• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do I dispose of an old bike?

yesmandroc

I pulled my old GT out of my Mom's cellar today. I was hoping to salvage some of it, bit it looks like none of it is useable. Can I just throw it out? Should I just take it to the dump?

bvibert

Staff member
How old? I think some areas have places that you can donate old bikes to.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Freecycle. Craigslist (they have a free section). My very very old 3-speed that was handed down to me (I'd guess that thing was 35+ years old) was picked up pretty quickly by passers-by when I put it out by the road.

ski220

Usually your local Police Dept. distributes bikes that they have recovered, and have not been claimed, to needy children. Try them. Or just drop it off at the nearest Goodwill store.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
If it truly isn't useable, I don't know how good idea it is to donate to someone. If they can't use it, then they just have to get rid of it.

The transfer stations in my last town and my current one have scrap metal dumpsters. It would go there.

bvibert

Staff member
If it truly isn't useable, I don't know how good idea it is to donate to someone. If they can't use it, then they just have to get rid of it.

The transfer stations in my last town and my current one have scrap metal dumpsters. It would go there.

I believe there are some organizations who will take even junk bikes to use the parts to fix other bikes. Then they give the fixed bikes to someone in need of one.

abc

What a waste! Just becasue you don't know how to make it usabe again, doesn't mean a more skilled mechanics can't!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
What a waste! Just becasue you don't know how to make it usabe again, doesn't mean a more skilled mechanics can't!

Some bikes are beyond repair, which is why I included the caveat in my post

If it truly isn't useable

If you want to go ahead and assume yesmandroc or I don't have the judgment to tell whether something is usable or not (evidence for or against which as not been seen so far, at least not in this thread), and you care that much, maybe you should at least ask him to post pictures of it, so you, who maybe has the necessary mechanic skills to make that judgment, can tell him what to do.

Scrap metal also gets recycled, you know.

Sheesh.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
www.freecycle.org/
I have gotten rid of so much stuff via freecycle. Probably 3 or 4 dozen items, large and small. I have no patience or time for garage sale dickering when the price is already 75 cents. It's such a wide audience, that everything I've posted goes within a day. I then just tell them to come and get it, and I leave it outside. Its amazing what people will take for free.
One guy wanted my broken TV. He repairs TV and uses them for parts. A woman wanted my 20 year old wall to wall carpet for a day care center she runs in her house. A guy wanted some old light fixtures and a leaky sink for his cabin. Over 30 years, I have accumulated more wood scraps than I'll ever need. People took them.

I've my suspicion that some of it ends up on eBay, but frankly that's ok with me. In this economy people do what they gotta do. Somebody makes a buck, somebody gets a good deal. In the final analysis, it stays out of the dump and preserves our resources. Freecycle has been the easiest way of getting rid of things.

Even my town promotes freecycle. It keeps the tonnage going down in our municipal waste system, costs the town less each year. I mean, like we are down 30% over a decade ago. That's serious coin. Hey, that translates directly into my tax dollars.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Some bikes are beyond repair, which is why I included the caveat in my post

If you want to go ahead and assume yesmandroc or I don't have the judgment to tell whether something is usable or not (evidence for or against which as not been seen so far, at least not in this thread), and you care that much, maybe you should at least ask him to post pictures of it, so you, who maybe has the necessary mechanic skills to make that judgment, can tell him what to do.

Scrap metal also gets recycled, you know.

Sheesh.

I interpreted the OP to mean that it wasn't useful to him, that doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't be useful to someone else. It would have to be in pretty bad shape for it not to be useful to anyone; like cracked frame, stripped BB shell, etc.. Even then some of the parts may be useful to an organization that fixes up old bikes for those in need.