• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 12/29 to 1/1

BeanoNYC

Dates Skied: 12/29/2005 to 1/1/2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Various

Trip Report:

I woke up 4AM Thursday morning (12/29) with the car all packed. My buddy and I had worked it out where we would drive up together in the AM and meet up with everyone at the house when we were done skiing. We were on the road by 4:45.

It rained the whole ride up, but the trip was nice anyway. We were psyched for a day of looping on the lifts w/o having to “wait for the group.” I had also installed my Sirius Satellite Radio and we listened to Raw Dog Comedy the whole way up. We were doubled over at some points. It really made the time go quickly.

We arrived at K1 around 9:30 and were on the Gondola by 9:45. Rain Rain Rain!!!!! We were soaked by the end of the first run, but couldn’t be happier. “Sure beats ice!” We made our way to Rams Head, and took a few turns in the Terrain Park and on Swirl. Even with the rain, Swirl was something else. It was pretty much empty and there was good coverage with many natural jumps. We made our way back to the peak via K1 Gondola and took various trails off of Great Eastern. We had stuffed our jackets with energy bars so we skipped lunch. Spent some time on Bear Peak and called it a day after the lifts closed.

None of our friends had made it up yet. Our buddy handled the arrangements with the house so we had to wait for him to get up. We had no place to go and we were soaked. All we wanted was a warm place, a dryer for our clothes and a beer. A few seconds down the access road we see that there’s a new place next to the Pickle Barrel. It was called “The Rub A Dub Pub … and Laundry!” Yep, our wish came true. We threw our gear in the dryer there, sat at the bar and promptly grabbed some Long Trails. The wives had to come to drive my car to the rental when they got into town.

Next day, 12/30, was better weather but much of the mountain was iced over. I spent some time with my wife on the beginner slopes until her lesson began then skied with the rest of the group for a couple of hours. Sorry, I didn’t pay much attention to where we were. I think we spent most of the time on and off of Great Northern. Jumping on various blues, as our group wanted to ski together and some felt uncomfortable on some of the steeper terrain. Ice was a big problem as well as visibility. Oh well, I had a good time anyway.

12/31 My ski buddy got real sick the night before and decided to stay in for the day and save himself for the next day. The group got to the mountain at 9:30, I promptly got my wife into a lesson and took off with the group. We skied a lot on those trails off of Great Northern and I decided to bring them over to Swirl on Rams Head to check it out. We had a blast! All nice Freshies, no ice. We hit the terrain park for some jumps too. My buddy took a bad spill on his board on swirl and messed up his shoulder but rode with us till the end of the day. I felt bad that my buddy missed the best conditions of the trip so far, but Se La Vi! (sp?)

1/1: I was asleep by 1am after the festivities and up by 6:30, desperately trying to get everyone going for the day. We got to the mountain by 9:30 GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR………… I really wanted to get some runs in before my lesson. I get two free clinics with my ASC pass so I figured I’d cash in on one. I spoke to the instructors and told them I want to work on Bumps and we were off by 10AM It was just two of us and the instructor. I don’t think the other guy was ready for the bumps but he tried real hard on the first run fell a few times so the instructor took us to some groomed blacks and worked on linking short turns. I picked up a few things and we were off to the bumps. I was proud of how I did. It’s amazing how my confidence boosts up when I’m with an instructor. The other guy had a pretty bad yard sale and called it a day. Now I had 45 minutes left with the instructor by myself. We skied hard down the bumps and my confidence grew on uneven terrain. After my lesson, I met up with my buddies for lunch and we headed out. I never had a better time skiing than I did that afternoon. Confidence high from the tune up the instructor gave me, wonderful soft snow, I was in a really good place. My buddies and I had a great time skiing hard and goofing around.

Yesterday, we were off for back for home with a stop at Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast. A great trip all in all and K-Mart wasn’t too crowded. Thanks for reading.

BeanoNYC

ALLSKIING said:
Sounds like a nice trip....but what happened to the pics? :wink: I will be at K with a bunch of friends on the 13th for a few days.

I didn't take too many pics, but I'll get them up as soon as I get a chance.

Greg

Staff member
Nice report, Rich. You sound like I used to be during my first few seasons of skiing. I used to lose my patience quickly waiting for others to get it together. I used to think to myself, "why isn't everyone as excited about skiing as me?" Something can be said for solo skiing... I've learned to be more patient over the years as skiing with others (especially those at the same or better ability level) is also a lot of fun.

Vortex

I hate waiting around. Well I don't, If your not ready ow well. Great Report. The bumps are tough glad you made strides. Jealous. Laundry and beer. Progressive thinking there.