• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs and Jay: December 9-11

skibum1321

I started out the weekend at Smuggs on Friday. I wasn't expecting much from the storm but about 6" dropped. Overall it was a pretty lame day with only 2 trails open and little base on the closed trails. I went back on Saturday and found that they had opened a couple of the trails that looked poachable the day before. However there is no way these trails should have been open. There was enough snow for maybe 5 skiers before it was down to dirt again. I would say that Smuggs needs about 2 feet of snow before they'll be able to open much up.

Sunday I went to Jay. There was a whole lot more snow up there, but the open terrain choices were uninteresting for the most part. We skied over at the Jet for a while and there were some good bumps on Haynes and the Jet. We also went into the Timbuktu woods, where the cover was really thin and the glades were skied out. We went back over Tramside for a few more runs mid-afternoon. Near the end of the day we ducked a rope and went over to Beaver Pond Glades. They were sweet with really nice snow and good cover. Definitely the best run all weekend. Overall I would say that with a couple more feet of snow Jay will be in really good shape.