• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mantra vs. AC50

BackLoafRiver

...and when/ where to buy them.

Right now, I am still rocking a pair of Volkl S2 Unlimited from 4 years ago. Definitely need something wider.

I demoed the AC50's at Sugarloaf last season and really liked them. They didn't have the Mantra.

I am looking for something that will grip the East Coast Ice but still float on the Powder. (essentially the one quiver ski) Not sure if anyone had an opinions one way or the other. I just know it is time for something new.

From what I can tell, there isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the $$ difference in the 2009-2010 editions. I am just fine getting last seasons models. Don't know if anyone knows of a place where they might be selling them on the cheap.

Thoughts? Much appreciated.

TheBEast

I've got a pair of '08 Mantras. If you wanted them to be a one quiver ski, they can certainly hold their own on the hard pack and love the crud and powder. I'd suggest a beefly binding as I went with a mid-tier marker and seem to have a lot of issues clicking out in the least opportune times.....any way, you can't go wrong with the Mantras (I've got 2 other friends on them who love them). As a disclaimer I know nothing about the AC50s....Do some searches online and I'll bet something will pop up. Good luck!

tjf67

If it is going to be your only ski the AC-50 will be a better purchase. I would say they are equally good for what they are designed for. The 50 are for more resort hard pack crud type of stuff. They are 85 under foot and will float but they are going to dig through. The Mantras are going to float and handle the crud better but are not going to give you the sort of grip in the mard pack that the 50's do.

wa-loaf

I skied the Mantra's last year. Basicly thought they pretty much railed on the hardpack at Wachusett. If you can carve and put a Jester type binding on. That's all you'll need. And is definitely a better pow ski than the AC50.

I was at the shop at Wachusett today. They have a big Labor day sale coming up and I saw a few of last years Mantra's kicking around. You might want to give them a call and see what they want for them.

madskier6

The ultimate choice IMHO is whether you want a ski that predominately skis groomed-type conditions well with the ability to float in powder & crud conditions on occasion or whether you are looking primarily for a softer snow ski for powder & crud but also want the ability to carrve on groomers on occasion.

If it's the former, get the AC50s, if its the latter, get the Mantras.

Where do you do most of your skiing: (1) which mountain(s) & then (2) at those mountains, which type of trails/terrain?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have no experience with the AC50, but when I demoed the Mantra I was more impressed by their groomer performance than their powdery trees performance. That was very surprising to me.

The ultimate choice IMHO is whether you want a ski that predominately skis groomed-type conditions well with the ability to float in powder & crud conditions on occasion or whether you are looking primarily for a softer snow ski for powder & crud but also want the ability to carrve on groomers on occasion.

If it's the former, get the AC50s, if its the latter, get the Mantras.QUOTE]

what he said.

roark

I'm with Riv here. Demoed the mantra. Thought it was slow to turn in the trees and flotation wasn't that great compared to other skis available. Was surprised at how it railed the groomers. Never skied the AC50. IMHO both fit the new mid-fat all mt category. But I would guess the mantras would be better in pow so if these are the two options...

NESkibum

I am on my second pair or Mantras and love them. They are a ski that you can do anything on. The only time I don't really care for them is when its bulletproof. If the snow is hard and fast they are great. But it sounds like you may want something with more grip so the AC50 may be the better option for you. If you demoed the AC50 and liked it you may also like the Blizzard 8.1 or 8.7. They are both really nice skis and would be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Philpug

I am on my second pair or Mantras and love them. They are a ski that you can do anything on. The only time I don't really care for them is when its bulletproof. If the snow is hard and fast they are great. But it sounds like you may want something with more grip so the AC50 may be the better option for you. If you demoed the AC50 and liked it you may also like the Blizzard 8.1 or 8.7. They are both really nice skis and would be a good fit for what you are looking for.

X2 I preferred the Blizzards over the Volkls myself. The 8.7 was more versatile than the AC50 w/o loosing the performance.

The Mantra is a different animal though, more float with a longer turn radius.

Trekchick

X2 I preferred the Blizzards over the Volkls myself. The 8.7 was more versatile than the AC50 w/o loosing the performance.

The Mantra is a different animal though, more float with a longer turn radius.
X3
I've skied the AC50, Blizzard 8.7 and the Volkl Aura(womens' version of Mantra).

Even though everyone raves about the Aura/Mantra, I liked the Gotama better for the purpose that I would pick that ski from the quiver, but for the skiing you're describing, I'd take the Blizzard 8.7, unless your convicted with Volkl, then I'd take the AC50.

WoodCore

I've skied on both and would say the AC50 is the ski I would choose if going with a one ski quiver. It's definitely more of an "all around" ski than the mantra is.

BackLoafRiver

I missed the tramdock post due to being out of state. I wish I had a chance to demo the Blizzards you had mentioned.

The hardest part in the decision process is trying to decide where I am going to spend the majority of my time. I am not good enough to go off piste quite yet so I don't need to set myself up with an AT setup or anything like that. Still on the groomers but am in fresh every day that work is canceled due to a storm. (or we are fortunate enough to get a weekend dump)

BackLoafRiver

Been a while since I updated on this. Meant to do it Sunday but my legs were on fire and I crashed...hard.

After about 2 solid months of reading, discussing, etc. I stumbled upon the Smuggs Ski and Snowboard sale at the Champlain Valley Fairgrounds in VT. while visiting family.

They didn't have much in my size BUT I did manage to strike up a conversation with a dude from Pinnacle Ski in Stowe. I knew the shop since I had done some business with Inner Bootworks a few years ago. Was very happy with the service. I was told they were doing a package deal on Mantras through their internet site, skiessentials.

Already too long story, I ended up with a pair of Mantra's matched with a Griffon binding.

I took them out last week and man, was I in heaven. On groomed, they ripped. At one point, I felt like I was strapped to the front of a bullet train. (Mostly cause I was too stupid to control them properly) I did find, once my legs got tired and I started going back to my bad habbits, they liked to punish me. However, once the trail had been chopped up, they really stepped up. Ate through the slop and held their edge on some pretty hard snow.

The Griffons made it super easy to get them up on edge. Overall, really pleased with them. Excited to see what they can REALLY do when we get more snow!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I did find, once my legs got tired and I started going back to my bad habbits, they liked to punish me.
I find this intriguing. I had asked about the Auras on Ski Diva at one point (because many of them women are ga-ga for them!) and was told by Trekchick, IIRC, that they would spank me for bad behavior. :lol: Guess that's carried over from the men's to the women's version. :lol:

Sounds like they're a good fit for you though. Enjoy them!