• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Dog Daze of Riding....

Trekchick

My summer of riding has been relatively uneventful, without much time to explore new trails, dunno why, but it is what it is.
Then came the puppy.......
A puppy adopted me about 4-5 weeks ago, which the vet determined to be 14 weeks old on August 26th, so he's just about 16 weeks old now.....
DH has taken his sweet time getting used to the idea of having a dog around, especially one that is most definitely rott, but this past weekend was a big step. On Saturday morning as we were getting loaded up for a ride, the puppy was bouncing all over. DH says,"we should take him along." I'm thinking not such a good idea since he's just healed from a broken paw and has young developing hips, but DH urged on.
We took Jester on the ride, but shortened our planned ride considerably to make sure we didn't over do it. Taking turns with one of us leading and one of us following, ........

JESTER LOVED IT!

10720_273085015017_830505017_8596001_3456742_n.jpg

10720_273083760017_830505017_8595986_7429269_n.jpg

We took extra water and a disposable cup to give him frequent drinks.....which he lapped up eagerly...
10720_274413470017_830505017_8627572_5269285_n.jpg

We stopped at the Clam River for an extra long break to let him get a refreshing drink and take a quick dip.
He really isn't fond of water, so he only waded a little bit...

10720_274413550017_830505017_8627575_4327263_n.jpg

He went nuts this morning when he saw me load up my stuff to ride again, so I'm guessing he's going to be my mt bike buddy for the duration, but he's going to have to wait until next year so we make sure he's developed enough to avoid hurting him.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wow, he's gotten so big!!! That's so cool, TC! That pup came into your life for a reason and it looks like he's making himself comfy. :D

Trekchick

Yup Severine, on all accounts. He's made a profound impact in my life on many fronts.
I guess you can say I have puppy foot prints on my heart.

As for his size, still waiting for the test results, but we're thinking he's Rott and Lab mix. which means he'll be significantly larger than we anticipated.

In the words of Brody(IIRC)
I think we need a bigger boat!!!

bvibert

Staff member
Very cool TC! I'm glad the dog is integrating into your life nicely. :beer:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My summer of riding has been relatively uneventful, without much time to explore new trails, dunno why, but it is what it is.
Then came the puppy.......
A puppy adopted me about 4-5 weeks ago, which the vet determined to be 14 weeks old on August 26th, so he's just about 16 weeks old now.....
DH has taken his sweet time getting used to the idea of having a dog around, especially one that is most definitely rott, but this past weekend was a big step. On Saturday morning as we were getting loaded up for a ride, the puppy was bouncing all over. DH says,"we should take him along." I'm thinking not such a good idea since he's just healed from a broken paw and has young developing hips, but DH urged on.
We took Jester on the ride, but shortened our planned ride considerably to make sure we didn't over do it. Taking turns with one of us leading and one of us following, ........

JESTER LOVED IT!

We took extra water and a disposable cup to give him frequent drinks.....which he lapped up eagerly...
10720_274413470017_830505017_8627572_5269285_n.jpg

We stopped at the Clam River for an extra long break to let him get a refreshing drink and take a quick dip.
He really isn't fond of water, so he only waded a little bit...

He went nuts this morning when he saw me load up my stuff to ride again, so I'm guessing he's going to be my mt bike buddy for the duration, but he's going to have to wait until next year so we make sure he's developed enough to avoid hurting him.

Hmm, first time I've seen a bike with a cupholder ;) ;) ;)

Be careful he doesn't see a pack of road bikes. Given his instinct to "run with pack" you might not see him again!

Glad he enjoys the "ride"!!

bvibert

Staff member
Bill, you should see how long the straw is so I can drink from the cup while I ride!!! :eek:

I saw that pic on FB before here and was wondering WTF was up with the cup.

You might be on to something with the long straw though.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Looks just like my pup did 14.5 years sgo. May you be as lucky as we have been with our Ol' Dog...Still chuggin'.

Trekchick

I'm really looking forward to next summer when he's fully developed and able to ride with me on a regular basis.
One thing I'm going to invest in is a collapsable water dish so we don't have to struggle with getting his nose into a disposable cup. In fact, I'm not so sure that his grown up nose will fit into a disposable cup. :)

tjf67

I'm really looking forward to next summer when he's fully developed and able to ride with me on a regular basis.
One thing I'm going to invest in is a collapsable water dish so we don't have to struggle with getting his nose into a disposable cup. In fact, I'm not so sure that his grown up nose will fit into a disposable cup. :)

Do you wear a hydration pack? I use that to water the dog. he likes it to. I just sit on the bike,squirt the water out and he laps it up. My dog is nine and to old to ride with the crew. he wines like a baby when I suit up and dont take him.