anticipated by some. It would be more valuable to focus on the quasi-LES event and upper level trough passage unfolding tonight through tomorrow night. That will drop FAR more snow in the mountains that matter than the synoptic system on Friday.

skibum1321

It really doesn't sound very promising according to weather underground. It says a 20% chance of snow. For some reason that just doesn't sound like it's going to do much for us.
Just a thought, but maybe we should wait for a real storm to start a discussion on it. I could care less about an inch of snow here and there - it's just a nice surprise when I look at the snow report the next morning.

Greg

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
Just a thought, but maybe we should wait for a real storm to start a discussion on it. I could care less about an inch of snow here and there - it's just a nice surprise when I look at the snow report the next morning.
Agreed. Let's please let either me or the mods start these "official storm discussion" threads. Or if a pre-storm discussion thread looks to be evolving into an imminent event, we'll change the title. The last couple of "official" threads have been hype and speculation rather than reports on an event as in years past.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, either way I was planning another trip to Mount Snow this weekend... so... if it snows on Friday, just another bonus.

Here's hoping!

:beer:

highpeaksdrifter

Phildozer said:
THANK YOU!

Enough with the "there's going to be a storm in 17 days" threads.

I truly don't get this. If someone wants to start a thread "there's going to be a storm in 17 days" and some others want to read it why should anyone else care. It doesn't break any forum rules, flame wars, politics, etc. I'm foolish enough that I like to read long term forcasts, they at least give me hope. Then if I'm get let down later it's my problem and the problem of others who want to read them.

If you don't want to read it just don't read it. It's that simple. Control freaks gone wild, jeeze. :angry:

Greg

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
Control freaks gone wild, jeeze. :angry:
Hardly. I have no problem with folks starting threads to discuss a storm "prediction". I just want to discourage assigning the "official" title to it. Historically, the "Official xx/xx Storm Discussion Threads" were started by me or a mod and used to discuss an imminent storm as well as report the effects of it as it unfolds. If renaming someone's forecast thread to an "official" thread is warranted, we will do so.

What happened to Joshua by the way? ;)

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I know the mods nixed this thread, and I was a na sayer as well but as this storm gets closer its becoming far more interesting.

The models are starting to come in agreement with eacher other. With one model bringing the storm track as far north as the South RI and a few others bringing it about 75 miles south of there. This would mean a mix for some of Southern New England that got in on the last one, but it would also bring more snow to the southern mountains of NH and VT. Specifically, Killington across to Sunapee/Gunstock and south. Possibly 6-10 inches when you factor the the cold air in that will make for fluffier snow (possibly more but that remains to be seen as the storm approaches). The berkshires will certianly get hit. This will be a quick mover and will play out basically from 9AM Friday until 3PM. Look for Saturday to be a winner.

Sorry mods if this was no longer intended to be a storm thread, but I thought as possibilities arose it would be good to give people a heads up.

-Porter

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
greg, that sounds great and thank you for jumping in with your thoughts. i like the way things were done last year with official only being assigned to imminent threads as a way to obtain locailzed snow fall totals as they were occuring. i have no objection to long term model tracking and analysis, but thing threads should be names such.

that said, what happened to the official storm thread for yesterday and jay peak getting over a foot of fresh!?! ;)

Greg

Staff member
salida said:
Sorry mods if this was no longer intended to be a storm thread, but I thought as possibilities arose it would be good to give people a heads up.
No worries. If this thing materializes, we'll use this thread to discuss it. My only gripe is the starting of these threads too early...