• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nass RAW - 9/4/09

bvibert

Staff member
Met up with Woodcore around 5 for a ride (RAW for those suckers who had to work today. ;) ). I had an ambitious route in mind, but we were a bit too slow to manage the whole thing.

I had planned on boy scout bridge to cemetery twisties to fat kid to cornwall DH to 69er out cemetery to jug to hinman to johnnycake climb to orchard DH to little tykes (also called sandy pelican I've learned) to scoville twisties back. We ended up skipping hinman, jc, orchard, and little tykes and just rode jug-a-lug to the scoville twisties and out the woodcore bypass. We finished right around 7:15, just beating the darkness. A very nice 2 hour ride.

Things of note for me, first the good.. Finally cleared the cemetery all the way through and the stupid log on the fat kid climb. On the 69er I made it down and back up that big gully early on. I usually dab coming around the corner leading down into it and then never manage to make it over those tree roots as you're going along the other side. I also cleared a bunch of other sections that I rarely or never clear. Pretty psyched that some stuff seemed to be coming together. However, I also had my share of issues tonight, starting with the one damn section on the fat kid climb. I tried the route up and over the rock to the right, but didn't have quite enough to make it. To make matters worse I couldn't get my left foot un-clipped in time and fell over right on all the near-by rocks. Then Woodcore came up right behind me and tried to go around, but got caught up too. As if the physical bumps and bruises weren't enough right behind him was another rider I didn't even know was there, who proceeded to further bruise me ego by riding right by and out of sight like it wasn't anything, as I was still lying there on the ground. After that I many stupid screw ups, even in sections that normally don't give me any trouble. All of the technical-esque descents I almost bit it on and had to stop to regroup, I dabbed a ton of times on 69er, all on stupid stuff. Seems like I fell at least one other time, but I can't remember, I'm certainly beat up enough to have fallen several times. I almost rode off the bridge on the 69er and the skinny bridge on Jug, not to mention the second a-frame on jug-a-lug where I almost ended up in the woods. It seemed like I was either on or off tonight, no middle ground. But it was still a really great ride, I'm definitely not complaining, just critiquing myself. ;)

The ride, chit chat, and post ride brew was pleasure as always Woodcore!

o3jeff

So if I am reading this correctly, you fell going up the fat kid climb, then woodcore who was right behind you fell on you trying to go around you and then some other dude came riding up past the both of you laying on the trail together? If I saw you two laying together on the trail I think I could probably make up that climb without stepping out and in record time just to get away.

Glad to see you guys are still getting in some RAW's.

WoodCore

Another great ride with Brian tonight in the forbidden forest. Although Brian is somewhat critical about parts of his ride last night I'll also mention how frickin fast he was riding through the Cemetery and Scoville twisties. I pushed with everything I had just to keep him in my sights! Also kudos for clearing the back of the Cemetery and the big log on the FKC, nicely done Brian.

I was pumped to (with the exception of a pedal stroke) ride the entire 69'er clean and also to roll the two rocky sections of the Cornwall DH with confidence for a change. Regardless, as always weather I'm riding good or not, a pleasure to be out in the woods on the bike on such a beautiful evening.

The loop came in at 7.85 miles with 1135 feet of climbing. Not to shabby considering the casual pace of the ride. The trails themselves are in amazing condition right now, perhaps the best shape of the year so far. Everything is dry, firm and rolling awesome. Even areas that have been perpetual mud holes are starting to dry up and become ridable!

Did run into a young hessian on his MX'er at the bottom of the FKC. I didn't say anything to him but rather gave him a nasty glare after he waved at me. Hopefully he has a run in with the DEP in the near future.

Anyway, great riding with you again Brian, a pleasure as always.

bvibert

Staff member
So if I am reading this correctly, you fell going up the fat kid climb, then woodcore who was right behind you fell on you trying to go around you and then some other dude came riding up past the both of you laying on the trail together? If I saw you two laying together on the trail I think I could probably make up that climb without stepping out and in record time just to get away.

No, Woodcore managed not to fall, but he did need to stop.