• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Band

dmc

The Band is my new favorite old group...

I've always listened to them but for some reason I have a new appreciation... Songs like King Harvest blow my mind...

I've seen a couple Levon Helm rambles - and it never disappoints.. Makes you remember why you like music and what making music is all about....

Last Ramble i was at Donald Fagen sang King Harvest...

Anyone else like the "The Band"?

Geoff

The Band is my new favorite old group...

I've always listened to them but for some reason I have a new appreciation... Songs like King Harvest blow my mind...

I've seen a couple Levon Helm rambles - and it never disappoints.. Makes you remember why you like music and what making music is all about....

Last Ramble i was at Donald Fagen sang King Harvest...

Anyone else like the "The Band"?

I grew up with it. I have the Brown Album on my iPod that I listen to once in a while. About the same frequency I listen to other stuff of the era like The James Gang or pre-Fly Like an Eagle and Joker Steve Miller. Music I owned in vinyl several times wearing the albums out, then CD, now MP3. Kind of like Dark Side of the Moon or Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

I'm listening to a lot of 1970's jazzy or funky horn section stuff at the moment. Chicago, Tower of Power, Average White Band...

I'm all over the place right now. I have Big Bad Voodoo Daddy doing ancient 40's and 50's swing covers on at the moment. I had Mozart going this morning.

Dr Skimeister

*Raising My Hand*

I had a roommate in college in the mid-70s that turned me on to The Band and I've been a fan ever since. I think of them as the originators of what now is called the "Americana" genre. Thank you to Ronny Hawkins for getting these guys together originally as his back-up band. The original line-up is so much better, IMHO, than the other incarnations that arose over the years.

I got to see Rick Danko so a great solo show a week or so before the Grim Reaper tapped him on the shoulder.

I've also really like both of Levon Helm's releases of the last two years, Dirt Farmer and Electric Dirt. Maybe some day I'll be able to be up in Bearsville (?) to catch a Ramble.

Edd

I can always sit down and watch The Last Waltz.

Levon Helm is staying pretty busy lately.

dmc

I've also really like both of Levon Helm's releases of the last two years, Dirt Farmer and Electric Dirt. Maybe some day I'll be able to be up in Bearsville (?) to catch a Ramble.

It's Woodstock :)
Let me know if your going - I'm up for another... Last one had Donald Fagen sining King HArvest... wow....

Thing is - i always knew about them... I knew the songs... But for some reason in the last few years - it just hit me how really mega great they were... Maybe it's from living here.. Big Pink is only 20 minutes drive from me :)

dmc

Love the band

glad to see Levon doing well.

Robbie Robertson is a selfish sonofabitch

Levon is doing well!! The rambles make me tingle! It's just an insane celebration!

Al Grossman was a selfish sonofabitch too... Some people piss on his grave behind Bearsville in retribution for stealing song writing credits with Robbie... I've never pissed but i did pour a beer on it for the good things he did....

icedtea

Levon is doing well!! The rambles make me tingle! It's just an insane celebration!

Al Grossman was a selfish sonofabitch too... Some people piss on his grave behind Bearsville in retribution for stealing song writing credits with Robbie... I've never pissed but i did pour a beer on it for the good things he did....

Levon is the man. I am friends with people real close to him, they have worked on producing some of his albums. He will be in AC tomorrow at the Borgata.

Woodstock is still a hotbed for music!!

Electric Dirt is a great album.

madskier6

I love the Band. Music from Big Pink is one of my favorites & a definite classic. I also like the Basement Tapes with Bob. What an incredible summer they must have had that year hanging out at Big Pink, relaxing after being on the road for years & making great music.

I drove through Woodstock 2 months ago to experience the vibe after listening to Music from Big Pink for an extended period of time. I'd never been to Woodstock & wanted to check it out. Great town & area. I'd love to catch one of Levon's Rambles sometime.

dmc

Levon is the man. I am friends with people real close to him, they have worked on producing some of his albums. He will be in AC tomorrow at the Borgata.

Woodstock is still a hotbed for music!!

Electric Dirt is a great album.

New Black Crowes CD was recorded at the Barn... A life changing experience for them...

My buddy has done some video taping at the Ramble.. A rare thing... :)

Woodstock is great... So many great musicians live there..

4aprice

I'm also a fan of the Band. To me there is no better winter song then Arcadian Driftwood. Two lines in particular, "They call my home the land of snow" and "Canadian cold front movin in".

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Dr Skimeister

No doubt that "Big Pink" is an all-time classic album and one of my all-time favorite songs is on it ("The Weight"-although I like even better the version done with The Staple Singers on "The Last Waltz"), I like the second, eponymous album better. It's just that much more consistently accessible to me.

DMC-no doubt you're familiar with another "local" Catskills band, The Felice Brothers. Have you had a chance to listen to the new album that's sort-of side project of Simone Felice's, "The Duke and The King"? Album was released a few weeks ago. Good, rootsy story-telling music.

dmc

No doubt that "Big Pink" is an all-time classic album and one of my all-time favorite songs is on it ("The Weight"-although I like even better the version done with The Staple Singers on "The Last Waltz"), I like the second, eponymous album better. It's just that much more consistently accessible to me.

DMC-no doubt you're familiar with another "local" Catskills band, The Felice Brothers. Have you had a chance to listen to the new album that's sort-of side project of Simone Felice's, "The Duke and The King"? Album was released a few weeks ago. Good, rootsy story-telling music.

Yes - WDST has been playing Duke and the King a lot lately...

Felice Bros are great! Music is one of the reasons I chose this area to live...

deadheadskier

Staff member
abosolutly, and i still cant dis robbie - somewhere down the crazy river/storyville are still way up there as far as favorite songs/albums

i need to lerarn to imbed youtube vids

can't dis robbie? Not for unilaterally breaking up the Band? Not for keeping all of the royalties? Not for blaming Helm for Manuel's death because he took him on tour in part because Richard hadn't the money to get proper treatment for alcoholism?

I love Robbie as a guitarist and song writer. As a person? Asshole, selfish prick; Dylan even says so.

gorgonzola

can't dis robbie? Not for unilaterally breaking up the Band? Not for keeping all of the royalties? Not for blaming Helm for Manuel's death because he took him on tour in part because Richard hadn't the money to get proper treatment for alcoholism?

I love Robbie as a guitarist and song writer. As a person? Asshole, selfish prick; Dylan even says so.

right, i can't direspect him as a musician. i tend to disassociate the other stuff - one i really don't pay that close attention and even if i did i have a hard time beliving that he had that much control. i'm not defending him or taking sides i just think alot of shit went on that we'll never know about.

hey i saw a movie the othere night that listed levon helm in the credits as an actor but couldnt pick him out?

WoodCore

Definitely a fan of The Band. They played a gig at Clarkson my freshman year of college 1990, I think.

Geoff

DMC got me listening to The Band this morning. I have the King Biscuit Flour Hour CD going right now.

It's a total disaster. My home theater audio dropped dead and won't stay up for more than 10 minutes without cycling power. The amp on my iPod just dropped dead. My only remaining music source is my notebook computer fed into an iPod dock speaker system I use when I travel. I guess I'm going to Best Buy today to at least get an AV Receiver.