• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on 700c road wheelset upgrade?

The Sneak

Hello

In 2004 or so, I bought a leftover 02 model Specialized Allez sport. In 2006, the frame cracked and Specialized replaced it with an 05 S Works E5 Aerotec frame and fork. So now the bike is a bit of a mongrel. I ride mostly to keep in shape/negate the IPAs I enjoy, not competitive or serious or anything, but I will average 18-20 mph over 30-50 miles.

The rear derailleur is a 105, which I think is fine for my skill level. The front is a tiagra as is the crank (just in case you are wondering). The bike still has the old Alex RL2002 wheels on it, and I'd like to upgrade the wheels. I plan on probably upgrading the front derailleur and crank at some point too, but thats about it.

I don't know much about wheels and am just looking for something lighter and stronger than the RL2002s. I see the Mavic Kysrium(sp?) wheels on ebay plus a bunch of Shimano ones, among others.

Any suggestions? I'm looking more for best value than latest and greatest.

Thanks

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Hello

In 2004 or so, I bought a leftover 02 model Specialized Allez sport. In 2006, the frame cracked and Specialized replaced it with an 05 S Works E5 Aerotec frame and fork. So now the bike is a bit of a mongrel. I ride mostly to keep in shape/negate the IPAs I enjoy, not competitive or serious or anything, but I will average 18-20 mph over 30-50 miles.

The rear derailleur is a 105, which I think is fine for my skill level. The front is a tiagra as is the crank (just in case you are wondering). The bike still has the old Alex RL2002 wheels on it, and I'd like to upgrade the wheels. I plan on probably upgrading the front derailleur and crank at some point too, but thats about it.

I don't know much about wheels and am just looking for something lighter and stronger than the RL2002s. I see the Mavic Kysrium(sp?) wheels on ebay plus a bunch of Shimano ones, among others.

Any suggestions? I'm looking more for best value than latest and greatest.

Thanks

They Ksyriums are very nice wheels. They make I think 3 different models... I believe the Elite and the SL use the same rim...different spokes, hubs etc. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of SL's..but they can get a bit pricey.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Easton EA70's. I picked em up for around 350. That or have a wheel set built up with Mavic OpenPro's, I know a lot of people that have done that for a reasonable price and good performance.

hrstrat57

Easton EA70's. I picked em up for around 350. That or have a wheel set built up with Mavic OpenPro's, I know a lot of people that have done that for a reasonable price and good performance.

+1 for Easton EA70

Stedmans' in Wakefield carries em and will give you a good deal.....

I put NOS Easton Circuits on my Roubaix....dude pulled em out of the attic new in the box....the Circuits predate the EA70, nearly same wheel I am told. Cut me a ridiculous deal.

Highly recommend Stedmans if you haven't been in there....NBX is a solid shop too....we are very lucky to have 2 great LBS in our area.

hrstrat57

links

If you haven't visited here is my favorite site for learning about road bike gear:

Check out the forums, but tread carefully especially in the tecnical forums....some strong opinions can be found. I choose to lurk and learn, posting rarely.

Start with "wheels and tires" forum and enjoy

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

The Sneak

+1 for Easton EA70

Stedmans' in Wakefield carries em and will give you a good deal.....

I put NOS Easton Circuits on my Roubaix....dude pulled em out of the attic new in the box....the Circuits predate the EA70, nearly same wheel I am told. Cut me a ridiculous deal.

Highly recommend Stedmans if you haven't been in there....NBX is a solid shop too....we are very lucky to have 2 great LBS in our area.

Hi Paul
Yes, I know Jim @ Steadman and Matt @ NBX lives around the corner from us. Good people and I patronize both shops. I will see what they've got kicking around. Have you ordered your Wa Wa pass yet?

Dan

hrstrat57

Hi Paul
Yes, I know Jim @ Steadman and Matt @ NBX lives around the corner from us. Good people and I patronize both shops. I will see what they've got kicking around. Have you ordered your Wa Wa pass yet?

Dan

don't do the pass....I just ski on the AAA card.....I can't get up there enuff to justify a pass....tho I hope to get more slope time this year than last.

hopefully we'll finally hook up this year.

Jim is the guy who set up my deal...my bike is a 2005 roubaix elite(see pic)....I sure he can cut you a similar deal.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
don't do the pass....I just ski on the AAA card.....I can't get up there enuff to justify a pass....tho I hope to get more slope time this year than last.

hopefully we'll finally hook up this year.

Jim is the guy who set up my deal...my bike is a 2005 roubaix elite(see pic)....I sure he can cut you a similar deal.

If this were a real bike forum..we'd be giving you crap for that lame bike pic.....they're "supposed" to be in front of a plain wall (preferably white) and always....have the chain in the big ring when taking pics! ).

But its not....so I'm going to say, Nice ride.

hrstrat57

If this were a real bike forum..we'd be giving you crap for that lame bike pic.....they're "supposed" to be in front of a plain wall (preferably white) and always....have the chain in the big ring when taking pics! ).

But its not....so I'm going to say, Nice ride.

Hey, my dog likes that couch I had to kick him off to take that pic!

Yeah it rides pretty nice.....I almost bought a 2008 Roubaix expert for too much money then Jim at Stedman's pulled this out of the basement in a box - 2005 elite mostly ultegra 9 speed (105 brakes which are fine for me) for less than 1/2 the money.

He told me had a triple too, I said nah, don't think so the guys on the internet would laugh at me......

Only took me 6 months to ditch the lame alex wheelset it came with I got an equally sweet deal on the circuits - he found those in the attic.

Gotta love your LBS when they bring the sweet deals.

I am drooling even more over the 2010 expert tho:-(

I also have a columbus frame bianchi from late 80's with full campy chorus 7 speed drivetrain...celeste of course

hrstrat57

btw I posted the same pick on rbs and bike forum and didn't get hammered at all.....I was real worried when I realized I hadn't removed the lame yellow safety stickers but no comments.....relative newb on both forums, guess they went easy.