• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Right" size ski?

SkiDog

Any ideas on what the "right" size ski is these days?

I have multiple pairs or various lenghts and enjoy them all for they're inteneded purposes, but am wondering what the "manufacturers" recommended lenght for my height and weight. I am 210lbs, 6'3", and a type III skier, tend to be on the aggressive side.

Just wondering what like frames might be skiing on..I tend to lean towards the longer skis myself.

Thanks.

M

smootharc

I'm not so sure you....

....shouldn't expand the length issue to sidecut-turn radius, stiffness, and other features such as width under foot, etc.

There's alot of choices out there on the shelf, and a good ski shop employee should be able to walk you through them. It might take 2 or 3 pairs to round out a good set up for all conditions, mountains, and your daily "whims".....

SkiDog

im not looking I jsut wondered really what everyone else skis...length wise mostly..based on frame size...again..im from the "old school" of straight skis where length was the "way", so i tend to go with longer boards if there is such an animal anymore.

M

RossiSkier

Dog, I'm 5-10, 225. I use 184cm boards, but have 191, 196, and 198 boards as well - back when Bandit X's ran long. The extra length gives a lot of support, but I only use my 184 midfat's now.

SKIQUATTRO

2 seasons ago I was on a pair of 193 K2's that I had for about 6 years. I then demo'd a pair of Atomic M10's last year and the tech handed me a pair of 157's!!!!! I looked at him like he had 10 heads..he said "trust me"...I did and he was right on....so now I am on M10's 157's and they are a dream

SkiDog

RossiSkier said:
Dog, I'm 5-10, 225. I use 184cm boards, but have 191, 196, and 198 boards as well - back when Bandit X's ran long. The extra length gives a lot of support, but I only use my 184 midfat's now.

cool im on 185...thats exactly the type of response I Was looking for...

M

Terry

I'm 5'11, 225 lbs and ski on a 168 volkl six star. Works really good for me. :beer: