• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

midatlantic

steelpot

Hi all-

I just moved to Philadelphia from the southeast. I'm trying to figure out what some of the more popular areas in southern NY, NJ, and eastern PA. I realize this is the northeast hiking & backpacking area, but I'm also unaware of any similar board for closer to where I live. (I'm assuming most people on here are in VT, NH, ME, MA, etc.) Also, weather in the area isn't too much of a problem -- I grew up around alpine zones in South America, have done a winter Presi Traverse, and so on. Just haven't heard too much about where to go in this area yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: if you could let me know of good 1-, 2-, and 3-night trips, that'd be great. Thanks again.

SKIQUATTRO

I went to college just outside Philly (Villanova) we used to head to Camelback, Jack Frost, Big Boulder in PA, Mountain Creek in NJ...Bellayre, Plattekill, Hunter, Windham in NY..you are just too far south for any 'good' day trips north..your VT upstate NY trips will have to be weekends

Mike P.

Check the Link section here for Peak to Peak for links in NJ & PA. From what I know of the area:

Harriman State Park in NY, bear Mt. the AT goes through it

The AT in NJ, High Point the NJ High point is on the AT. Camping requires proper food storage as this area has bears.

Another area in NJ is the Pine Barrens. This may be a National Recreation Area.

Deleware Water Gap,
Pocono's
A Bit further is Catskills
How far is western MD & the AT in PA? I've been to Mt. Davis, the PA Highpoint & it looked like some trails around, that is closer to Pittsburgh though.