• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where the White Women At?

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://forums.alpinezone.com/61759-forty-one-percent-skiers-female.html

this thread got me thinking........why are there so few women on not just this forum, but ski forums in general. Severine and Trekchick are regular contributors, Mogul Queen and SkiDiva pop in now and again, MRGisevil is sorely missed.

If 41% of skiers are women, where are they on the ole skiing intrawebs???

It's really not as simple as, chicks don't dig message boards. I'm a regular on the www.gatheringofthevibes.com message board. It's essentially a board of jamband / grateful dead type music fans. I've met countless people over the years through there to party with at music festivals or pre/post game celebration at concerts. At least once a month I'm hanging with friends I've met on there catching music somewhere. It is a very busy place, the traffic is easily ten times that of alpinezone.

The split of male to female on the gatheringofthevibes board is pretty much 50-50. Out of the top 30 posters; all with over 2000 posts in less than a years time as the board was reset last fall, 15 are men, 15 are women.

Why is that not the case here on alpinezone? If not 50-50, why do you suppose it's not at least 60-40 as opposed to the 97-3 that it is. Women clearly spend a lot of time on social sites on the net, perhaps even more so than men.

Greater female involvement here would be much welcomed.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
633714593689506060-whitewomen.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
EXACTLY!

I'd even settle for a few orientals or is it asian these days? Never been good at the PC thing :lol:

all the other ski sites I have been on have been very much sausage fests.

www.uvm.edu/skivt-l
www.epicski.com
www.tetongravity.com

even paulas skilovers..hosted by a woman..www.skilovers.com is predominantly male..www.paskiandride.com is as well..

It's because despite the 60/40 stats Male to female ratio in another thread..that number is so hard to believe. Among children I feel that it's pretty even and even teenagers fairly close but there just aren't alot of women out there with the desire to ski for themselves. Yes alot of women are out there going with their diehard boyfriend/husband/Dad but not many on their own..and yes some die hard women skiers got their husbands and boyfriends into it but it's usually the other way around. I sometimes wished I was into Yoga or Figure skating in order to have a better chance at meeting that special someone but I just love the thrill of skiing so much skiing as fast as I can either by wax or a lower tuck and posting about skiing every chance I get.

I really don't think women post on message boards as much...at least the ones I go on but that's a bad example since I enjoy skiing, poker and marijuana..lol..

EXACTLY!

I'd even settle for a few orientals or is it asian these days? Never been good at the PC thing :lol:

if you like fat Puerto Rican women..come to Allentown..screw being PC it's all about speaking your mind..lol..I learned alot in my cultural diversity classes at UVM..bahahaha

deadheadskier

Staff member
if you like fat Puerto Rican women..come to Allentown..screw being PC it's all about speaking your mind..lol..I learned alot in my cultural diversity classes at UVM..bahahaha

I remember that class. It was required back then (all of ten years ago) because UVM was/is the whitest university in the whitest state of the country.

UVM was also the first school to offer transgendered toilets though and VT is a leader in the gay rights movement. Odd that the least diverse state in the union pushes for diversity acceptance more than anywhere else in the country, which is a GREAT thing in my book, something I miss about living in VT.

truthfully, I am quite PC; typically go out of my way to not offend someone and I'm also one of the first people to stand up to others bullying. probably why I'm a MOD :spin:

I remember that class. It was required back then (all of ten years ago) because UVM was/is the whitest university in the whitest state of the country.

UVM was also the first school to offer transgendered toilets though and VT is a leader in the gay rights movement. Odd that the least diverse state in the union pushes for diversity acceptance more than anywhere else in the country, which is a GREAT thing in my book, something I miss about living in VT.

truthfully, I am quite PC; typically go out of my way to not offend someone and I'm also one of the first people to stand up to others bullying. probably why I'm a MOD :spin:

Yeah UVM isn't so white anymore according to the Vermont quarterly..apparently they even have a soul food day where kids can trade in Ben and Jerrys and New World Tortilla for Collared Greens..fwiw..for what it's worth..collared greens are da bomb deezy..I also took a Latino Literature class at UVM and got an A-...

I'm not rascist..as you have no control of what your race or ethnicity is..douchbags come in all colors.

If I wasn't having technical difficultys I might post up a rap..entitled where the white women at..but I won;t

MogulQueen

http://forums.alpinezone.com/61759-forty-one-percent-skiers-female.html

this thread got me thinking........why are there so few women on not just this forum, but ski forums in general. Severine and Trekchick are regular contributors, Mogul Queen and SkiDiva pop in now and again, MRGisevil is sorely missed.

