• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LI, NY bootfitters

SKIQUATTRO

this boot thing is stressin' me out. I am in desperate need of boots, just cant figure out where to go. The closest shops are Sundown (Greenvale NY) Ski Stop (Plainview) Sno Haus (Huntington) or do I wait for my trip to Smuggs next week? With my schedule/kids etc dont have alot of time to be traveling all over...Smuggs doesnt seem to have the best selection (Solomon, Rossi, Dabello) SKI STOP has a massive selection, just dont know if they are expert fitters

BeanoNYC

SKIQUATTRO said:
SKI STOP has a massive selection, just dont know if they are expert fitters

You WONT get any type of knowledge or customer service at SKI STOP.
Try calling Jake at Sno Haus in Hempstead. I may have mentioned this ......

If not JimG knows someone by Hunter, I think.

Greg

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
If not JimG knows someone by Hunter, I think.
Keith at the Pro in Hunter: http://www.theproskiandride.com/

SKIQUATTRO - I still wouldn't count out Jeff Bokum despite his location not being near you. Give him a call. I think he might make trips south from time to time, but I'm not sure what he can do outside his lab. Your boots will be an investment and will hopefully serve you for many years so you don't want to settle on a bootfitter just based on convenient location...

JimG.

Staff member
JimG. said:
My best advice is to see Keith Holmquist at The Pro on 23A in Hunter, NY. It's not LI, but you could plan a ski day, get boots and a fitting from Keith, and then maybe test those babies out during a few afternoon runs.

I get the feeling SKIQUATTRO isn't interested in going to Hunter.

Too far?

BeanoNYC

Same owners, different stores. Jake is the equipment manager there and spent a lot of time with me on my boots.

It's on North Franklin just south of Garden City, by all those car dealerships.

SKIQUATTRO

Just dont have time to make the trip to Hunter, nothing personal.....would love to. cant. next option.

JimG.

Staff member
SKIQUATTRO said:
Just dont have time to make the trip to Hunter, nothing personal.....would love to. cant. next option.

No worries, I understand completely.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Despite Jim G's comments, which are not off base by any means, I am still very satisfied with Hickory & Tweed and especially with my custom beds. I believe the fitter I worked with was "Beano". (I don't think its any relation to the AZ Beano..or is it?).

They are not cheap..but sometimes, you get what you pay for...and I feel its worth it when it comes to boots.

SKIQUATTRO

Thanks, just found out there is an Inner Bootworks up at Smuggs and I'm headed there next week

Thanks

SKIQUATTRO

FINALLY!!!! New boots!! Was up at Killington over the weekend, didnt ski on Saturday so headed up to Northern Ski Works and spent a few hours with Hal Karabots......WOW. Unbelievable service, patience, knowlegde...he disceted every part of my foot, stance, posture....after trying on an array of boots, we finally picked the Rossignol ELITE EXP 1 CARBON (Flex 110) I skied it on Sunday and what a difference...for the morning it felt like it was my first time on skis as now i am in the correct position.....Thanks Hal, great job, those boys at Northern know their stuff. Also, the boot was 30% off (sale) $650 boot for $455...

BeanoNYC

SKIQUATTRO said:
FINALLY!!!! New boots!! Was up at Killington over the weekend, didnt ski on Saturday so headed up to Northern Ski Works and spent a few hours with Hal Karabots......WOW. Unbelievable service, patience, knowlegde...he disceted every part of my foot, stance, posture....after trying on an array of boots, we finally picked the Rossignol ELITE EXP 1 CARBON (Flex 110) I skied it on Sunday and what a difference...for the morning it felt like it was my first time on skis as now i am in the correct position.....Thanks Hal, great job, those boys at Northern know their stuff. Also, the boot was 30% off (sale) $650 boot for $455...

Sweet! I'm glad you didn't make a hasty decision. Patience is a good thing when it comes to making such an important purchase.