• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dalbello VIrus - taking orders

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Check out the Virus Lite and the Virus Free. Now taking deposits. Shipping in early December. Call 800-799-5927 for the AZ price. The boots have an amazing range of motion.

2rysn45.jpg
imp4w9.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a Krypton Pro. I maybe interested in an AT boot if I like touring this winter. What are the flex ratings on these boots? Are the souls replaceable? Also, why only half size shells? I wear a 26.5, so it's not a big deal, but I'm curious for folks looking for a small shell.

wa-loaf

That looks pretty cool. fyi: you misspelled Krypton on the webpage.

wa-loaf

That's the walk function for touring. They lock in place for downhilling.

skidmarks

I have a Krypton Pro. I maybe interested in an AT boot if I like touring this winter. What are the flex ratings on these boots? Are the souls replaceable? Also, why only half size shells? I wear a 26.5, so it's not a big deal, but I'm curious for folks looking for a small shell.

The soles are not replaceable and the flex ratings go from 80 to 110. I'm not sure if they offer whole size boots, however a 26 and a 26.5 really are the same size boot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Aren't the soles on most AT boots replaceable?

I wonder if an AT boot exists that is as stiff as I like. I have my Krypton Pros set up as stiff as they possibly can go. I believe that is 140

skidmarks

Plake designed a special sole for his new boot. He doesn't like replacable soles. They do have some Stiff AT boots out there but this one is designed to Tour very well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would seem to me that not having replaceable rubber souls on AT boots would be a bad thing. By nature the walking mode is there for 'walking'. Walking in ski boots can damage the soles quite quickly. Is Glenn's sole design particularly burly such that it does not wear down easily? This will be my first season touring and it will be minimal. Lots to learn, hence lots of questions. As n00b my outside looking in perspective considering important features in an AT boot would be, comfortable walking mode, replaceable soles and a grippy sole tread design.....plus stiff alpine boot ski performance.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much :lol:

Philpug

It is an interesting boot, I had it on a few weeks ago. Since I am not "touring" nor don't have many touring customers, it is not on my radar. Fit is a bit more volumious than the Krypton series.

Trekchick

That's not really different than other boots. The difference is made up in liner volume.

skidmarks

These boots are made for walking, so my guess is that by the time the soles are worn out he boots are shot anyway. It's not like walking in your alpine boots thru the parking lot. Cigarette smoking Chamonix Mt Guides wear boots like these daily, for several seasons before they're toast. Garmont makes a 120 flex AT Boot (Shaman), BD makes a 130 (Factor), but I think the 110 Flex Virus Lite is going to be the ticket. The stride on the ups is going to be so much longer with the Virus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
These boots are made for walking, so my guess is that by the time the soles are worn out he boots are shot anyway. It's not like walking in your alpine boots thru the parking lot. Cigarette smoking Chamonix Mt Guides wear boots like these daily, for several seasons before they're toast. Garmont makes a 120 flex AT Boot (Shaman), BD makes a 130 (Factor), but I think the 110 Flex Virus Lite is going to be the ticket. The stride on the ups is going to be so much longer with the Virus.

cool

had no idea, new to this aspect of the sport.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You're so lucky to live up in New Hampster! Have you read any of the Dave Goodman Books about BC skiing in New England? How far are you from the Whites?

I have not read his book. I have a set of High Society Free Rides mounted with Dukes this season and I plan on dipping my toes in the water with some experienced Azers like Rivercoil and Awfl140. Probably just a few spring days on Tuckermans and easy to access routes near there until I'm comfortable with skinning and other gear management aspects of touring. I don't think I'll ever be going on extended tours like the Chic Chocs, but you never know.

Where I live is about 2 hours from the base of Washington....live in the seacoast area.

skidmarks

Get a copy of David Goodman's Classic Backcountry Skiing; Ski Tours in New England. It will give you some great ideas.

If you're up skiing Wildcat a quick trip up the Tuckerman Ravine trail and down the John Sherburne trail is a great way to test out your gear.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
For as much time as I'm planning on spending in my touring boots this winter, there's no way I could justify spending $800 on a pair of AT boots.

skidmarks

For as much time as I'm planning on spending in my touring boots this winter, there's no way I could justify spending $800 on a pair of AT boots.

You need to spend more time in your boots or less money on them. We can help with the $$ part

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You need to spend more time in your boots or less money on them. We can help with the $$ part

I spent a fair amount of time in them last year. Not as much as Austin, but a fair amount. I bought new Mega Rides on Tramdock for $350 at the begining of the season. Can't really beat that price. I'll ski the ever living snot out of them and then upgrade in a couple years when maybe a successor to the Radium is released and those go on closeout.

wilcox510

Skidmarks - so you guys aren't carrying the Virus Tour (I think thats the name, the stiffer version with Dynafit fittings)? I see Phils comments, but any more info on the fit? Just a bit bigger than Kryptons, or much bigger etc? Do those buckles have micro adjustability (they don't look like it to me from pics I've seen). Does it feel like the 3 buckles without a power strap gives an adequate closure?? Any more specifics much appreciated.