• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GSS Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlctvt

This would be one of the reasons why I gave up on this place.

Greg, your mods are out of control. PMing people warnings because they disagree with them? Really? This isn't solely about what happened with GSS, he's just the most obvious case. The fact that it's not OK to disagree with a mod's opinion, or the 'popular' opinion, is ridiculous, and stupid. Moderators should not be warning people for having a difference of opinion. People should not be banned for having a difference of opinion. If 9/11 is such a sore and sensitive subject that a large group of people would be offended by comments made about [it], the subject shouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

It's funny, reading all this. When I went to the mods a long time ago about what I believed to be blatant sexism I was told it was "tongue in cheek" and therefore they weren't going to do anything about it. However, everything GSS says is "tongue in cheek," yet his ban was "a long time coming"? So, kindly explain to me why sexism as "tongue in cheek" is acceptable when GSS's comments as "tongue in cheek" are not. The message that that sends me as a poster is that you [moderators] only care about people's concerns when you [moderators] can personally relate to them. Oh- and if you're all still wondering why this place is "such a sausage fest,"- there's your answer.

I liked this place better without all the bullshit and pretense.

Later AZ.

+1, well said..

mondeo

Posting PhilPug's PM, all over flame war with OSME, insulting Jerry for trying to be a better person, some other stuff that I won't bring up again...

He's been pushing the boundaries of trolling for a long time. I can take the political views, but his post today was a slap in the face to Dork, DHS, and Marc as a firefighter, along with others who haven't posted their personal connections to the attacks. And he did to watch what happened, for his own entertainment, without regard for how others would take it. I don't think it's necessarily the worst he's done, but I can see it being the final straw.

mlctvt

He's been pushing the boundaries of trolling for a long time. I can take the political views, but his post today was a slap in the face to Dork, DHS, and Marc as a firefighter, along with others who haven't posted their personal connections to the attacks. And he did to watch what happened, for his own entertainment, without regard for how others would take it. I don't think it's necessarily the worst he's done, but I can see it being the final straw.

I'm sorry but I just don't see it that way at all. To me he made a fast political comment without thinking too much about it. I don't think he insulted anyone. Yes, it would have been better placed elsewhere but give me a break..

It was typical of his posts, quick wry replies.

Last edited:

ERJ-145CA

Posting PhilPug's PM, all over flame war with OSME, insulting Jerry for trying to be a better person, some other stuff that I won't bring up again...

So you're saying that if you don't support the war in Iraq then that's a slap in the face of firefighters? I'm a pilot, I saw the smoke from the tower from the air, it affected my life and my livelihood directly and I didn't take his comment as a slap in the face. I saw it as a quick statement of what he felt about the war in Iraq, it wasn't in support of terrorists. I didn't think of it as trolling. He can't help it if his governor is slow to react.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
if an exception is made where will it end??
Funny you should say that... not to play devil's advocate but that was one thing we were discussing in the American Revolution this week. Not only Parliament's views that if they backed down on the Stamp Act, where would it end with us unruly Americans...but also in the Americans allowing this tax to go through without standing up and letting it be known that they were not going to tolerate it. Give an inch...they take a yard.

How is a rememberence of the deaths of thousands of people political? I agree that people get political about it, but things like Dork's story and DHS's post aren't political at all. Being a Northeast forum, with a good number of people living or working in the NYC area, there are bound to be profound human and social impacts of that type of event. If I start a Pearl Harbor post on 12/7, should it be shutdown for being political?
Completely agree. Political would be bashing/promoting particular politicians or parties, their direct actions/statements, etc. Remembering the deaths and the sacrifices made... not political.

Is he being banned for this one comment? That's just rediculas. I thought it was a little out of line, but I viewed it as a political comment on the stupidity of the average American.
I'm sure that what he was thinking when he posted that too. I'ver seen many threads on this board I considered much worse.

I'm considering my own ban of Alpinezone....

I'm sorry but I just don't see it that way at all. To me he made a fast political comment without thinking too much about it. I don't think he insulted anyone. Yes, it would have been better placed elsewhere but give me a break..

It was typical of his posts, quick wry replies.
There is an accumulation of events over the last couple of years, not all of which you may have seen due to some moderation of threads where these occurred. It was not a one strike and you're out... more like 200 strikes...

ccskier

Is he being banned for this one comment? That's just rediculas. I thought it was a little out of line, but I viewed it as a political comment on the stupidity of the average American.
I'm sure that what he was thinking when he posted that too. I'ver seen many threads on this board I considered much worse.

I'm considering my own ban of Alpinezone....

Same here. Just seems like the same old bitching and moaning, etc... It must be a Doug thing. GSS and DMC brough views/humor (maybe tasteles,, etc..) to the table, this place will be boring with out them. I actually looked forward to GSS comments, vlogs, etc... part of the reason I come on here is to see what he has to say next. I barely contribute in fear of being rediculed for posting a belief or a trip report, etc... Not pointing fingers, etc... but I have noticed the "mod" power trip also and it is too bad. Oh well, just the internet.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Dude, if the mods here were power hungry, he would have been banned over a year ago.... Think about it. He has been given more than enough opportunities to hang himself, and has over and over and over again.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Trolling: Any message deemed a "troll" post made only to instigate debate or conflict will be permanently deleted. Chronic offenders of this policy will be warned one time. If the behavior continues, the member may be banned.

Isn't instigating debate or conflict the entire point of an internet forum?

