• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack

dailey7779

Website
dailey7779.blogspot.com
Date(s) Hiked: 9/26/09

Trails(s) Hiked: Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge, Falling Waters Trail

Total Distance: 8.9

Difficulty: 3,550 elevation gain in 4 miles to Lafayette summit

Conditions: Perfect!

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report: Click here for pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/cdailey7779/MountLafayetteLincolnLittleHaystack#

On trail at 8am, summited Lafayette at 10am, across ridge to Little Haystack at 11:15, finished at 12:45. Trail conditions were perfect, only obstacle were the people coming up Falling Waters as I descended. Temps 35 degrees at start warmed up to 50's on the ridge and around 60 descending. Clear day with 75 plus miles visibility and absolutely no wind!

The early start on the trail had me well ahead of the traffic of everyone taking advantage of a perfect weather day. Only passed about 12 people on way up Old Bridal Path (1 coming down) not many people on the ridge either, around a dozen or so. Once I got to Little Haystack it turned into a zoo! lost count somewhere around 200 people when coming down Falling Waters trail.

Forgot how awesome the views are hiking up Bridle Path and Greenleaf trail. The Franconia Ridge from Lafayette, Lincoln, and Little Haystack is still one of my favorite hikes.

Would have hiked the whole Franconia Ridge and down Flume Slide trail but with no one to look after my dog I had to book it back home!