• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/29 NCP Discussion Thread

rjc1976

I've noticed that people use the term "NCP" when we get rain, but what exactly does it stand for?

shenty

riverc0il said:
non-crystalline precipitation. the R word is a curse around these parts ;)

Can anyone come up with a similar acronym for the F word? (This one's the 3 letter one that ends in "og")

In New London NOAA is predicting NCP and f-o-g through out the day. :angry: Ohh well, there's always tomorrow...

skiguy

Il pleut

How about using the french word, pluie? I saw it come down heavily this morning at daybreak, but I'm on the Ma. coast right now. It's supposed to be quite warm today. By the way the french word for the f word is Brumard or Brume. Brumardeuse would be f*ggy.

ChileMass

Foggy (brumardeuse) and drizzly (bruineux) here in central/eastern Mass. Steady rain, approx 1/2 inch coming this afternoon. A few inches of old snow are hanging on, but it won't last long with these conditions.

Is any snow expected anywhere south of the Canadian border between now and the weekend?

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Should be a good upslope snow storm on the back side of this storm, id pick vermont or the franconias for jackpot amounts maybe 6-7inches... Tomorrow might not be half bad!

skidbump

Steady NCP in hyde park ny
was supposed to be skiing mon till sunday but weather really put a dampner on it...also forgot what crowded was till yesterday ....starting to think nov/dec as a season and march/april as another and skipping the middle except for mid week...Just not sure what i would do all weekend if i didnt ski..God never mind what was i thinking i would go nuts..

dmc

Drizzle here in the "Skillz"....

Headed out for a few turns now...

dmc

pepperdawg said:
Enjoy the softness.....one stick or two today?

Fresh tune on the Never Summer... Going to ride!

Although... It may be a good day to telemark...

I guess i should decide while I'm waiting for my friend to call... :)

ChileMass

Boston Channel 7 just said Caribou is going to get 8-12" more today beyond the 24-30" they got the other day. The weather pattern is tracking 200 miles too far north.....

ctenidae

Looks like the NOAA forecasts are moving slowly towards less rain on Friday, for Southern NH, anyway. I've been watching all day (trying to make plans for Saturday), and the chance for NCP and temperatures have been dropping slowly but surely.

Anybody got an idea of whose conditions will hold up better between Sunapee, Ragged and Gunstock (or have a good idea for somewhere in the 2 hour range from Boston)?

hammer

ctenidae said:
Looks like the NOAA forecasts are moving slowly towards less rain on Friday, for Southern NH, anyway. I've been watching all day (trying to make plans for Saturday), and the chance for NCP and temperatures have been dropping slowly but surely.

Anybody got an idea of whose conditions will hold up better between Sunapee, Ragged and Gunstock (or have a good idea for somewhere in the 2 hour range from Boston)?
I'd bet on Sunapee at this point, since their snowmaking and grooming seem to be the best of the three.

I'd definitely manage my expectations, though...

noski

no r**n here

kingslug said:
dmc said:
Drizzle here in the "Skillz"....

Headed out for a few turns now...
Thinking about going Monday. How is the ice? Don't feel like driving 180 miles if it's bullet proof.
We had only snow flurries from midnight last night thru today in the MRV, and no more r*** in the forecast. Nothing that accumulated much, but snowmaking has been going on all day here since it is cold. Forecast is teens and 20s thru the next several days. Weather next Tues/Weds still too far to call.