• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GSS Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjeff

As much as I've thought some of his other close calls to banning we're questionable, this AM's 9-11 rant is definately a time out worthy event IMHO. +1 to the mods!!

Greg

Staff member
Before this thread gets too long with replies and opinions I will chime in and simply state that this has been coming for some time. Doug had many warnings (a lot more than what was given to other members that were banned). His insensitivity towards the anniversary of 9/11 was the final straw. You just don't fuck with 9/11 at any level. I'm usually one of the more easy going mods, but that left me pissed and considering his history, I say good riddance. AZ will be a different place without him, no doubt. I think it will be better.

wa-loaf

Last minute apology not enough eh? Maybe he'll think before he speaks in the future ... err never mind.

Greg

Staff member
Last minute apology not enough eh? Maybe he'll think before he speaks in the future ... err never mind.

Clearly damage control. He's 30 years old. Very little hope for him.

SkiDork

I personally didn't take offense at his comment, I guess I'm used to people making dorky posts on forums by now and I pretty much just ignore them. But its your forum

wa-loaf

Before this thread gets too long with replies and opinions I will chime in and simply state that this has been coming for some time. Doug had many warnings (a lot more than what was given to other members that were banned). His insensitivity towards the anniversary of 9/11 was the final straw. You just don't fuck with 9/11 at any level. I'm usually one of the more easy going mods, but that left me pissed and considering his history, I say good riddance. AZ will be a different place without him, no doubt. I think it will be better.

So this is permanent and not a time-out?

thetrailboss

Staff member

+ 1. We discussed this decision at length. We applied the same criteria we apply to any other person that is acting inappropriately. Of the four mods and admins who are here on a regular basis, the decision was unanimous. Contrary to urban legend, this is not something that we take lightly or that we that we enjoy doing.

Geoff

SkiVT-L version 2.0. On that email list, it was pretty split between people who were entertained by the guy and people who get tired of the endless insensitive trolls. I found the guy entertaining enough to collect a Doogie's Greatest Hits on SkiVT-L. I thought he was funnier as a teenager when it was unintentional.

One thing.... you can't deny his passion for skiing. In that, he's very much like me. I got hooked as a little kid and never lost it. He's the same way.

MR. evil

I whole hartedly disagree with this. IMO his comments were not Worth getting banned, you guys were just looking for an excuse to ban him. This site is already boring enough latly, this decision will make it even more so.

I wonder how long it will take for me to get a warning for disagreeing with the mods?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm no fan of GSS. But, in my opinion, censoring someone's opinion if you don't agree with it is a dangerous thing. There's a 100 others things that he could have been banned for, I believe this to be a mistake.

OldSnowboarderME will refrain from making any comments and so will iwon't .. ( About the banned GrillSteezeSandwich )

Last edited:

Geoff

I'm no fan of GSS. But, in my opinion, censoring someone's opinion if you don't agree with it is a dangerous thing.

I see it as similar to when Sugarloaf pulled the pass of somebody who took an internet pot shot at a public-facing employee for how he was quoted in the press for a skier death. I supported Sugarloaf for giving the guy a dope slap for being so insensitive. I wouldn't want to be the Sugarloaf employee riding in the ambulance and having to call the parents. What a shit job. This is similar. Doug, there are indeed times when it's better to keep your mouth shut and this was one of them.

In the Sugarloaf situation, the guy got his pass back eventually. I think it would be better to do the same kind of thing with Dougie. This message board is way more entertaining with him around to stir the pot.

Greg

Staff member
I whole hartedly disagree with this. IMO his comments were not Worth getting banned, you guys were just looking for an excuse to ban him. This site is already boring enough latly, this decision will make it even more so.

This was coming for some time indeed. Ultimately there will be a "final straw" when someone is banned. He was well aware he was being scrutinized. Personally, I don't take any insensitive comments about 9/11 lightly. One other member was ultimately banned for a similar reason, but it wasn't the only reason.

I wonder how long it will take for me to get a warning for disagreeing with the mods?

Pretty lame that you post this Tim. I think you know Brian and me at least pretty well. Neither of us or any other mods have tried to stifle opinions and have never banned anyone for differing opinions.

I'm no fan of GSS. But, in my opinion, censoring someone's opinion if you don't agree with it is a dangerous thing.

Andy - GSS was not banned for his opinion. He was ultimately banned for several things he's done over the course of his time here. Think of it as cumulative. His post this morning was meant to get a reaction, and well, he got it. We've given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time. How long are we supposed to do that? People have been screaming for consistency here lately. Our tolerance of GSS for so long was not at all consistent with how we've handled things in the past. Either you folks want a moderated forum, or not. Sorry, but we're not going to be able to please everyone.

Paul

I got yer back, Helmet...

Obviously it would've been best for Doug to not throw his 2 cents in considering his history, however, it was his idiom to do so. Doug knew he was on a slippery slope by trying to make a somewhat veiled political comment in an obviously politically charged thread. Granted his tact was horrid and how he said what he said was in poor taste. However, I have to agree with the overall sentiment. It's a sad time for the United States when we've become so complacent that waving a $0.10 flag and saying "Never Forget" once a year is all it takes to be considered patriotic. 9/11 was a horrible tragedy that changed our way of life dramatically. The United States' response to it was almost as abhorrent, from the pols to the general public. Many of the main conspiritors and financial backers of said conspiritors are still at large, meanwhile we've further de-stabilized an already unstable region and sunk into debt that our great-great-great grandchildren will still be mired with.
Sorry, but it just grinds my gears watching people suddenly remember to be "patriotic" on an anniversary, but go back to turning a blind-eye and following the herd the other 364 days a year.

AMF

deadheadskier

Staff member
I support the decision. Irregardless of whether people agree with 'the final straw', what needs to be understood is that the amount of complaints submitted to the moderating team from other members concerning GSS was more than double every other member combined. Even though I've only been a moderator for a couple of months, all complaints are logged and the amount over his time here is staggering. This ultimately is the reasoning and as Greg has mentioned, he was given much more slack and many more chances than others banned prior to him.

Greg

Staff member
So this is permanent and not a time-out?

Permanent.

In the Sugarloaf situation, the guy got his pass back eventually. I think it would be better to do the same kind of thing with Dougie. This message board is way more entertaining with him around to stir the pot.

I'm not opposed to temporary bans but when we proposed it, it was met with a fair amount of opposition. Less than 50% of the members supported it, and usually I won't make a policy change unless a clear majority supports it. We'll likely revisit the idea at some point.

tjf67

That was the straw. He left you pissd and you took you ball and went home. Typical.

Was he wrong YES, Is this a forum YES, Should he have banned NO WAY
Will it be better. you are out of your chicken. In the not to distant future and is going to be you and a couple of your buddies on here and thats it. Can't help with the fore sale sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.