• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I am taking the rest of December off...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
:lol:

no, seriously. wild pow day in the woods at jay today. 1.5' of light pow with deeper drifts. sick. due to a binding release, i got up close and personal w/a tree. broken right arm at/under the elbow. sucks but that's life. as always, my philosophy on life is live it 2 the fulest with no regrets. though in hind sight, i probably should have made sure my DINs were all set right before ski season began. pre-release due to 1 DIN being 7 instead of 8.

oh well. ortho on monday to see how bad it is. slinged and splintered till then. first ski injury and first break, terrible time for it though.

hey, i am still smiling and laughing :D :lol: take a powder turn or two for me this month :wink:

awf170

Are you trying to say you cant ski with just one broken arm :wink: you legs still work right, thats all that matters :lol: :wink:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
riverc0il said:
:lol:

no, seriously. wild pow day in the woods at jay today. 1.5' of light pow with deeper drifts. sick. due to a binding release, i got up close and personal w/a tree. broken right arm at/under the elbow. sucks but that's life. as always, my philosophy on life is live it 2 the fulest with no regrets. though in hind sight, i probably should have made sure my DINs were all set right before ski season began. pre-release due to 1 DIN being 7 instead of 8.

oh well. ortho on monday to see how bad it is. slinged and splintered till then. first ski injury and first break, terrible time for it though.

hey, i am still smiling and laughing :D :lol: take a powder turn or two for me this month :wink:
Glad it was just an arm break and nothing worse. Sorry to here about it though. Risk of injury is the only thing I don't like about this sport but glad to see you still have a smile on your face. Hope to see you out there in Jan.

BeanoNYC

Sorry to hear about your arm. I'm glad it's not more serious. Keep it rested and come back stronger than ever.

Greg

Staff member
Oh man. Bummer Steve. Glad you're okay other than the arm. Take it easy. With that positive attitude, you'll likely heal quickly!

LVNLARG

:eek: Get well soon. I'd be tempted to be the one armed bandit if a sweet pow day comes along though. If one/no legged skiers can get out there and have some fun there's no reason you can't. :D

:beer:

Terry

My daughter skied with one arm in a cast 2 years ago almost all winter. Had a bone tumor in her wrist. She skied with one pole sometimes, and sometimes no poles. She just had to be carefull. Poor dad and mom were having heart attacks about it though! Luckily everything turned out ok. Had a great surgeon at Mass General who removed it and everything is fine now! :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thanks for the well wishes. after i got my wind back at the crash site and took inventory, i kept thinking "well, that coulda been a lot worse!" guess that is part of the reason for having a positive attitude about it. plus, i went down doing the thing i love most in the conditions i love most giving it all i had. i go out everyday knowing the risks and i am comfortable with those risks.

i definitely won't be breaking (oops, bad choice of words) docs orders. if anything, i will be super cautious getting back into it.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
pre-release due to 1 DIN being 7 instead of 8.
I would think you'd be locked down more than this. Why these relatively low settings for a guy your size and ability?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Riv, get well soon! I would not let a broken arm keep me off the snow, I would just cut back on the terrain difficulty while it healed. Actually, I skied all last season with a torn rotator cuff and did just that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:eek:

Steve, that sucks! Hope things heal soon. Did Ski Patrol have to come get you? Now more time for your site and AZ.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
greg, 8 is per the chart. 210 lbs, 6'1", level 3. last time i cranked DIN thinking i knew better, i broke a ski. well, i know better now, better break a ski than an arm. the problem wasn't a DIN of 8, it was that one of the toe binders was at a 7.

teach, wouldnot risk making an injury worse with a fall. i LOVE skiing with everything in me, but it just wouldn't be worthg the risk.

trail, no way more time on my sitew or AZ. likely less. typing with only my lefty hand sucks.

dmc

I got all excited at first - cause I have all of the rest of the month off too...

