• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'09 damage report

drjeff

Okay, granted there's still some good riding to be had before the snow sliding season starts, but with snowmaking having started in the Northeast, many of us will be putting the mtb away for the winter quite soon. So lets start what I'll call the damage report (I'm talking bike damage, not things like Grassi's Broken a$$ damage ;) )

My '09 damage:

- 2 pedals
- 1 rear derailleur mounting bracket
- 1 rear tire sidewall blowout
- 1 bent rear rim
- 4 or 5 tubes

Not bad for my 1st season, especially considering I didn't get the bike until July 4th week! :)

Had the sidewall blowout actually today, about 1/3mile into my ride. Literally sounded like somebody fired a shotgun just behind me :eek: I kind of suspected something wasn't right since my night ride when I blew the rear tube in a rock garden and things just didn't feel right after that. When I got a good look today at the tire after the blowout, I could see that almost 1/3 of the circumference of the sidewall was down to, if not all the way through the cord under the rubber :eek: and that the rim was slightly bent :eek: Bike's in the shop now for a couple of days to get the rim trued, a new tire for the rear and a general tune up. Even check out a new Kona 2010 Dawg they had in the LBS - gotta start dropping b-day/x-mas gift hints to my wife ;)

bvibert

Staff member
1 snapped frame
10 or so broken spokes
1 busted chain quick link
3 or 4 ripped tire sidewalls
several pinch flatted tubes

I think that's it. Aside from the frame not too bad.

WoodCore

Definitely broke my share of stuff this year.

Taco'd one rear wheel
Blown rear hub on another wheel
One saddle
One rear tire
One set of pedals
A couple of tubes
One chain
And a few spokes

Regardless, the bike made out pretty good compared to my body, especially at the beginning of the year! LOL!

rueler

After 1100+ miles things break...I certainly had my share this year! 2 free hub bodies on my rear wheels (two separate wheel sets), broken spoke, busted pedals, new drivetrain (including front rings), new grips, 2 flats, one slit tire, 2 broken cyclo computers, 3 or 4 bushings for the rear suspension, 3 new sets of tires (1 for backup bike, 1 for just in case and 1 on my rig)...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
One severely bruised patella, deep gash, plus a knee swollen up like a grapefruit. Wooot.

Hopefully the gaddamn thing will be better by next week.

Greg

Staff member
Didn't ride as much as planned. Just a few tubes, and the pedals, while still functioning, need to be replaced in the off season.

yesmandroc

pedals
rear derailleur
bent rim
3 or 4 tubes
3 tires
2 sets of brake pads

I haven't replaced them but they tell me I need a new chain, crankset and freewheel. That money instead is going towards my new bike.

gorgonzola

few tubes - maybe 5
a tire
derailleur hanger
chain
rear brake pads
seat's about had it and need new grips
bike's 3 seasons old - i'd like to check/replace pivots and seals over the winter

oh yea add pedals and shoes
zoiks about 350 bills total for the year!

MR. evil

I have been lucky this year

one sliced tire
blew my fork out - getting fixed under warranty, gave me an excuse to get a new one while I waited :)
one broken bolt on the rear linkage. Turner bikes sent me replacement bolts via over night delivery

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
Marzzochi fork crown cracked (it was 11 years old)
Rear rim split wide open (older worn out Mavic)
Egg beater pedals broke
Thudbuster seatpost elastomer broke in half
Tore a hole in my rear tire's sidewall
Broke 3 chains
dozens of tubes

tjf67

Knocking on wood.

The road bike traveled more than 800 miles with no breakdowns.

The mountain bike went more than 150 miles with a bent derailer hanger and a shifter cable malfunction.

I had one tire blow out on a rented downhill rig but I dont count that

Less that 30 bucks.

Not done yet though couple more weeks. Hope I did not jinks myself.

bvibert

Staff member
1 snapped frame
10 or so broken spokes
1 busted chain quick link
3 or 4 ripped tire sidewalls
several pinch flatted tubes

I think that's it. Aside from the frame not too bad.

Add to that one rear hub/freehub... :smash:

MR. evil

Add to that one rear hub/freehub... :smash:

That's sucks! Didn't you get those wheels this year?

Look into a Hope Pro2 rear hub to replace the broken one. They are not too expensive, have good engagement and are pretty solid. So far I love mine. XT rear hubs also get good reviews and can be found cheap. They are just difficult to service. Or just get a Chris King hub.