• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Washington 9/26/09

Zand

Date(s) Hiked: Saturday 9/26/09 (8 AM - 5 PM)

Trails(s) Hiked: Ammonoosuc, Crawford to summit, Gulfside to Jewell back down

Total Distance: 12ish miles RT?

Difficulty: Tough... not steep but obviously long as hell and takes a lot of determination

Conditions: Top 10 Washington day... 40s, bluebird, a little brisk at the top but not bad at all

Special Required Equipment: Nothing yet... winter precip will start any day up there.

Trip Report:

Not too much to say here. Trail up was fun with all the waterfalls and sights. Above the tree line, the views into Vermont, up to Canada, down to Winnipasaukee, and over into Maine were incredible. Hike to the top takes a lot longer than it looks from Lake in the Clouds. I never want to see another rock in my life, I now know where the nickname Rockpile comes from. Getting to the top felt so rewarding after almost 5 hours of hiking. Hike down Gulfside to Jewell felt like days trying to get off those damn rocks, but it was easy after getting off the rocks and below the ALPINEZONE (had to laugh when I saw those signs).

I'm still incredibly sore, but such a fun day. Can't wait to do Tux in the spring. My next hike will probably end up in the ski thread, involving snow, skis, Jay, Jet, and October 17th or 24th hopefully.

Zand

Ever been up there when it's not a perfect day like it was on Saturday? Get up there on a nice cold windy day and you'll understand the "Alpine Zone".

I understand why the sign is there, just immediately thought of this site and maybe a new logo lol.

WJenness

I understand why the sign is there, just immediately thought of this site and maybe a new logo lol.

I had that same thought when I climbed the rock pile about this time last year and saw those signs... I even took a picture of one of them and was going to post it here, but then my girlfriend's purse (with her camera in it) got stolen a couple of days later. Pics hadn't been copied to the computer yet. She got everything back except the camera. (was found about a week later)

-w

KevinF

Ahhhh, now I get it. :dunce: I shouldn't post on Monday mornings.

I had that same thought when I climbed the rock pile about this time last year and saw those signs... I even took a picture of one of them and was going to post it here, but then my girlfriend's purse (with her camera in it) got stolen a couple of days later. Pics hadn't been copied to the computer yet. She got everything back except the camera. (was found about a week later)

I have a picture of the sign somewhere. I'll post it a little later tonight.

KevinF

ry%3D400