• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9-22-09 Quinebaug River Trail - Night Ride

drjeff

Ride After Dark. Been wanting to try out my head light set up on something tame before I hit the trails with it in the coming weeks. A nice night tonight. Got the kids to bed by 8:20. Loaded the bike onto the bike rack and headed to the 4 month old paved public bike/walking/running trail the next town over to turn on the handlebar and helmet lights and give them a try.

Did a total of 11.5 miles of pavement riding in just under 45 leisurely minutes. I would say that it took me maybe 10 minutes of riding to get comfortable with the depth perception issue (some low level ground fog in a couple of sections of the trail didn't exactly help), after that it was just me enjoying the night and listening to the hum of my tires over the pavement. Next night ride will be on the dirt, no doubt!

WoodCore

Niice!! Can't wait for my lights to arrive in the mail so I can start pedaling after dark as well. .

drjeff

Night riding is lots of fun. I don't ride new trails at night though.

I'm not planning on that either! Baby steps is my plan with the lights! Paved bike path 1st, then move onto trails that I've rode a bunch and know what to expect. Kind of weird at first with the lights as to how an area that you know in the daylight is spacious seems quite small with just a couple of LED's showing the way. Same thing with the speed factor. Granted I was on a paved bike path, but it seemed like I was going maybe 4 or 5 mph faster than what the computer said I was actually going. Fun stuff though!