• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indian Head Adirondacks, NY 10/10/2009

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Planned hiking up to Mount Colvin this weekend, didn't quite make it for a number of reasons. 1.As we started hiking it rained most of the way, 2. Decided to make a side trip to Indian Head for the views, didn't realize how much more that added to the trip, 3. Friends I went with were a bunch of weenies, that didn't want to continue the hike to Mount Colvin.

Anyway, we got to parking lot about 9:00 AM and Started out hike 10 minutes later. Parking lot is at the end of St. Huberts Road in Keene Valley, NY. From the lot you walk .6 miles up St. Huberts Road to the Ausable club and make a left on to Lake Road. A little ways up, maybe 1/4 mile, you come to a gate where you can sign in. From the gate you walk up the Lake Road about 1.8 miles until you come a trail to Beaver Meadows Falls on your right and then in a little bit you will see a turn off for Indian Head Rock on your right (Red Trail). This trail goes along side the Gill Brook, it's very narrow, a bit rocky but not too difficult. The views along the Gill Brook are pretty sweet, you see various falls and flumes along the way. On the day we hiked there was a good amount of mud and leaves on the trails, bit slipper, bit messy, but fun nonetheless. Follow this trail for about 1.3 miles until you run into a blue trail, there is a sign that says Indian Head. If you go straight, you will be able to get to Mount Colvin. Go up the blue trail for about .5 miles until you get to Indian head. I saw pic of Indian Head before going on this hike and they looked real sweet, nice flat rock above the Ausable Lake. Figued this would be a great place to sit, rest, and have some lunch before continuing on to Colvin. Well, views were spectacular, however, it was cold and windy. Hiking up I stripped down to a t-shirt. Once we hit Indian Head, I had to put on a sweat shirt and jacket. Took a few pics and turned back as we started getting cold. By now, my weenie friend was starting to bitch that he hiked far enough and didn't want to continue onto Colvin. I asked my wife as we were hiking back to the red trail what she wanted to do. She's usually a trooper and will continue, but can be lazy and when given an excuse, rain and friend bitching, she'll take the easy route. So, decided to head back. As we got closer to the Lake road the started coming out as did the steam from my head :) . But overall it was still a good hike, not what I was hoping for, but 9.1 miles and 1345 altitude gain. Last time I take these friend.

Dam along the Lake Road:
main.php

Beginning of Red Trail:
main.php

My trooper in front of Gill Brook:
main.php

Start of red trail:
main.php

Views along the way:
main.php

main.php

main.php