• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GSS Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcharron

This is something we've done countless number of times. How many times are we supposed to say "final warning". Again, folks want consistency yet many others claim we're overmoderating. The truth is we've basically been hands-off during the GSS era. The board is now being moderated at the same level it was pre-GSS.

We've never unbanned. The time-out approach wasn't met with overwhelming enthusiasm. Neither was reputation. Nevertheless, you never know. As much as a poll would be feeding into his desire to get attention, I'm not 100% opposed to it. It's not going to happen today or tomorrow though, believe that.

You're putting him on the same level as Snowman, and this just isn't the case.

deadheadskier

Staff member
[*]The community as a whole rarely knows the real offensive parts of a banned person's issues, because a good mod team deletes quietly and moderates behind the scenes dealing with the situation privately, therefore, we really have no idea what all the individual offensive (s) were in the pile by the time this happened.

This is the most important thing for people to understand.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I gave up trying to profile people I never met when I read interwebz posts. How people express themselves in a face to face can be dramatically different from the person sitting alone, in relative security, typing thoughts generated from an inner voice online. Much like a daily journal, diary, poetry for some people, etc. That's a risk we all take communicating with this media, and there are plenty of times when I type out a post, think about it, and hit the delete button. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of different motivations for posting on boards like these

That being said, I've skied with GSS on a few occasions in PA, and he is harmless and imperfect but is passionate about skiing and revels in the camaraderie it inspires. And his weed is usually pretty decent.
Often, I'll walk away from the computer for a few minutes before posting something, and decide it wasn't worth it. MoeG, I profiled you to the letter. Puff-puff.:) See you at Blue in a little over 2 months. I got 1st round ;) (I'm only kidding on the profiling btw)

This is something we've done countless number of times. How many times are we supposed to say "final warning". Again, folks want consistency yet many others claim we're overmoderating. The truth is we've basically been hands-off during the GSS era. The board is now being moderated at the same level it was pre-GSS.

I hear you. However, does it need a "Final Warning" label? How about "Dude, your post/thread was deleted cause your shit crossed the line again....and no, you can't complain about it either" PM. It sucks being the boss sometimes. I don't envy the responsibilities of running a message board. I like coming here, reading the trip reports, sharing a laugh or two, and learning new things about the sport I love. I'll continue to do so & I look forward to meeting up with some AZ'rs this upcoming season.

I've skied maybe 10-15 days with GSS last season and I'll concur on the sentiments that he's completely harmless but he does lacks an internal filter. Oh yeah, being perpetually baked half the time probably doesn't bode well for what remains of his internal filter either.:blink:. He's a funny guy and I'll ski with him again. It's seems there's a fair amount of members who want to see him go, and stay. Perhaps you could entertain offering it up to a vote as the season approaches.

Out of curiosity, how many people have actually been banned?

deadheadskier

Staff member
But we don't. What we see right now, is an equally knee jerk reaction to someone poking fun at a political conversation.

I can assure you it was not. It may appear that way, but this is completely not the case.

I can also assure you that GSS's 'record' is not going to be made public; mainly to protect the privacy of those who have complained of which there are many.

Banning GSS was something that the moderators tried very hard to avoid for a very long time prior to my involvement. Pretty much from the very beginning. The warnings were countless and he chose to ignore them. He has himself to blame.

Beyond that, I'm not going to defend my part of the decision further. Moving on......

