• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pole suggestions?

JimG.

Staff member
Phildozer said:
I'm going to be recreational racing at Wachusett this year and want/need to get some new poles.

Any suggestions?

Leki makes a variety of great recreational and racing poles; I bought a pair last season, used them all year, then sawed a basket off of one early this season while skiing in some ragged bumps. My shop sent them back to Leki under warranty, and last weekend I got a brand new pair.

shenty

My son (who races SL and GS) used Scott last year, and is using Swix this year. He liked the Scott, and they took a pretty good beating, though by the end of the season, they were pretty scratched up. The Swix's he just got are lighter, but we'll see how they survive the gates.

bigbog

Lekis, Swixes, Goodes... 8) There were some K2s on sale at local shop way up here....have been nice too.
Goode was supposed to have a ultra-lightweight model out...but from what I've heard...has not reached market yet...probably from it being originally designed with a carbon grip... :p , maybe that grip didn't go over too well... :-?

NYDrew

Depends, first I'm a firm believer in the standard aluminum $15 poles being I am always breaking them.

Anyone that compains they are too heavy should just hit the gym and do a few reps at 5 lbs, even that should be enough to bulk you up to pole carrying standards.

If your running slalom, I would go with your everyday cheap poles. Anything else, perhaps a more shaped pole would be instore, but I would still skimp on the quality...its just a freaking pole.