• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/14 - 12/15 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
10:00 AM and 19* and the snow just began flying here in Watertown, CT!

I hope we have a lot of threads like these this winter! :)

pepperdawg

Just popped into work for a "preemptive strike" on a few tasks which will allow me to play in the snow tommorow :D

Looks like storm later in the week is shaping up nicely as well...........gotta love this cycle!!!!! :D :D

Greg

Staff member
Up to a solid inch and a half, as of 1 PM. Ground and roads are white!

The forecasts I'm seeing for Wed/Thu calls for rain/mixed. I took Thursday off (Fridays have been bad luck) so it better be more frozen stuff than not. Still too far out to tell, and I'm determined to ski regardless. :-?

Any way, today's storm is shaping up nicely. Does this season remind anyone of last season, but perhaps 3 weeks later? :)

Joshua

1/2 inch in 1/2 hour in Spingfield...big band coming up

expect a change to sleet/rain in all of ct and southern mass tonight

Greg

Staff member
jfg15 said:
1/2 inch in 1/2 hour in Spingfield...big band coming up
Yeah, really. Snowing HARD now. I don't remember it snowing as hard at any point during last weekend's storm. Up to 2" now!

Joshua

stronger mesoscale dynamics in this storm, more banding, deeper low, more lift...all that good stuff

however, stronger means more flow from the somewhat warm atlantic, so a changeove is to be expected down here

Greg

Staff member
jfg15 said:
so a changeove is to be expected down here
Any chance of this not happening?

Joshua

1) Dynamics of the storm can cause the atmosphere to cool itself even though warmer air works into it, and this could happen when most of the precip falls thus giving some good amounts of snow before a changeover. This is what the NWS thinks will happen

2) Storm stays east of boston....not sure about that one, although pressure falls look good off the coast....

Joshua

for what its worth, 7.5 millibar pressure drops off the coast of Jersey, indicating bombogenesis, the rapid development and intensification of a storm

this could cause snow fall rates in the next 4 hours easily at or above 1-2 inches an hour

Greg

Staff member
Seems like we're getting a break in the precipitation right now. Still a very fine snow and it's struggling to reach 20 degrees. About 4 1/2" so far this afternoon.

R

RichC

Just starting to flurry here in northern NH. The ski areas sure could use a good dumping of snow after last week.

Greg

Staff member
Just received another inch or so of fine snow/sleet after a couple of hours of nothing...

J

jlangdale

I left the bush at around 3 or so and headed out for Lebanon, NH around 4. Got there around 5. From around 4 or 430 the snow started up I89 coming on strong. There was quickly a few inches of snow on the ground. Just got back to Waitsfield now 830pm with a good 8" of snow on my deck and on the local roads. Snow appears to be increasing now and the wind is picking up. Should be an interesting morning especially if we get high winds. Blizzard time.

Thank God for my Jeep and snow.

J

jlangdale

Joshua B said:
jlangdale, Whaleback must've looked nice huh? :)

Damn, if it wasn't dark out might be a nice little hike for some right off the freeway powder runs. But I actually didn't go past Lebanon, Nh though. Just went there to pickup my daughter and came back to Waitsfield.

Speaking of hiking, I went to get a new helmet with headphones at the local apline shop near the bush. Brought my Dakine backpack in to to see about rigging my pack to carry my snowboard or skis. Come to find my backpack already has the straps to carry my board. I was so hyped. I'm hopeful maybe Tuesday morning if I get some snowshoes or something tomorrow I might be able to do some hiking early morning after the storm to get some pictures and take a pow run.

Greg

Staff member
Well, we wound up with about 5 inches of snow and another inch of sleet/ice. It warmed up to 30 degrees late last night. How are conditions up North?