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm going to try to put this as clearly as possible but I have 2 kids who won't stay in bed and are causing a raucous, so forgive me.

a) This is not your board, my board, GSS's board. This is Greg's board with the rules he put forth when you joined. If you don't like the rules, don't participate. Same as any other formal group, there are certain rules everyone is to follow. You don't play by them, you're gone. This is no different.

b) The bulk of the people here do not know the whole story. Neither do I. But there was a lot more going on than a few stupid comments. As I said before, if the moderators here were being even a small % as harsh as they're being accused, he would have been banned well over a year ago.

c) Walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Just because something doesn't offend you doesn't mean everyone else thinks it's peachy-keen. Just because you don't like the way someone does their volunteer-basis moderating job doesn't mean they're wrong. Don't like it? There's the door.... I prefer it to anarchy. Want anarchy? Go to TGR...

d) If y'all are so in love with GSS, why not put in the pot and start a board for him? You guys wanted him to be a mod... now's your chance. Put your money where your mouth is. But this is Alpine Zone, not GSS-zone. Don't ever expect it to become that or to revolve around any one member. Aside from Greg, we're all replaceable here. No board revolves around just one person, nor should it. Those who expect the board to fail without him, you'll be proven wrong. You probably won't be here to see, but that's okay, too. Those who expect it to be a million times better will be wrong, too. There is no better/worse. Just different. It's just one person. There will be others. That's life.

I think I've said my piece. I want it clear that even though I am married to a mod I have no special privileges here. I'm a member just like anyone else. I don't have private knowledge, I don't get to see what's going on with the mods, I don't have any pull. I know there are misconceptions out there--GSS himself sent me a message asking me to have Greg un-ban him. That was all the message said. No apology, no remorse, nothing. Just "Hi Carrie...tell Greg to unban me!!!!".

Give an inch....

Greg

Staff member
Out of curiosity, how many people have actually been banned?

Impossible to know for sure since that group contains spammer and bots, aliases, etc. If I had to guess, probably less than 10 actual members. beswift, RossiSkier, snowman, and now GSS are the most notorious.

Greg

Staff member
Aside from Greg, we're all replaceable here.

That's debatable... :lol:

No board revolves around just one person, nor should it. Those who expect the board to fail without him, you'll be proven wrong. You probably won't be here to see, but that's okay, too. Those who expect it to be a million times better will be wrong, too. There is no better/worse. Just different. It's just one person. There will be others. That's life.

Well said. This forum/community has gone through a lot of changes over the years. This is just another one. GSS has only been a member here for a bit over two years. There's 6+ years of history before that.

mlctvt

I'm going to try to put this as clearly as possible but I have 2 kids who won't stay in bed and are causing a raucous, so forgive me.

a) This is not your board, my board, GSS's board. This is Greg's board with the rules he put forth when you joined. If you don't like the rules, don't participate. Same as any other formal group, there are certain rules everyone is to follow. You don't play by them, you're gone. This is no different.

b) The bulk of the people here do not know the whole story. Neither do I. But there was a lot more going on than a few stupid comments. As I said before, if the moderators here were being even a small % as harsh as they're being accused, he would have been banned well over a year ago.

c) Walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Just because something doesn't offend you doesn't mean everyone else thinks it's peachy-keen. Just because you don't like the way someone does their volunteer-basis moderating job doesn't mean they're wrong. Don't like it? There's the door.... I prefer it to anarchy. Want anarchy? Go to TGR...

d) If y'all are so in love with GSS, why not put in the pot and start a board for him? You guys wanted him to be a mod... now's your chance. Put your money where your mouth is. But this is Alpine Zone, not GSS-zone. Don't ever expect it to become that or to revolve around any one member. Aside from Greg, we're all replaceable here. No board revolves around just one person, nor should it. Those who expect the board to fail without him, you'll be proven wrong. You probably won't be here to see, but that's okay, too. Those who expect it to be a million times better will be wrong, too. There is no better/worse. Just different. It's just one person. There will be others. That's life.

I think I've said my piece. I want it clear that even though I am married to a mod I have no special privileges here. I'm a member just like anyone else. I don't have private knowledge, I don't get to see what's going on with the mods, I don't have any pull. I know there are misconceptions out there--GSS himself sent me a message asking me to have Greg un-ban him. That was all the message said. No apology, no remorse, nothing. Just "Hi Carrie...tell Greg to unban me!!!!".

Give an inch....

Time to moderate the wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.