• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PX 12 Jib

Madroch

Quick question that I should have asked before purchasing-- I assume I can mount the PX 12 Jib binding flat without the 3mm absorption pad? If not, back to the drawing board.

bvibert

Staff member
Yes, but they'll need shorter screws, or need to shorten the ones that come with it. A word of caution; if they don't shorten the screws enough then they'll dimple the base of the skis when they install the bindings. Ask my wife how we know this... :angry:

mondeo

Why not use the absorption pad? I'll always champion flat mounting bindings for bump skis, but 3mm isn't that much, plus you get some shock absorption out of it, and it probably reduces the severity of the massive dead spot the PX12s make.

powbmps

For some reason it can be a pain in the ass to find the shorter screws. Dremel with a cutting wheel works great. Hold the screw with pliers and cut off ~3mm.

powbmps

As far as mogul skiing goes, "they" say that the binding should be flat on the ski. I cut all my screws and took out the lift on all my bindings (Look PX14, Rossi Axial 120, Look Pivot12) before last season. It was like night and day.

Okay, that's not true......I really couldn't tell the difference :-?.

Madroch

As far as mogul skiing goes, "they" say that the binding should be flat on the ski. I cut all my screws and took out the lift on all my bindings (Look PX14, Rossi Axial 120, Look Pivot12) before last season. It was like night and day.

Okay, that's not true......I really couldn't tell the difference :-?.

If you really can't tell the difference, I won't be able to.... hadn't considered Mondeo's dead spot issue, but again, that may be something only noticeable to the zipperline rippers and not me...I will need to ponder more...

bvibert

Staff member
If it were me I'd probably try them with the absorption pad in place. If you decide you don't like it then you can always take it out later.

Madroch

If it were me I'd probably try them with the absorption pad in place. If you decide you don't like it then you can always take it out later.

Does it make any difference as to which I try first???-- try without (shorter screw holes) and than maybe with later-- or with (longer screw holes) and then take them out? Again, my guess is I will be happy with whichever... prolly will just mount them as is as you suggest and go from there...

Now, once I start zipperlining about Feb I may need to revisit...

Hawkshot99

Does it make any difference as to which I try first???-- try without (shorter screw holes) and than maybe with later-- or with (longer screw holes) and then take them out?

If you tried it without first, and then switched to with, the screws would have less thread to dig in with.(that is if you cut them of course)

Madroch

Congrats on your new bump ski purchase!!!!

Skis this year-- summer bump camp next year (as if I will need it after the skis fix everything)!!!! Enjoy-- very jealous reading the TR's....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If you tried it without first, and then switched to with, the screws would have less thread to dig in with.(that is if you cut them of course)

Exactly. If you're not entirely sure, try with first. And then if you decide to ditch the absorption pad, make sure you take them to a good shop if you're not a DIY expert. The shop I took my bindings to to have flat-mounted on my Line Celebrities (bindings that came with the lifter so required screw-shortening) dimpled one of my skis--didn't fix it!--and then tried to pass it off as nothing. :angry: