• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

killington closed trail policy

skiadikt

posted at the kzone.

To: All Staff
Date: 12/9/2005
Re: Closed Trail Skiing Policy

The following is our policy for any staff or guest found skiing or riding on closed trails:

· SEASON PASS HOLDERS

FIRST VIOLATION:
A warning will be issued and a hole punched in the pass.

SECOND VIOLATION:
A loss of skiing/riding privileges for 7 days and another hole punched in the pass.

THIRD VIOLATION:
A loss of skiing/riding privileges for the season.

· DAY AND MULTI-DAY TICKET HOLDERS

FIRST VIOLATION:
A warning will be issued and a hole punched in the ticket.

SECOND VIOLATION:
A loss of ticket.

Thanks for your cooperation and for communicating this policy.

really sux big time. for us pass holders 3 strikes & you're out. with all fresh snow, this weekend is prime for skiing 'reserved' trails. not happy.

Vortex

I imagine this will be showing up at other ASC resorts. I'm boring if its not open I don't go on it. I don't like the risk of pass loss. I saw this on KZone also. Thankx for bringing over here.

Only question I have is what is the difference between reserved and closed? Maybe a trail for competitions or special events or is ita a nice way to say closed?

skiadikt

Bob R said:
I imagine this will be showing up at other ASC resorts. I'm boring if its not open I don't go on it. I don't like the risk of pass loss. I saw this on KZone also. Thankx for bringing over here.

Only question I have is what is the difference between reserved and closed? Maybe a trail for competitions or special events or is ita a nice way to say closed?

nice way.

Vortex

Thankx. Kind of wondering, cause all the platinum pass talk and early lift access grumblings. I was curious if that may have lead to some trail benifits also. Cool.

BeanoNYC

I think it's more than fair. How many times does a poacher actually get caught? By the time your pass has two punches it's probably the end of the season, so you follow the rules for a few weeks. IMO, anyone who actually gets the three punches is a habitual rope ducker and deserves to have his/her pass pulled. I'll be surprised if I get even one punch on my pass this season.

BeanoNYC

Bob R said:
BeanoNYC you thrill seeker. :wink:

LMAO ..... please ..... I have a lot of learning to do. If a trail is closed, I probably have no business being on it. I only succumb to peer pressure! You and I can stick to the groomers buddy!

Ondurass

Ah, what is wrong with this policy? Used to be at Killington that if you were caught skiing closed trails once then pass was gone. If you get caught 3 times then you deserve to lose your pass. If you want to ski closed ski trails then go skin up pico like many were doing 2 weeks ago. :D

thetrailboss

Staff member
It all goes back to an earlier discussion that we had regarding legal issues. If Jimmy goes and skis on a closed trail and gets hurt, patrol IS NOT going to go out there to look for him. He eventually is rescued and then sues the resort for negligence.

Again, I know we'll hear, "but that won't be me...I'm a responsible skier/rider," and that's fine, but I'm of the mindset that a trail is closed for a reason and when you are skiing at a private resort, you have to follow their rules. If you want to ski 'au naturale,' hit the backcountry I guess. Therefore you really assume all of the risk. :roll:

But most of the resorts are of the mindset that they are inviting you to ski at the resort, and therefore, they are assuming a risk by having you there. They have a duty, to some level, to provide a safe environment and when skiers/riders ignore these restrictions, it puts the whole resort in legal risk and physical risk of their patrollers lives.

For example, if I invite you to my house and I tell you, "don't go into that room, please," I expect that you are not going to enter that room. I may or may not tell you why-there could be a hole in the floor or I have my pet wolf in there. If you just go in there anyways and get hurt, I still owe a duty to you and your well being to some level. When you ski a closed trail at a resort that you have paid to visit, you are doing essentially the same thing as entering into my closed room.