But then I read the post... Sorry to hear about the arm...
That damn - inherent risk of the sport thing creeping in again.. :(

Get better...!!!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Been there(twice), done that. Sorry to hear that, bummer it's at the beginning of the season which, hopefully, will mean that you will still able to get some turns in down the road.

Last injury was a broken arm at Grand Targhee. Skied the whole day until as the pain increased until finally I could not hold my pole. Once the cast was on and feeling pretty good I did some light turning and nordic skiing during the rehab. It was at the end of March so the season was pretty much over anyway.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
dmc said:
I got all excited at first - cause I have all of the rest of the month off too...

dmc, I was thinking the same thing... i've got from next weekend, until the end of january... sweet pow will be mine

steve, bummer, january is a cold icy month anyways, hope you don't put a jinx on the snow gods

PS This happened to me two years ago, when I had to have knee surgery at thanksgiving and missed out on the epic december where the loaf and wildcat got 52inches... shit happens. But it was that much better when I got back into it in the end of January, it was like a whole new gig

LVNLARG

riverc0il said:
greg, 8 is per the chart. 210 lbs, 6'1", level 3. last time i cranked DIN thinking i knew better, i broke a ski. well, i know better now, better break a ski than an arm. the problem wasn't a DIN of 8, it was that one of the toe binders was at a 7.

teach, wouldnot risk making an injury worse with a fall. i LOVE skiing with everything in me, but it just wouldn't be worthg the risk.

trail, no way more time on my sitew or AZ. likely less. typing with only my lefty hand sucks.

I was thinking the exact same thing but I didn't know his size. IMHO 8 and 7 is WAY too low if you're really a power skier. I had my din determined to be 11 for everyday skiing by Atomic reps a year ago and I'm 5 11, 180. Although this shocked me (seemed a bit high to me) the only wipe outs I've had (3 or 4 bad wipe outs in the past few years) were all caused by pre-release of bindings set at 8. I was lucky I wasn't hurt badly in those...one even involved me flying thru the air about 50 feet and landing on my back knocking the wind out of me...a wipeout that seemingly looked so severe people on the lift were not laughing...they were actually screaming ski patrol. I havn't had a pre release since the change to 11 and still have the strength to test release out of the binding by intention. Personlly (based on my experiences) I think once you get to a certain level skis releasing become much more of a danger than skis not releasing. :idea: :eek:

LVNLARG

LVNLARG said:
riverc0il said:

I was thinking the exact same thing but I didn't know his size. IMHO 8 and 7 is WAY too low if you're really a power skier. I had my din determined to be 11 for everyday skiing by Atomic reps a year ago and I'm 5 11, 180. Although this shocked me (seemed a bit high to me) the only wipe outs I've had (3 or 4 bad wipe outs in the past few years) were all caused by pre-release of bindings set at 8. I was lucky I wasn't hurt badly in those...one even involved me flying thru the air about 50 feet and landing on my back knocking the wind out of me...a wipeout that seemingly looked so severe people on the lift were not laughing...they were actually screaming ski patrol. I havn't had a pre release since the change to 11 and still have the strength to test release out of the binding by intention. Personlly (based on my experiences) I think once you get to a certain level skis releasing become much more of a danger than skis not releasing. :idea: :eek:

Furthermore...I just looked at a chart and from what a can tell...you have your bindings set for a fresh out of the gate ...bunny hill...NOVICE. If you boot size is a group 3 and you're an expert skier your Din should actually be 11.25 I totally don't follow this binding din vs ski breaking logic either. If a skis gonna break...it's gonna break....din has no bearing on that. :blink:

awf170

LVNLARG said:
Furthermore...I just looked at a chart and from what a can tell...you have your bindings set for a fresh out of the gate ...bunny hill...NOVICE. If you boot size is a group 3 and you're an expert skier your Din should actually be 11.25 I totally don't follow this binding din vs ski breaking logic either. If a skis gonna break...it's gonna break....din has no bearing on that. :blink:

Hey, lvnlarg wheres a din chart, I cant find one. I think I need to get both my skis din jumped up this year, how much would that cost anyway?