• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Hood Oregon 8/30 - 9/5

powhunter

After a long ass day of traveling, got to the Mt. Hood Inn around 2...The beauty and the views out here are friggen awesome!! There is a brew pub within staggering distance of the Inn...Thats where im heading..Gonna have a Burger and a few Ice axe ales and call it a night...Took a little ride up to timberline...about 10 minutes just to check out the scene! A lot of skiers/riders up there today!!

Steveo

powhunter-albums-lob-picture332-day-1.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture333-day-2.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture334-day3.jpg

powhunter

Got up around 5am this morning (like a little kid on xmas morning)!!! Met the crew around 7...D-O the moguls coach was working on the kicker and said we were gonna start around 9 once things softened up a bit. Did one warm up run and by some unnatural force I was pulled right to the mogul lines!!! Even though they were a little firm they were sweet!!! Then I got yelled at for skiing them because D-O wanted us to slip them first :evil: Any ways Met up with our group which was about 9 skiers from all over the country.. Strong skiers but mostly beginners on the bumps. D-O had us do a few groomer runs to evaluate are abilities then we started to do a bunch of drills. The drills were pretty much for hand position, pole planting, and getting forward (shin pressure) havent we all heard that before!!

He Immediately picked up on my poor pole planting and gave me a few drills to work on (reaching ahead with a controlled rythem reaching for the backside of the bump) He told me If thats all I accomplish this week it would be huge for my skiing!

There were 3 lines for us to ski. The top line....a new top line that was just built last night with the cat, and the middle ($$$$$$$ line)!!!! We all slipped the new line once it softened up and we just trashed it!!!! Soft perfectly symetrical bump goodness!!! I was skiing pretty good and fast down the fall line, but he told me to slow down and work on getting more forward, and better pole planting. My new morning drill will be skiing on the balls of my feet, while doing reaching pole plants.

Then came the air drills which was pretty mellow..The emphasis was on getting forward and popping off the lip, and doing a 4 point landing which was pretty easy Did a few spreads, and may try some copters later in the week (dont want to break anything on day 1!!!) Anyways today was an awesome day and D-O is a certified animal ripper!! Found out that he coached Patrick deneen for a bunch of years!! Anyways gonna have a few brews and call it a night. Im uberstoked to get back out there!!

powhunter-albums-lob-picture338-31-4.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture337-31-3.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture335-31-1.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture336-31-2.jpg

Will try to get some action shots tomorrow!!

Lotta Deadheads up here too!!!! :cool:

Steveo

deadheadskier

Staff member
right on Steve-O....my effin' hero.

Hey, on skiers right in that one photo it looks like a 'trail/river' snow heading further down the hill. Is that skiable? Is there a lift right there in the field bringing you to the top of the zipper?

How long is the run / how much vert?

lots of questions as I've never known anyone to head out summer skiing at Hood.

Weir everywhere! :beer:

drjeff

Everyone who is a ski addict owes themselves atleast 1 hood summer trip in their lifetime. Just a really cool place and some really good summer terrain to boot!

powhunter

right on Steve-O....my effin' hero.

Hey, on skiers right in that one photo it looks like a 'trail/river' snow heading further down the hill. Is that skiable? Is there a lift right there in the field bringing you to the top of the zipper?

There is the main lift from the timberline lodge that ya take , then ya get off and have to walk thru some volcanic ash/mars terrain for about 50 yards. The second lift follows the mogul lanes to the top.

How long is the run / how much vert?

That patch of snow is about a half mile long....The vert?? Pretty steep at the top and a little less steep at the bottom ;-)

lots of questions as I've never known anyone to head out summer skiing at Hood.

Weir everywhere! :beer:

:beer:

snoseek

It looks incredible there! I want to go right now!

Greg

Staff member
Nice work getting after it Grampa Pow!

powhunter

Today was another incredible day "In The Hood" Started out doing more groomer drills. Lifting our uphill ski while making our turns....More hand position drills..Drills...Drills...Drills!! Makes Total sense to be able to do these things on the flats before you transition them into the bump lines!!!! After the drills we viewed ourselves on video from the previous day..And D-O critiqued us...My pole planting is getting better, as is getting more forward...After that we started to ski the zipper lines...These lines are EFFIN sweet!!!!! He wanted us to apply what we did in the drills into the bumps...while we were skiing he would yell out what we were doing wrong....Hit the kicker a few more times..gonna break out the 360 tomorrow or thursday...Total bluebird day after 12!!! He let us just lap the bumps the rest of the afternoon...I did about 9 runs before I stared to feel it in my legs and called it quits..Didnt have time to snap any pics but will get some tomorrow. Also we have a video dude thats gonna give us a copy of our runs before we leave!!! Stopped at this Hippy expresso bar to score an ice coffee and was also turned on to some off the oregon blueberry harvest :spin: :spin: :spin: Yee Haw!!!

Pow

powhunter

I love being hated!!!! :cool:

Ok Today started out with some more groomer drills...He had us doing short radius turns and as we completed each turn we thrust our hips forward (This simulated extension in the bumps) The next drill was sticking your poles out at a 90 degree angle..and sticking the grips into your stomach...Short radius turns down the fall line while keeping your upper body square to the fall line...This drill let the coaches see if in fact we were skiing the fall line and how quiet the poles were (quiet upper body) He told me my pole planting was 100% better which Im real happy about.

After a video review of the last day...We started ripping!! Today was another (ahem) Bluebird day that ya dream about!! Bumps were perfect!! We started to ski in another line , so now we have the top line which is getting nice and DEEP!!!! To the right of that is the new $$$$$$ Line !! And the bottom line reminds me of the bottom part of Gunbarrel at Sundown where ya just let er rip!!!!

Anyways I have a lot of bad habits I need to correct..and D-O told me the only way to correct them is to get it right on the groomers...so I really dont hate groomers anymore ;-)

This week has been effin Fantastic so far!!!!!

Steveo

powhunter-albums-lob-picture342-money-line.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture339-9-1.jpg

Grassi21

I love being hated!!!! :cool:

Ok Today started out with some more groomer drills...He had us doing short radius turns and as we completed each turn we thrust our hips forward (This simulated extension in the bumps) The next drill was sticking your poles out at a 90 degree angle..and sticking the grips into your stomach...Short radius turns down the fall line while keeping your upper body square to the fall line...This drill let the coaches see if in fact we were skiing the fall line and how quiet the poles were (quiet upper body) He told me my pole planting was 100% better which Im real happy about.

After a video review of the last day...We started ripping!! Today was another (ahem) Bluebird day that ya dream about!! Bumps were perfect!! We started to ski in another line , so now we have the top line which is getting nice and DEEP!!!! To the right of that is the new $$$$$$ Line !! And the bottom line reminds me of the bottom part of Gunbarrel at Sundown where ya just let er rip!!!!

Anyways I have a lot of bad habits I need to correct..and D-O told me the only way to correct them is to get it right on the groomers...so I really dont hate groomers anymore ;-)

This week has been effin Fantastic so far!!!!!

Steveo

powhunter-albums-lob-picture342-money-line.jpg

powhunter-albums-lob-picture339-9-1.jpg

great updates steve o. i will be tailing you on the groomers this season.

awesome summertime stoke!!! I'd hit dat??? Are the bunps only available for the clinic or are they open to the public?