• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GSS Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjf67

+ 1. We discussed this decision at length. We applied the same criteria we apply to any other person that is acting inappropriately. Of the four mods and admins who are here on a regular basis, the decision was unanimous. Contrary to urban legend, this is not something that we take lightly or that we that we enjoy doing.

BS

tjf67

I support the decision. Irregardless of whether people agree with 'the final straw', what needs to be understood is that the amount of complaints submitted to the moderating team from other members concerning GSS was more than double every other member combined. Even though I've only been a moderator for a couple of months, all complaints are logged and the amount over his time here is staggering. This ultimately is the reasoning and as Greg has mentioned, he was given much more slack and many more chances than others banned prior to him.

of course you do you drank the cool aide. HAHA

His post were more and quadrouple everyone else so you should espect more complaint.

Geoff

I'm not opposed to temporary bans but when we proposed it, it was met with a fair amount of opposition. Less than 50% of the members supported it, and usually I won't make a policy change unless a clear majority supports it. We'll likely revisit the idea at some point.

You kind of have to let him back in leading up to his first ski day of the year and the follow-up trip report with the video. I suggest that you lift the ban the day the snow guns get turned on.

I wonder how hard it would be to implement a "Delete offensive GSS post" button all the users can press? We can all be GSS mods. 99% of his stuff is just fine.

MR. evil

Pretty lame that you post this Tim. I think you know Brian and me at least pretty well. Neither of us or any other mods have tried to stifle opinions and have never banned anyone for differing opinions.

This wasn't a shot at you or Brian! Sorry you took it that way. But some of the other mods here have been a little heavy handed lately and I know several people currently not posting on AZ becuase of them.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
You just don't fuck with 9/11 at any level.
I agree.

+ 1. We discussed this decision at length. We applied the same criteria we apply to any other person that is acting inappropriately. Of the four mods and admins who are here on a regular basis, the decision was unanimous. Contrary to urban legend, this is not something that we take lightly or that we that we enjoy doing.

Ok.

One thing.... you can't deny his passion for skiing. In that, he's very much like me. I got hooked as a little kid and never lost it. He's the same way.
He really does eat/sleep/breathe skiing.

Permanent.
I'm not opposed to temporary bans but when we proposed it, it was met with a fair amount of opposition. Less than 50% of the members supported it, and usually I won't make a policy change unless a clear majority supports it. We'll likely revisit the idea at some point.
I'd support a temp ban. I for one would probably be too embarrassed to post back for a while anyway...

I wonder how hard it would be to implement a "Delete offensive GSS post" button all the users can press? We can all be GSS mods. 99% of his stuff is just fine.

Interesting concept. On another message board I use that also runs vBulletin they use a "reputation" feature, where quality posts awarded "points" and dumb ass posts you lose "points". Other then that, it doesn't do really anything.

It's been a long off season....

bvibert

Staff member

MR. evil

I got yer back, Helmet...

Obviously it would've been best for Doug to not throw his 2 cents in considering his history, however, it was his idiom to do so. Doug knew he was on a slippery slope by trying to make a somewhat veiled political comment in an obviously politically charged thread. Granted his tact was horrid and how he said what he said was in poor taste. However, I have to agree with the overall sentiment. It's a sad time for the United States when we've become so complacent that waving a $0.10 flag and saying "Never Forget" once a year is all it takes to be considered patriotic. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy that changed our way of life dramatically. The United States' response to it was almost as abhorrent, from the pols to the general public. Many of the main conspiritors and financial backers of said conspiritors are still at large, meanwhile we've further de-stabilized an already unstable region and sunk into debt that our great-great-great grandchildren will still be mired with.
Sorry, but it just grinds my gears watching people suddenly remember to be "patriotic" on an anniversary, but go back to turning a blind-eye and following the herd the other 364 days a year.

AMF

I demand that Paul be permanently banned for this obviously un-patriotic left wing liberal post.

wa-loaf

You just don't fuck with 9/11 at any level.

My objections to GSS's post were due to the stories of personal loss and survival on that thread. Not a blind "don't f with 911" faux patriotism.

Paul said:
Forget" once a year is all it takes to be considered patriotic. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy that changed our way of life dramatically. The United States' response to it was almost as abhorrent, from the pols to the general public. Many of the main conspiritors and financial backers of said conspiritors are still at large, meanwhile we've further de-stabilized an already unstable region and sunk into debt that our great-great-great grandchildren will still be mired with.
Sorry, but it just grinds my gears watching people suddenly remember to be "patriotic" on an anniversary, but go back to turning a blind-eye and following the herd the other 364 days a year.

This.

I would support a temp ban for GSS.

MR. evil

I would support a temp ban for GSS.

I agree!

I still fail to see what published forum rule he broke in that thread to get banned. I don't see a rule about being stupid or insentitive.

mondeo

Good riddance. The guy has zero class. If you want that type of interesting, go to TGR. Good-humored flame wars, interesting skiing discussions, heated discussions, all good. Pissing matches have no place here, and that's all he was good at. +90% of what he posted was just noise, more irritating than spam.

His bitch-fests with Jerry and Phil were what started the downward spiral of negativity this summer, so far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.