10 Best Mt Biking Spots in New England

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 Best Mt Biking Spots in New England

According to the Boston Globe anyway:

http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...untain_biking/
    Last edited by wa-loaf; Oct 5, 2009 at 3:02 PM. Reason: CT actually did make the list.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    According to the Boston Globe anyway:

http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...untain_biking/
    what a crock of #$&* that list is. Its obvious that who ever put that list together is a spandex clad XC rider that doesnt like technical riding. The obvious glaring omissions are:

Lynn Woods, Ma
    Holyoke Range State Forest, Ma
    Vietnam, Ma
    Case Mt, Ct
    DAR St Forest, Ma
    Highland Bike Park, NH
    Mt Snow, VT

The only spot on that list I have not ridden is Vietnam, and I am hoping to change that soon.

The only place on that list I have ridden is Bradbury State Park, but I ride there regularly and they do have some awesome singletrack. Definitely worth checking out for anyone that lives in or visits Southern Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    what a crock of #$&* that list is. Its obvious that who ever put that list together is a spandex clad XC rider that doesnt like technical riding.
    Just as the majority of the general skier population prefers groomed corduroy, I suspect the majority of the MTB population prefers smooth, flowy singletrack...
    I ski double black diamonds.

All these lists are a bit of a joke as it is unlikely someone has ridden every trail in New England. In defense of the list, Pachaug & Arcadia do have great riding for wide range of abilities. I was surprised stuff like Little Ascutney, Phen Basin, Waterbury, or Otis didn't make the list. The carriage paths at Acadia NP do suck for mountain biking if you are over 8 years old or under 75.

I think i counted 6-7 systems out of 10 where i biked once at least.

That said, there are OFFICIAL mountain biking areas where you can get a map and info at the local tourism office. You can't get a map of Waterbury or directions from the tourist kiosque in Stowe or Waterbury...

So for official areas with dedicated maps and info, i think it's not so bad...

The Carriage Road System in Acadia is awesome but they are grave/dirt mostly flat roads, not mountain biking.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

" Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

lol.
    If it ain't Poe, I don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer View Post
    The Carriage Road System in Acadia is awesome but they are grave/dirt mostly flat roads, not mountain biking.
    +1. Great for daily riding with the Girlfriend but nothing I would consider "mountain biking". Last time I was up there, I found a small trail here and there but the Carriage Roads are no single track.

Bear Book is supposed to be rad. (yes, I said rad) I haven't had the time to get down there yet. KT has been reviewed a bunch of times and I love Bradbury. Awesome and can be quite technical.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    lol.
    You should be happy, Millstone is in 2nd place!

I do understand that most "riders" won't be riding much of these because there are way more better trails out there... but thinking from the "tourism-standpoint", don't you think it's fair to point these 10 outs?

hey, it will keep the queebs away from Stowe!

Thread Information