Perhaps the only reason GSS had more complaints than other posters is because he posts so often?

I do think the mods on this site take their "jobs" too seriously....seems even more so lately.

Plus...a defense to defamation is that the original statement was true. In this regard.......what did the war in Iraq have.... well I better not go there for fear of retribution.

mlctvt

Same here. Just seems like the same old bitching and moaning, etc... It must be a Doug thing. GSS and DMC brough views/humor (maybe tasteles,, etc..) to the table, this place will be boring with out them. I actually looked forward to GSS comments, vlogs, etc... part of the reason I come on here is to see what he has to say next. I barely contribute in fear of being rediculed for posting a belief or a trip report, etc... Not pointing fingers, etc... but I have noticed the "mod" power trip also and it is too bad. Oh well, just the internet.

Bingo, me too. I guess I'm caching up with my normal little to no posting because I'm so pissed. Depending on how this plays out in the next day or so, I'll either stay or never visit this forum again.

mondeo

So you're saying that if you don't support the war in Iraq then that's a slap in the face of firefighters? I'm a pilot, I saw the smoke from the tower from the air, it affected my life and my livelihood directly and I didn't take his comment as a slap in the face. I saw it as a quick statement of what he felt about the war in Iraq, it wasn't in support of terrorists. I didn't think of it as trolling. He can't help it if his governor is slow to react.
How would you take this:

"My wife was murdered 8 years ago today."

"Well aren't you glad the idiot jerks convicted the wrong guy and put him to death?"

That's sorta how I read it. It was just a flat out inappropriate place to make the comment, the thread was pretty pure in purpose up to that point. Others making opposite-leaning comments in the thread I would've seen as equally inappropriate.

There are other members (myself included) that get much more political than GSS ever did, on both sides of the fence. If the mods were that quick to ban on political grounds for statements they in that vein, DMC wouldn't have gotten a chance for self-banishment, he would've been gone before I had even joined. Probably 10% of the people on the board would be gone for politics before GSS, even if you assume only half of the people posting that level of politics would actually be banished (i.e., assume only those Greg disagrees with get booted.)

Last edited:

AtomicSkier

As someone who has had the pleasure of banning GSS on more then one occasion as well as skiing over 200 days with him in the past 4 years, he is 99.9% harmless. I think you're doing this site a disservice by permanently removing him. His passion for skiing is undeniable, and he really likes posting on AZ. I can't tell you how many times he's said to me "make sure you post that on AZ as well". For those of you that have skied with him can attest (well, besides mondeo maybe, he's got something against GSS apparently) that is is genuinely a nice guy, and will make you laugh constantly. I haven't seen his 9/11 comments, but I can only imagine. When he says something stupid on PASR, we just delete it. Why ban people? Isn't it just easier to delete 1% of his posts and enjoy the other 99%? I hope the administrators here do consider letting him back once the season starts back up.

highpeaksdrifter

I just finished reading the threads involved. I've never been a GSS fan. I never thought he posted much worth reading. I thought that pretty much everything he posted was an attempt to bring attention to himself.

I think he intentionally made a statement that he knew would be considered in bad taste just to get negative attention aimed at himself, to change the thread and make it about him. I believe he didn’t realize how far over the line he was stepping. When everyone came down on him hard he tried to pull back with an apology.

I won’t miss him, but IMO he shouldn’t have been banned.

BTW-these threads are his wet dream, he's loving reading what people think about him.

It's also been mentioned in these threads that the mods are over-moderating lately and I have to say I agree.

wa-loaf

Dude, if the mods here were power hungry, he would have been banned over a year ago.... Think about it. He has been given more than enough opportunities to hang himself, and has over and over and over again.

He also has driven a lot of traffic to AZ. He makes the place look busy. A lot of the PASKiers are here because of GSS. That's whats kept him safe and will likely bring him back after everyone cools off.

tcharron

I whole hartedly disagree with this. IMO his comments were not Worth getting banned, you guys were just looking for an excuse to ban him. This site is already boring enough latly, this decision will make it even more so.

I wonder how long it will take for me to get a warning for disagreeing with the mods?

+1. I thought they where class asshole remarks. But for christs sake. He expressed an ahole opinion. He didn't put it out there as fact, or call anyone an idiot. Even better, when people CALLED him out as an ahole after the fact, he didn't defend it, he took it.

You guys may have you reasonings for the ban which we don't know. But why aholes who are allowed to repeatedly call OTHER people aholes never seeming to 'cross the line' even when they call a moderator an idiot..

Unban him and set his post count to like 1 or something. Cripes.

mondeo

For those of you that have skied with him can attest (well, besides mondeo maybe, he's got something against GSS apparently) that is is genuinely a nice guy, and will make you laugh constantly.
I actually didn't really have a problem with him until this summer, other than the stoner act that annoys me in general but will deal with. I actually defended him on the hill last year on more than one occasion, on those very grounds. But for whatever reason, the board on the whole has had a very angry mood this summer, and it seems to have affected GSS more than others. A lot more picking fights instead of being stupid, and his rate of completely insensitive comments went up quite a bit. The village idiot act I can deal with, flat out being a world class jerk just for your own entertainment is different.

Dr Skimeister

My opinion, nothing more....

Banned for chronic immaturity and it's accompanying insensitivity.

As much as I have the right to think that the GSS persona is a jerk and to either read or not read what he posts on an internet forum, he has the right to comment on an *open* forum as he sees fit as long as no irreparable harm is done by his comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.