• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Epic

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Today we did a variation of one of my favorite rides. Starting in Stowe we ride trail and some road out to Morrisville and back. Last time we did the ride it was about 32 miles. Big J has the GPS data, but I think that's right. Today we added an additional hour of single track that I hadn't ridden in a few years, and a few more road miles. Total was somewhere around 40 miles, 6.5 hours, with about 3 10 minute breaks.
Started in the rain, which cleared by the time we hit maple run. A few minutes later it was sunny, cool, puffy white clouds. The trails were moist. Roots were treacherously slick and the soil was greasy. It made for some double black diamond descending. I was an epic ride, finished of with 2 switch backs and 6 slices of Pizza from Pie in the Sky. Totally worked. Felt like fall this afternoon. I love my bike.

Greg

Staff member
40 mile MTB rides are whacked.

Nice work.

WoodCore

Today we did a variation of one of my favorite rides. Starting in Stowe we ride trail and some road out to Morrisville and back. Last time we did the ride it was about 32 miles. Big J has the GPS data, but I think that's right. Today we added an additional hour of single track that I hadn't ridden in a few years, and a few more road miles. Total was somewhere around 40 miles, 6.5 hours, with about 3 10 minute breaks.
Started in the rain, which cleared by the time we hit maple run. A few minutes later it was sunny, cool, puffy white clouds. The trails were moist. Roots were treacherously slick and the soil was greasy. It made for some double black diamond descending. I was an epic ride, finished of with 2 switch backs and 6 slices of Pizza from Pie in the Sky. Totally worked. Felt like fall this afternoon. I love my bike.

I'm so not worthy!

bvibert

Staff member
That sounds like one heck of a ride. I could probably handle a 20 miler or so, but I don't think 40 is in the cards right now.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Profile:
self_loathing_profile.jpg

Fall 50 anyone?

Trekchick

Wow, just wow!
A 20 mile mt bike ride kicks my butt.
Once or twice I've done morning and afternoon rides that are 10-15 miles, which would be between 20-30 miles in a day but not at one stint, and only with refueling in the middle.
Kudos!

BigJay

NIce one Dave!

I love those Stowe Epic! But i can't think about riding this on my SS! You rip! And to think you added some miles to that loop! Wow!

I see you carry a GPS now... that's cool... i rarely use mine anymore... except in winter when i always keep one around (with extra batteries!) when playing deep in the woods!

We're riding in Montgomery this afternoon, i hope it will be dry and that they didn't get rained on yesterday...

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Middlebury friend put the profile together. Sadly, no GPS for me yet. I've had plans to get back up to Gomery all summer, have yet to make it back....soon. One thing about long rides....every hour you ride taxes you less. The first half of a ride you are burned pretty bad, then you start riding really efficiently w/o thinking about it.....every additional hour seems to tax you less and less. I think most folks could go a lot deeper then they think. Maybe not every day, but once in a while.

Last edited:

tjf67

Profile:
self_loathing_profile.jpg

Fall 50 anyone?

We are coming over the first weekend in for a little camp ride. May be we could arrange a little friendly beat down. We could call it the big peaks against the little ones. HAHA Nice ride sounds like fun

JD

Website
hotmail.com
TJF....Weekends are hard for me for the next several weeks. Restaurant get's real busy thru the second week of October. Maybe could do some real early morning stuff in the Waterbury, Barre, Stowe area. Love to show you around any of those areas. pm me.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I sit here and there if we're rolling long flat or DH road I can sit and pedal, not with any power. I run out of gear pretty fast on the road so I coast alot there. And sometimes I'll grab a few moments of seat time in the woods...but gernally no. Standing and pedaling at low speed thru technical singletrack is very fun. The seat just get's in the way when you want to bunny hop up on or over things. If my Seat tube angle wasn't so slack I could raise my seat and pedal a bit, and my next bike will provide that option, but when I bought the Evil I wanted something versatile so I didn't need a stable of bikes like all my friends have, and I wanted as unbreakable as possible. I can trials on the bike, ride park, ride trail, I could ride lifts if I had bigger forks. Dirt Jump. I has been amazingly reliable, I've beat the crap out of it for 8 years. I love it.

awf170

I sit here and there if we're rolling long flat or DH road I can sit and pedal, not with any power. I run out of gear pretty fast on the road so I coast alot there. And sometimes I'll grab a few moments of seat time in the woods...but gernally no. Standing and pedaling at low speed thru technical singletrack is very fun. The seat just get's in the way when you want to bunny hop up on or over things. If my Seat tube angle wasn't so slack I could raise my seat and pedal a bit, and my next bike will provide that option, but when I bought the Evil I wanted something versatile so I didn't need a stable of bikes like all my friends have, and I wanted as unbreakable as possible. I can trials on the bike, ride park, ride trail, I could ride lifts if I had bigger forks. Dirt Jump. I has been amazingly reliable, I've beat the crap out of it for 8 years. I love it.

If you plan on getting a new bike soon (like in the next year) give me a heads up since I would be very interested in buying this bike. I need a cheap, strong, hardtail that I can beat the sh*t out of in Lynn Woods.

MR. evil

If you plan on getting a new bike soon (like in the next year) give me a heads up since I would be very interested in buying this bike. I need a cheap, strong, hardtail that I can beat the sh*t out of in Lynn Woods.

I am already planning a HT 'play bike' build for places like Lynn Woods or the stunt trail at Case.

JD

Website
hotmail.com

I will never sell that bike. You can find 'em used on Bustedspoke.