• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Mountain , December 28th, 2005

eatskisleep

Date Skied: 12/28/2005

Resort or Ski Area: Wildcat Mountain

Crowds: Most crowded I have EVER seen Wildcat.

Liftlines:: Not bad at all. 10 minutes at the most!

Conditions: Some trails were good, some thin cover, some icy spots.
Temp around 30 and not too much wind which made for a nice day. One of the best Wildcat non-powder day/ early season days I've ever had.

Trip Report: So I get to Wildcat @ about 9:30 and need to pick up my season's pass. Well it was so crowded that they were only handing out lift-tickets to the season pass holders until later on. (So I went back after lunch and got my pass). Got on the slopes at around 10:00 which is later than I normally would becasue typically I get first chair.

The First run was Polecat. The conditions were actually really good and we hopped onto Tomcat Schuss on the way down which was awesome. There were some mid-sized bumps and the snow was pretty soft too. I think I only hit one icy spot maybe. Then it was back to continuing down the rest of Polecat which was pretty icy but then you could also hit up Lower Catenary which is normally bumped up and nice but that day, I was dissapointed with it; no real good bumps (which I guess you can attribute to lack of natural snow) and it was pretty icy, not to mention there were 15 poeple standing at the top of it just staring (sp?) at it :roll: .

Next run we went off to Upper Catapult which was surprisingly nice. Continued down to Middle Catapult Which the first turn was a sheet of ice but after that it wasn't too bad. Then we headed over to Hainsville Pass which was the most corwded I have ever seen it in my life, typically Catenary and Cougar are empty but not today! We opted for Cougar And it proved to be pretty thin cover. Skied Lower Catenary again this time on the left side and it wasn't quite as bad as the skier's right side.

(Now I am not complaining, I would rather see it open icy and thin cover than not at all. Thank-you Wildcat for being one of the few great mountains that still opens trails when conditions aren't the best. It makes for an added challenge.)

Some of Topcat was open and that made for good skiing. Lynx and Lynx Lair were both just "okay."

Liftlion was a pretty good run. Always a fun run indeed even when the snow is thin.

The "Run of the Day" would have to be Wildcat. Upper Wildcat Was great. Some nice soft moguls on it in places and good snow as usual. Wildcat Pitch Was also really good and not another ski on the trail besides us until we got somewhere down by Lower Wildcat which was also really good.

Overall it was a great day of skiing and there should be some pictures up really soon! 8) :lol: :D

eatskisleep

Hopefully someone will comment on this trip report now that I am going to post images... :)
Captions above the images...

From the parking lot- Good to see them making some snow!

Can you say crowds :lol:

Wildcat has an old groomer (now used as a plow?):
wildcat39bk.jpg

The best HSQ in New England:
wildcat46go.jpg

Nice view of Tuckerman Ravine and Mount Washington area:

Wildcat got new trail signs:
wildcat22uz.jpg

A fun little run:
wildcat13xz.jpg

The best place to find quiet trails were the ungroomed less icy trails:

Unlike the crowded groomed trails:

The other view of the parking lot. While going to the car to grab something, one of my family member was offered $10 for the space. Suposedbly auxillary parking was also full.

The woods were pretty thin but some were still skiable. Still wouldn't reccomend any of the "well-known" runs yet.

Another scenic shot:

How could this post be complete with this picture I got of this guy... the picture is worth 1000 words.

:D

Thanks for looking... Comments appreciated too. 8)

BeanoNYC

Thanks for the report! Man, I wish I lived closer to the Mount Washington Valley. It is just stunning up there. I've been lucky enough to ski Attitash and Bretton Woods, but never Wildcat. Next time I'm up there, I'll certainly ski Wildcats. That view of Tucks is something else. Great Pictures.

eatskisleep

awf170 said:
hey beano, heres a pic from today.
P1010050.jpg

more pics later, or tommorow
Nothing in the East beats the view from Wildcat on a clear day!