• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

reloading on ski gear

Geoff

Last week:
184 cm Volkl AC50 with integral Markers on eBay

Today:
184 cm Salomon X-Wing Furies with integral Z12 Ti bindings (my 3rd pair)
2 pairs of graphite Scott poles
Replacement shells for my Head World Cups

deadheadskier

Staff member
Your gear, but aren't those skis essentially the exact same? Just seems redundant to me, but I'm not all together familiar with both boards.

Volkl is 128-85-112 with 19.6 radius

Salomon is 128-85-111 with a similar radius

Geoff

stiff vs soft???

Not so much. The skis are very similar in flex pattern and both are very stiff by today's standards. Within one mm, they're the same dimensions and both have a 20-ish meter turn radius. I happen to like that style of ski as my everyday ski.

My travel pattern looks like I will be in Denver frequently. I'm getting an Epic Pass. I need a good pair of skis to leave in Colorado since it's cheaper to buy skis than pay for performance demos, the airline baggage charge, or the FEDEX ground charge. I lost my elite frequent flyer status from not working for a year so I have to pay to check bags, sit in a crappy seat, and wait in the long security line instead of using the VIP line. I doubt I'll fly enough the rest of this year to get my frequent flyer status back.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, I would like to have a redundant quiver in two different mountain ranges myself. :daffy:

Should the company you are doing work for happen to be looking for a motivated sales professional for their New England territory, I'm the guy. I am fully comfortable with a three month orientation / training period this winter and I'm accepting of a position that requires frequent trips to 'home base'. ;)

madskier6

Last week:
184 cm Volkl AC50 with integral Markers on eBay

Today:
184 cm Salomon X-Wing Furies with integral Z12 Ti bindings (my 3rd pair)
2 pairs of graphite Scott poles
Replacement shells for my Head World Cups

So which pair goes West & which pair stays East? I'm guessing the Salomons go West & the Volkls stay East. The Salomons are a little softer than the Volkls but what do I know?

mondeo

So which pair goes West & which pair stays East? I'm guessing the Salomons go West & the Volkls stay East. The Salomons are a little softer than the Volkls but what do I know?
I'm guessing Sollys stay East, given that it being his third pair indicates really liking them, and thus would be wanted for daily use.

Geoff

I'm guessing Sollys stay East, given that it being his third pair indicates really liking them, and thus would be wanted for daily use.

Right now, I'm thinking that last year's Furys go west.

I'll do a season-long bake off between the Fury and the AC50 with both pairs starting out fresh.

Geoff

eBay Smith Phenom Turbo goggles. Black frames with the RC36 lens. New in box. $36.00 including free shipping.

Glenn

I'd love to hear about the AC 50's. Keep me posted. What were you able to snag them for on E-Bay?

SkiDork

I know I can google this but just wondering if anyone knows the diff between the Volkl AC50 and AC30? The AC30 has big ads in both SKI and Skiing this month, but I thought the AC50 was the hot ski? What gives?

Glenn

Off the top of my head...the 30 is a narrower ski....76 vs. 84 or 85 on the 50. I'm sure there are a few other differences as well.

AC30 is 80mm now, AC50 is 85...its more the price though, $899 vs $999 (for the 12 DIN binding) and the AC50 was the #1 mens ski sold through specialty retailers last year...it used to be the AC30 outsold it...so to me it looks like they're trying to ramp up the sales of the AC30...get it back to being a franchise model.

Geoff

AC30 is 80mm now, AC50 is 85...its more the price though, $899 vs $999 (for the 12 DIN binding) and the AC50 was the #1 mens ski sold through specialty retailers last year...it used to be the AC30 outsold it...so to me it looks like they're trying to ramp up the sales of the AC30...get it back to being a franchise model.

AC30 - widened to 80mm. $1,065.00
AC50 - unchanged at 85mm. $1,175.00

If you believe the gear reviews, the AC50 is better in crud and soft snow, is more stable at speed, and is slightly better on hard snow. I'm not sure I believe the stability and hard snow stuff since it's counter-intuitive.

I guess it's tough to sell a performance ski that is less than 80mm at the waist.

AC30 - widened to 80mm. $1,065.00
AC50 - unchanged at 85mm. $1,175.00

those prices are MSRP, unless your local ski shop is in Beaver Creek, you'll find the prices I gave are what those skis sell for...they even give the disclaimer in the beginning of the skiing mag review.

Glenn

Sierra's site is all sorts of messed up this AM. When I went to look last night, they were updating it with the 2010 gear.