If 41% of skiers are women, where are they on the ole skiing intrawebs???

It's really not as simple as, chicks don't dig message boards. I'm a regular on the www.gatheringofthevibes.com message board. It's essentially a board of jamband / grateful dead type music fans. I've met countless people over the years through there to party with at music festivals or pre/post game celebration at concerts. At least once a month I'm hanging with friends I've met on there catching music somewhere. It is a very busy place, the traffic is easily ten times that of alpinezone.

The split of male to female on the gatheringofthevibes board is pretty much 50-50. Out of the top 30 posters; all with over 2000 posts in less than a years time as the board was reset last fall, 15 are men, 15 are women.

Why is that not the case here on alpinezone? If not 50-50, why do you suppose it's not at least 60-40 as opposed to the 97-3 that it is. Women clearly spend a lot of time on social sites on the net, perhaps even more so than men.

Greater female involvement here would be much welcomed.

In order to support our ski habit, we must work during the day. ;-) Wish I had the time to chat on these forums. It is a luxury when I do find the time to check out what you all have to say, but most of the time it is to check in and see the big topic of the day. Anyway, thankfully this forum exists for me to escape to once in a while because I HATE facebook and most of the time these posts give me a good laugh!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's not that women don't post in forums... I could show you a large variety of them on parenting, natural parenting, natural living, fertility, infertility, designer purse, shoe, and clothing forums. There's just something about sports that doesn't seem to attract many women to discuss them in a forum format. Even with theskidiva.com being out there as a safe haven for women who love the sport, they don't see the numbers that AZ does. Maybe we're more about doing and less about discussing the minutiae of it? At least, women as a species. Clearly Trekchick and I are of some other stuff that we hang around here and put up with you louts....

Then again, it could be your propensity to post pictures of women who are partially to totally nude and salivate over them. (Straight) women tend not to gravitate toward that sort of thing...

In order to support our ski habit, we must work during the day. ;-) Wish I had the time to chat on these forums. It is a luxury when I do find the time to check out what you all have to say, but most of the time it is to check in and see the big topic of the day. Anyway, thankfully this forum exists for me to escape to once in a while because I HATE facebook and most of the time these posts give me a good laugh!

29 posts in 6 months..wow...I have more than that in 6 minutes..lol....but anyway I look forward to your reports this season..where do you usually ski? I heart facebook..one of the few sites I visit everytime I log on the net(every chance I get)...even when I wake up during the night to go to the bathroom

mondeo

29 posts in 6 months..wow...I have more than that in 6 minutes..lol....but anyway I look forward to your reports this season..where do you usually ski? I heart facebook..one of the few sites I visit everytime I log on the net(every chance I get)...even when I wake up during the night to go to the bathroom
And yet she's contributed more substance to the board than you have...

um.....gss scared 'em away? :wink:

seriously there all over at skidiva

they've never been here..most of the men on here are married or have girlfriends anyway..I sort of feel like more women makes this place a little too civilized which would make this place less fun..I enjoy the poop and dirty underwear threads along with the taint--ed threads...I do miss Snowman, Ski9 and DMC.

faceplant

they've never been here..most of the men on here are married or have girlfriends anyway..I sort of feel like more women makes this place a little too civilized which would make this place less fun..I enjoy the poop and dirty underwear threads along with the taint--ed threads...I do miss Snowman, Ski9 and DMC.

and wheres thinman & tinwoodman been to? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFYEmhkfIc

MogulQueen

Easy tiger. I post when I feel there is post worthyness. As far as facebook goes...boring! I don't need to know what everyone is doing every minute of the day. Who has time for that? What the heck do people do all day? If I am not working, I'm outside playing!

mondeo

and wheres thinman & tinwoodman been to? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFYEmhkfIc

:idea:

Over in the Killington thread?
Wait - so you're telling me that snowmaking is more efficient during colder weather? You don't say! Any more discoveries you can lay on us?

Also, rather than the avg temp for Rutland in all of October, wouldn't it be slightly more relevant to find out what the average temperature is 3000' higher on the hill during the last two weeks of October? No one is skiing in Rutland, and an early October opening is unlikely in all but the coldest of early seasons., so that's a much more useful barometer.

Regardless, you are completely ignoring the marketing value of being able to crow about the longest season in the East year after year. That's what drives enthusiasm for both season ticket sales as well as weekenders/daytrippers from Nov 15 through X-Mas. If K has been open since October 20, and they have a rep for covering the hill with snow at every chance, I'm likely picking that place to spend my limited skiing dollars if I'm not committed to one mountain.